Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 rear end alignment questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 09:02 AM
LEAKYSEALS951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 rear end alignment questions

Greetings,
I have a question regarding the alignment on the rear end of a 87' 944 turbo. How do you adjust toe in??? i've found the eccentric bolt for ride height, and the eccentric for camber adjustment, but I need a wee bit of toe out, to correct my current slight toe-in. I'm used to early model 911 models which have a separate eccentric for toe in and camber. This is slightly different. What am I missing??? Any suggestions?????
Thanks a bunch,
Ron
Old 12-30-2003, 10:01 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Ron;

Here's the missing pieces to solve your puzzlement.

You've obviously discovered that bolt #9 is your ride height eccentric, and #8 is your camber eccentric. The red arrows point to the toe adjustment slot. With the help of the eccentric tool below you can do the alignment. It is utterly IMPOSSIBLE without that tool!

The shoulder of the tool rests in the round hole in the control arm mount plate, and the pin goes in the slot in the trailing arm. You will find when you try or watch the alignment that you are playing camber and toe against the eachother as they both effect eachother. You will be working them both simultaneously. Kind of a dumb system if you ask me. I've often thought about converting to a smarter system like the 928 or 993. That would be fun!!!!

It is a bit tricky, and can be a real bitch on some cars. Be patient and you'll get it!

www.redlinerennsport.com
Old 12-30-2003, 11:43 AM
LEAKYSEALS951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great! Another tool to buy. As if my box of specialized porsche tools wasnt full enough. And to think I was hoping they had figured out a way not to have to do the "toe-in" vs. "camber" dance during adjustment cause they were smart enough to place an eccentric to adjust ride height versus having to reset the torsion bars like I was used to on early 911's. Wishfull thinking, I guess. Thanks so much for the detailed reply!
Sincerely,
Ron

Quick Reply: 944 rear end alignment questions