Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tarett Front Sway bar broken mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 05:47 PM
Porvair
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"both a horizontal and vertical force on the bracket with force resultant trying to push the vertical support bracket forward. This puts the bracket in a shear mode."

That sure looks like what happened here. I am going to be very careful in setting this up once I get the new mounts as a shear-failure at speed could be a disaster. If both of the mounts gave up simultaneously then there is nothing to keep the bar from dropping. Not sure if the arms would bump off the tie rods, but I'd hate to see what would happen if the leading edge of the bar were to hit the pavement at speed.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:18 PM
Porvair
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So the good folks at Tarett send a new set of mounting brackets, which I just installed. I disconnected the drop links to ensure that there was zero binding as I tightened up the brackets and the bearing blocks to the new brackets and then reconnected the drop links once I ensured no binding.

Anything else I should be on the lookout for? Since I don't know definitively what caused the initial problem I am going to be very wary and keep an eye on this, especially before/during/after track days.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:26 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Porvair

Anything else I should be on the lookout for? Since I don't know definitively what caused the initial problem I am going to be very wary and keep an eye on this, especially before/during/after track days.
The setting of the sway bar must be done at ride height. Disconnect one drop link and then raise the opposite lower A arm to essentially level and verify where the sway bar spline adjustment arm is indexed relative to the lower control, the adjustment level, one with the bolts should be parallel to the lower control arm. If not, reminded the spline arm.

Reset set the spline arm on the other side to match using the above procedure

Quick Reply: Tarett Front Sway bar broken mount