Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Floating" Idle question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 09:16 PM
Sasha
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I live in San Bernardino, about 15 miles from Riverside...

Thanks
Old 12-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahh
its good to know im not the only one with a haunted car........
Old 12-23-2003, 09:31 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Still running the Orange Festival? I used to cruise San Berdo in the late 60's in my 55 Chevy 2 door wagon. Before that I can remember stopping at the first McDonalds with my grandfather on our way to Lake Isabel.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:33 PM
Boobers
Advanced

Sasha, I'm having the same problem with my 85.5 (sort of)

My problem is that when I take my foot off the gas, it seems to have a hard time finding the idle, and drops below 800 on the tach (for just a moment) sputters and then finds 800 again and runs smoothly.

I just replaced the motor mounts (non OEM). Unfortunately, I did not read the posts on this board before I bought my mounts. The car does run far smoother with the new mounts though. Time will tell on thier durability.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:36 PM
Sasha
Instructor

I am originially not from around here, I am not familiar with regional history. I thik they still do the Orange thing, but unfortunately I don't follow that stuff...
Sounds like you know the area well. Where was the first McD?

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:51 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by Sasha
I am originially not from around here, I am not familiar with regional history. I thik they still do the Orange thing, but unfortunately I don't follow that stuff...
Sounds like you know the area well. Where was the first McD?

Thanks.
If the older McDonalds with the arches is still on the north end of E street where it meets Highland it was accross the street and to the south. Last I recall it was torn down many years ago.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:05 PM
Sasha
Instructor

Boobers,
You are desribing a slightly different problem - I think it even has a name - "idle dip" or something similar. It is a known problem with pre-85.5 models, attributed to DME not being able to control idle correctly. Porcshe fixed this problem with EEPROM programming for late models. Therefore, two things
1) You might (very unlikely) have an older DME or older chip...
2) The cause for your problem is the same as mine and just the symptom is different. In this case I will let you know if I fiund the cause.

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:08 PM
Sasha
Instructor

In continuation of my restoration effort, I pulled out the entire entirior, including carpets, seats, steering wheel and the dash. I won't get a chance to troubleshoot the idling problem until I put the dash back in and the instrument cluster in it. I will post a new topic on my findings as soon as I figure it out...

On a plus side, I am able to answer all kinds of questions about what's inside the dash and how to take it apart... So go ahead and ask. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:30 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by Boobers
Sasha, I'm having the same problem with my 85.5 (sort of)

My problem is that when I take my foot off the gas, it seems to have a hard time finding the idle, and drops below 800 on the tach (for just a moment) sputters and then finds 800 again and runs smoothly.

I just replaced the motor mounts (non OEM). Unfortunately, I did not read the posts on this board before I bought my mounts. The car does run far smoother with the new mounts though. Time will tell on thier durability.
An 85.5 with the newer dash is the same as the 86. You need to bridge the pins on the same plug and set your idle at 900 not 800 warm.

You also need to set the throttle position switch. Should just click as the throttle closes.

Once you do this and your problem still exists other things can be checked.

Quick Reply: "Floating" Idle question