Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003 | 04:46 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Default steering problems

i was driving down the road kinda fast like 40 in a 25 zone until i see this HUGE bump..it was a man hol that was like sticking above teh ground a few inches.so i slam the brakes but i couldnt miss it and i launched it like a ramp.i hear this spine chilling crunching noise.i immediatly pull over to see but there was very little light so i head home.on the way home my steering starts to give me problems like when i try to turn left or right going slow.i got home and check ...and i find dry oil splater on my header heat shield,under the cam cover/distributor and all over my timing belt cover.at first i thought it was the power steering oil but i go to check and i still got plenty.then i goto check my engine oil and its weirdly low.so i think my oil cooler bursted open when i hit the bump(but its not leaking now) and spilled all over my engine but why is my steering giving me problems?any help or question please post them here.thanks in advance...........why why did i have to speed in that area?!
Old 12-29-2003 | 11:33 AM
Flight_951
Pro

Hmm, this incident may be covered on your car insurance policy. My suggestion is to speak with them before messing around with your car (unless you don't have comprehensive coverage). This is a road hazard just like standing water.

Secondly, the county/state you live in should have rules about road construction and the condition of the road while the contractors work on it (which I think is what was happening). Contact the local office of the DOT to find out if the road was under construction. And take photos of the offending object with a ruler next to it for reference.

I've had my car repaired previously in these types of situations. Good luck.

(BTW, I'd leave out the 40 in a 25 part when you speak with any of these people.)
Old 12-30-2003 | 02:52 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

well my dad checked it out and it seems like the oil that leaked out of the oil cooler got to the power steering belt and i guess the belt was slipping so much i couldnt steer any more.any one know an alternative to the 951s tiny oil cooler?TIA

Quick Reply: steering problems