Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 vs Harley Davidson

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 07:53 PM
MY83944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I very much look forward to meeting you and the KC crew this year FOR SURE!
Thanks Scott!
Old 01-02-2004, 09:31 PM
grants_968
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by ElonDooberhead
I just ordered an '04 1200 Custom when I went home for 2 weeks leave last month- I plan to upgrade to a Vrod or Softail next year. I think it will be a great backup with the 951, and will give me a chance to take off some miles...
I like the V-Rod. Looks, HP, torque, ride. Before you buy a V-Rod, check the cost and required frequency of valve adjustment. Can be a turn off.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:32 PM
TheMAXX
Instructor

I have been thinking of someday buying a Harley. They seem like a good cruising bike. My bike (Honda CX500 Turbo) seems to always want to be driven at least 70mph. My bike is a kick to ride. But I need to slow down a bit. So is a Harley a good choice for this? For resale value it looks like Harley is a better choice then a look a like.

What is the boost on a Turbo 951? The specs on my bike say it boosts up to 17.8lbs. I think it was Yamaha that came out with a Turbo bike the same year as mine but the boost was lower and the magazine articles said it ran out of boost way before the Honda. Now some of the new stock none turbo bikes are faster then my turbo.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:08 AM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

HD resale (IMHO) is about to take a HUGE hit in the coming years. There's been a LOT of production and demand as the Baby Boomers get through their mid-life and retirement issues. Soon, those same boomers will realize that they simply can't afford the quality of life to which they've become acustom and they'll start cutting the fat. There will be a glut in the market (as increased production hits a wall where there's minimal demand and a vast used market), and bikes will drop in price... substantailly in many cases. I'll buy my 2nd HD at that time (the first was a mistake, but I walked away without losing money).

Do NOT buy a vehicle with 'investment' or resale in mind. Buy the bike that fits your riding style, tastes and budget... that's the only way you'll be happy with the decision.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:11 AM
tomc_85.5_944
Racer

Guys, we really don't need to go there. ANY bike other than a cruiser, will smoke ANY 44 variant, in a straight line. I am putting about 170 RWHP down on my 12, and it takes a car with over 600RWHP to keep up with me in a straight line. And I am a big guy and hurt the Cd of the bike with my size. Hate to say it, but most modern 600's would spank a 951. Not trying to start an argument here, but just look at the hp to weight ratio of normal street/sport bikes. For the fun of it, a buddy of mine raced a custom "hardly-able-to-run" (no idea the size) and he was on a 600. He was pulling ahead when I passed both of them on the back tire. Stock geared, the 12 hits the rev limiter at 89-91mph. IN FIRST GEAR. Only five more to go. I can appreciate how fast cars are, but the guy you were playing with was A) on a slow, heavy bike, and B) unsure how to handle his behemoth. Good story, but don't let it go to your head....

Or I'll pass you at 120 on one wheel.....In SECOND gear. heheheheheheeee
Old 01-03-2004, 02:27 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grants_968, what more can you tell me about the maintinence on the V-Rod? If it were a problem, I probably wouldnt keep the bike (long at least) once the warranty expires...
Old 01-03-2004, 07:07 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gotten to play with a couple of bikes, mainly just that, playing. I had a guy and his girl pull out behind me and my brother ripping along a little curvy backroad and he cut quite a few corners to keep up, but it wasn't really quick as I could pull him on the straights if they were very long.

We got down to a little intersection and as I went to turn right and for him to turn straight he and his girl gave me a big wave....and I did wave back.

Was lotsa fun. There are slow bikes out there though....I've kept up with a couple of them in some real junkers. Then there are the really fast bikes.....

Driving straight isn't really what 944s were meant for though....
Old 01-03-2004, 10:12 PM
MY83944
Racer

ZX-12 is an exceptionally quick and fast bike.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:31 PM
grants_968
Racer

Originally posted by Brian McCoy
HD resale (IMHO) is about to take a HUGE hit in the coming years. There's been a LOT of production and demand as the Baby Boomers get through their mid-life and retirement issues. Soon, those same boomers will realize that they simply can't afford the quality of life to which they've become acustom and they'll start cutting the fat. There will be a glut in the market (as increased production hits a wall where there's minimal demand and a vast used market), and bikes will drop in price... substantailly in many cases. I'll buy my 2nd HD at that time (the first was a mistake, but I walked away without losing money).

Do NOT buy a vehicle with 'investment' or resale in mind. Buy the bike that fits your riding style, tastes and budget... that's the only way you'll be happy with the decision.
You are right in that production is up. But Harley-Davidson is like Porsche, they distribute to the dealers less than they can sell in a year. The dealers might not be able to charge 10% to 20% over MSRP, but that will still leave them with a tidy revenue per bike sold.

Regarding the demographics, look for the leading edge of the Echo Boomers to enter the prime Harley buying age group as the trailing edge of the Baby-Boomers age out of the prime buying age range. There are about as many Echo Boomers as there are Baby-Boomers.

See http://www.census.gov

Old 01-03-2004, 10:42 PM
grants_968
Racer

Default Re: Re: Re: 944 vs Harley Davidson

Originally posted by brrt50cal
Werd
For those that need a dictionary for the meaning of "werd", see

Urban Dictionary

Quick Reply: 944 vs Harley Davidson