Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wohooo!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003 | 01:44 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Default Wohooo!

This morning I received my new plates for the white 944!!
Old 12-24-2003 | 08:17 PM
icat
Race Car

Congrats! I'll have to assume that "over there" requires a plate before you can drive. On this side of the pond we get a paper tag that we can use until the final tags arrive in the mail (at least that's how it works in Texas - seems every state in the union is a bit different). Have fun!
Old 12-24-2003 | 08:57 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally posted by icat
Congrats! I'll have to assume that "over there" requires a plate before you can drive. On this side of the pond we get a paper tag that we can use until the final tags arrive in the mail (at least that's how it works in Texas - seems every state in the union is a bit different). Have fun!
The thing is that the car is imported from Switzerland which not only is another country but also not an EU country so it's not really in the same registration system at all.

What I've needed to do so far is:

1: Get the car de-registered in Switzerland Previous owner (Adrian Streather who is and admin here the Rennlist) did this.

2: Get the car exported from Switzerland and get the proper documents to get it out of said country.

3: Get the car through Swedish customs.

4: Cash out for Swedish VAT on the car, 25% of it's market value.

5: Send the customs documents to the Swedish car registration organ. They send out the plates. So this is the point where I am now..

6: Get the car verified as road legal in Sweden and pay the fee for this, about USD320.

7: Have it inspected by an insurance company. To avoid insurance fraud.

8: Pay road tax (yearly, about ~USD200) and a recycling fee (one time sum of ~USD190).

9: Enjoy it as a fully registered and insured car.

So I've got a bit left of the journey to get it road legal... The risk of getting stopped when having plates on the car is pretty minimal though..
Old 12-25-2003 | 08:53 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

The Swiss importer for Porsche cars, AMAG, puts nice little plaques riveted to the chassis on the fender side of the battery tray indicating the Swiss homologation code. Your Swedish code will be different, but this plaque will always identify the car as a "Swiss" Porsche.
Old 12-25-2003 | 09:19 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally posted by Luis de Prat
The Swiss importer for Porsche cars, AMAG, puts nice little plaques riveted to the chassis on the fender side of the battery tray indicating the Swiss homologation code. Your Swedish code will be different, but this plaque will always identify the car as a "Swiss" Porsche.
Thanks Luis!

I saw that plaque and was wondering what it was for.
Old 12-25-2003 | 09:26 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

You're welcome. I've done this twice already and it's pretty time consuming!
Originally posted by sweanders
4: Cash out for Swedish VAT on the car, 25% of it's market value.
Not sure from your post whether you've paid this yet or not, but when I did this the Spanish customs waived the 10% import duties because there is a trade agreement between Switzerland and E.C. countries. I only had to pay the VAT, which was 16% in Spain.
Happy holidays!
Old 12-25-2003 | 09:51 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally posted by Luis de Prat
You're welcome. I've done this twice already and it's pretty time consuming!

Not sure from your post whether you've paid this yet or not, but when I did this the Spanish customs waived the 10% import duties because there is a trade agreement between Switzerland and E.C. countries. I only had to pay the VAT, which was 16% in Spain.
Happy holidays!
Let's just say that the customs guy was very nice to me and among other things said that "it would a shame to pay to much tax"...

The car was valued to almost nothing and I then paid 25% VAT on that sum..

So I basicly paid 25% of almost nothing which comes out to very little money compared to 25% of a lot more.
Old 12-26-2003 | 03:45 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Man that sounds like a PITA Anders.. I just have to get new plates, pay a excise tax and possibly re-title.. just from moving one more state east..

I'm guessing around 250$ US...
Old 12-26-2003 | 08:42 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Chris, in your case, the European customs office would consider it "change of residency," and you would pay zero duties or taxes. Just around the same money as what you quoted across states for a technical inspection and first time registration in the new country of residence.
Old 12-27-2003 | 07:04 PM
James86-951
Pro

That sounds almost as bad as having a Canadian car re-registered here in GA. The DMV just said "no." It's hard to get past that. (Granted, it was a Hyundai I got for free.)

Quick Reply: Wohooo!