Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 05:55 PM
ryeske944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question quick question

After searching through the archives, I'm confused about one thing. If you replace the rear schocks with coilover units, do you have to do anything with the T-bars? Do they stay in and you do nothing, or do you have to take them out, or do you have to adjust them?
Old 12-29-2003, 06:21 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

To quickly answer your question, yes.

Actually, you can either leave the torsion bars in or remove them. If you leave them in, the coilover and t-bar work together as a combined spring. If you take them out, you will need to up the spring rate of the coilover spring to fully suspend the rear of the car.

Also, if you leave the T-Bars in and add the coilovers, you will need to adjust the height of the rear end by either adjusting the t-bar eccentric or reindexing.

You probably want to know which way to go....and for this I have no idea.

From what I have gathered, for street and street+track applications, you should leave the t-bars in. For track-only applications, people say that it is ok to pull the t-bars.

I guess this is due to stress on the lower shock mount points. I have no experience with this, so I cannot answer as to whether this holds water. It seems to still be up for debate.

What coil-over are you thinking about using? What are you running for the front?

Max
Old 12-29-2003, 06:33 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the middle of researching my mid-winter suspension upgrade, and this is what I've found:

1. There are 2 reasons for not replacing the Torsion bars:
a. Cost: you basically have to drop the whole rear suspension to get to them.
b. PCA club racing: to run in stock classes, the T-bars much remain in the car.

That said, here are the 2 options I am currently considering for my upgrade:
1. 425lb coil overs front, 150lb helper springs rear (T-bars kept in place), plus revalved shock absorbers that match the heavier springs.
2. 350lb coil overs front, 125lb helper springs rear (again, T-bars kept in place), and revavled shocks.

I am also considering upgrading my sway bars to M030 front, Turbo cup rear.

Oh, my current setup is Option 474 (Sport shocks - Koni Yellows), stock front sway bar, M030 19mm 968 rear sway bar.

HTH,
-Zoltan.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:01 PM
ryeske944
Instructor

Mac, I've got the koni inserts up front with 160#, but if I went with the coilovers in the rear, I would upgrade to something probably in the 200-350# range because the car will only be used on the street (possibly autoX in the future, but not track). I'm thinking about the KLA coilovers

Quick Reply: quick question