Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car won't start after clutch job (sorta)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 06:24 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much am i looking at for a scope?
Old 12-30-2003, 06:30 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

I guess if you had an analog volt meter with a low scale you would see the needle come up to 2 to 3 volts as you cranked the engine. Don't think you would see the spike of the TDC location.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:41 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

If you ohm out the sensor and it comes back .6 to 1.6 K ohms then the sensor is good. You would then check that the clearance is 0.8 mm.

You should see 12 vdc at the coil and at the ignition module that the coil is connected to. Take a spare spark plug, pull a wire and stick the plug into it. Lay it on the intake manifold so the spark plug grounds and crank the car.

To check that the injectors are firing you need a "noid" light. Basically just a diode and resistor in series. Get the one for Bosch so it fits the plugs.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:32 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

*update*

i did the spark check and the car does in fact have spark. i didn't check all the plugs but i know cylinder 1 is getting spark. is this a good enough test to try other things or should i still put a scope on the reference sensor's output?

also, when pulling the plugs to clean them off, i noticed that they were soaked with gas after about 10sec of cranking. is this normal or am i running too rich to start? could this be a sign of a failed fpr? vacuum lines hooked up wrong? no air coming in to the cylinder (failed isv or something like that?) if there's anything else i should be checking for please explain. could the afm have anything to do with this at all? just asking because i did take it apart so if that's a possibility, i'll align it back to stock. thanks for any help.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:24 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Just about gone over everything. As to your question on the vacuum being hooked up wrong; it's possible. The small vacuum lines that go to the fuel pressure reg and dampener come off of the intake manifold side of the throttle body. Should also go to the vent valve for the crank case. If the small vacuum lines are not connected, open end, then there is no vacuum to control the fuel pressure.

As to the AFS; If you just moved the wipers in or out with out messing with the spring inside than it's still close enough to spec not to worry.

As you are getting spark you have to be getting injector pulse. It's an 'S' only one sensor.

The idle control valve only comes into play when you get it started.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:31 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Just about gone over everything. As to your question on the vacuum being hooked up wrong; it's possible. The small vacuum lines that go to the fuel pressure reg and dampener come off of the intake manifold side of the throttle body. Should also go to the vent valve for the crank case. If the small vacuum lines are not connected, open end, then there is no vacuum to control the fuel pressure.

As to the AFS; If you just moved the wipers in or out with out messing with the spring inside than it's still close enough to spec not to worry.

As you are getting spark you have to be getting injector pulse. It's an 'S' only one sensor.

The idle control valve only comes into play when you get it started.
yeah, like i said, my plugs are drenched so i was pretty sure i was getting spark all along. if i was running way rich or something was wrong, would there be any codes that i can read? i know newer cars are pretty good like that but i wasn't sure with pre-OBD
Old 01-02-2004, 07:32 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I vote for the AFM having a problem. You had it out and it was messed with.

If you are getting spark the speed/reference sensor is giving the DME a signal. So that is not the problem. Unplug the AFM and try to start the car.

Let us know what happens.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:05 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

I'm willing to bet it's the electrical plug on the AFM.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:29 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by cruise98
I vote for the AFM having a problem. You had it out and it was messed with.

If you are getting spark the speed/reference sensor is giving the DME a signal. So that is not the problem. Unplug the AFM and try to start the car.

Let us know what happens.
tried this, no go. i thought the car wouldn't start without the afm being plugged in
Old 01-02-2004, 08:45 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car will start and idle with the AFM unplugged, but if you try to give it any throttle it'll chug, chug and stall unless you let off the throttle.

It will be a rough idle, but an idle.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:17 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

is there any way to reset the dme? like is there some series of turning the key on and off to reset it? or for that matter, is there a quick way to retrieve codes by turning the key on and off? i know that works in some cars but didn't know the specifics for our cars. gotta admit, i'm feeling kind of defeated and i could really use some help here. is there anyone who's local to me who could check it out? i'd be happy to give a few bucks or lunch and beer. if not, i might have to take it somewhere, which is kind of a pain but if it has to be then so be it. i'm at the end of my diagnostic skills unless anyone else has more suggestions
Old 01-02-2004, 09:29 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

The only way I know to reset the DME is to disconnect the battery.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:30 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

The only way I know to reset the DME is to disconnect the battery.
oh ok. i know in some cars, the stored values don't actually get cleared until you do something (just disconnecting the battery isn't enough).
Old 01-03-2004, 08:25 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Andrew:

Have you checked the DME grounds at the bellhousing and engine block?
Old 01-03-2004, 10:38 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Andrew:

Have you checked the DME grounds at the bellhousing and engine block?
where is the ground on the engine block? i know where the two wires are grounded on the bellhousing and i'll try cleaning them up

Quick Reply: car won't start after clutch job (sorta)