Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to jack a Cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004 | 01:29 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Default How to jack a Cab

There are lots and lots of posts on how to jack up a Coupe and even pretty pictures showing where to place the jacks and stands. But Cabs have different floor pans. I have read many posts here and on 968.net but have not found definitive advice for jacking a cab. Ill take some photos and post a guide once its done.

Some posters recommend the front jack points behind the front wheels and others say not to use those because they can damage the floor pan.

Many posts recommend using a jack point under the door to jack up a whole side at a time, I cant find this point on my Cab.

I have three floor jacks and six stands available.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-03-2004 | 02:00 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

the jack point under the door is not a big **** like the other jack points, it's just a hole. it can be found under the diamond mark under the door

i don't know about bending the floorboards but as far as i'm concerned, if the factory put a jack point on the car, it's usable. so in total, there are 3 on each side: the one behind the wheel, the one under the diamond, and the one in the rear is next to the muffler on the driver's side. so 6 total points. you can use the middle ones to lift the car and put the jack stands under the front or rear ***** (depending on where you want to lift)
Old 01-03-2004 | 02:21 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Hi Bruce,

This is an interesting topic that should come up more often, as there were less than 6K of these cars built and not much information is available.

Having two of them, myself, I have found the front jacking points in the Owners Manual to be less than satisfactory. If you look closely, the diagram specifies a different point for cabriolet cars, which is more complicated when the car is also a turbo, as there is an additional engine protection pan to deal with, so I have been forced to find a better way to raise the car.

As far as the S2 cab is concerned, looking under your car, you will see the points referred to in the manual. They are inboard from the "donuts" right behind the front wheel wells and marked with a square indentation, but I do not recommend using them. Looking at the cabrio tech supplement, I believe the front jacking points specified in the manual for cabrios correspond to a structural reinforcement in the cabriolet chassis, but I prefer to use the frame rails. Only a few inches of them are accessible on the cabrios, but they are by far the most solid jacking point. They look like beams that taper off at the front, close to the center of the undercarriage.

What you need to do is drive the car up onto some 2"x4" wood planks for added clearance. Then jack the car up momentarily by the donuts, one side at a time, giving you just enough time to put the jackstand underneath the front frame rail, and drop the floor jack immediately, as the donuts are not the best jacking point. You can use a small block of wood over the jackstand to protect the undercarriage. I use hockey pucks.

Let me know if I can clarify this further.
Old 01-03-2004 | 02:48 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

"the jack point under the door is not a big **** like the other jack points, it's just a hole. it can be found under the diamond mark under the door."

Ok I have this hole, can someone confirm whether the weight should be placed on the surface around the hole or on upper floorpan exposed by the hole?
Old 01-03-2004 | 03:00 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Yes, there is indeed a hole, but I find it too small to fit the floor jack saddle into it. It's mainly meant for the emergency jack in the spare tire bin. Dualblade, what to you use to jack the car by these holes?

The surrounding area by no means is meant to support the weight of the car.
Old 03-19-2004 | 01:06 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Just put the jack aroudn the whole... It is suported... I use it all the time (I am useing it right now as a matter of fact..
Old 03-19-2004 | 01:47 AM
Dave
Race Car

The area around the hole is indeed strong enough to support the car, it was put there for exactly this purpose. It was not, however designed for a standard jack, there is a "jack plate" available that goes between the jack and the car. The "jack plate" is a flat steel plate with a bump in the center to locate it in the hole at the center of the jack point, it also (usually) has rubber bonded to the surface that touches the car. I have used both a home made version of this piece with a floor jack and the little jack that came with the car numerous times and can promise you that the weak link in the system is the jack, not the floorpan!
Luis, check your math, that 6000 number doesn't work.
Old 03-19-2004 | 01:51 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

been useing my normal floor jack for 14 years no problems yet
Old 03-19-2004 | 10:01 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Dave
Luis, check your math, that 6000 number doesn't work.
I already did. Perhaps you have a better source? Per the Production and Import Figures in the 924/944 FAQ compiled by Kevin Gross:

944S2 Cabriolet

Year / US / RoW / Total

1989 / 16 / ? / 16
1990 / 2,862 /449 /3,321
1991 / 562 / 1,140 / 1,702

Total US: 2,402
Total RoW: 3,254

TOTAL Production: 5,656

(Sources: L. Boschen and J. Barth, "Das grosse Buch der Porsche-Typen."
W. Oswald, "Deutsche Automobile seit 1945.")
Old 03-19-2004 | 10:16 AM
Dave
Race Car

That explains it I thought you were refering to all the cabs (including turbos and 968s) in the series.
Edit, I would have thought there were more 1991 S2 cabs in the US than that, I've been keeping an eye out for the right deal on the right '91 coupe for a long time and itseems like cabs outnumbered coupes that year by ~ 3:1.
Old 03-19-2004 | 10:34 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Dave
That explains it I thought you were refering to all the cabs (including turbos and 968s) in the series.
Yes, that was not counting the 968 cabs. The 944 Turbo cabs, which shared the S2 chassis, would "only" add another 528 cars for a total of 6,184. I would consider the 968 cab to be a different car (4,389 built, 2,260 to the U.S.)

At any rate, if you consider that over 113K 944 NAs and over 25K 951s were built, the S2 cab is a fairly rare model. Your educated eye spots them now and then, but many people have never seen a 944 cab. Not to mention outside the U.S.

Quick Reply: How to jack a Cab