Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best/Worst Roads

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 08:42 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best/Worst Roads

Hey Everyone,
One thing that we all have in common is our love for Porsches. However, how we enjoy them as individuals is always different. I love going on the track and improving my driving skills. But I must admit there is nothing quite like taking the top off my 914 on my favorite road and falling into a perfect rhythm with the road.
Then there are those roads that we get caught on in our Porsches and swear we will never bring them on that road again. So I put the question out there to you, what is your favorite and least favorite roads you have ever driven in you favorite Porsche.
I know my favorite is RT. 1A that runs along the NH coast line. My least favorite not counting being stuck in traffic is I-84 in CT. (so boring). I look forward to you responses. Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 12-22-2003, 08:45 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

Favorite Roads: There are about 20 different roads up in Blowing Rock NC that I try to take a day trip to at least a few times a year.

Least Favorite: Anything outside of Atlanta during rush hour (why is it called rush hour anyway when it last 1/2 the day)
Old 12-22-2003, 10:11 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sea to sky from Vancouver to Whistler, until they straighten it out for the Olympics.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:58 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

favorite: ditto Ian - climbing the mountain to Blowing Rock on 321.

worst: everywhere else
Old 12-22-2003, 11:04 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Favorites:
- The roads around Ringwood, NJ and Bear Mountain State Park in NY. (Mmmm... Storm King Highway)
- The country roads around Grantham, PA (where I went to college: Messiah College) oh the great fun I had when I was young and foolish....
- Roads that lead to Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, VIR...etc.

Least Favorite roads I've travelled:
- Route 3 NJ in rush hour traffic.
- Kennedy Blvd. North Bergen / Jersey City, NJ
- The Belt around DC
- The LA 'freeway' system

That's all for now...
-Z.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:11 PM
Wagz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna have to second the sea to sky Hwy.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:13 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Favorites: GA60 and this www.tailofthedragon.com
Least favorite - GA400 - 285 can be kinda fun... unless the collective speed is under 30...

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2003, 11:45 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Wagz
I'm gonna have to second the sea to sky Hwy.
at 2 AM on a clear summer night....... in the right car tho!
Old 12-23-2003, 01:22 AM
Wagz
Racer

What car would that be Randy?
Old 12-23-2003, 01:52 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

favorite roads... GREAT THREAD!!!

lets see.. hard to say since ive driven across the country in almost every region..

im gonna say US 34 in colorado, US 6 in utah, blue ridge parkway in NC,
US 1 in california, US 50 in nevada (the lonliest highway in america)

oh yeah.. california state route 58, between Bakersfield and san louis obispo.. great twisties, clifs, those amazing switch backs, hair pin turns, secluded areas, canyons.. lost the *** end of my car for the first time on that one!!! (which is hard to do in a 912)

why all of these? twisty, majestic, beautiful scenery, crazy twisty roads.
kinda roads i never thought i would ever be privlidged to drive on. if wanna pull off for a second the scenery and landscape draws you into its boosm. if you wanna drive like you stole it, you become one with the car and road, and experience a sense of nirvana, of which only an orgasm could compare.

check out the pictures from my trips, on both web pages and you will clearly see what im talkin bout.

what can i say about the roads of america? well.. lets just say the road goes on forever.

keep the faith,
Harry
Old 12-23-2003, 02:15 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Worst= Just about anywhere in the midwest, particularly states like Illinois or Iowa where it's just flat fields for miles and miles on straight, level roads.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:20 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

actually your wrong man.. iowa isnt so bad.. it rolls man.. its not flat at all! (once you get into the meat and bones of it that is). and when you take crazy country roads you can land in some kinda diner, and eat some home grown meals.. gods own granola! i love those ma and pa restraunts in iowa and nebraska. i have to fully agree that they are not the most exciting as far as skill goes.. and they are like box diagrams those road maps... but if you really think about where you are, what youre doing, as well as the past; the geography and of the people who have been there hundreds of years ago.. its kinda fascinating. ahh.. yes.. is this the land that was once truely roamed by some bands of sioux? and why does it seem like all the roads in iowa are crimson hued? that has always dumb founded me!!

and i must agree.. illinois roads suck.. im sorry.. even i with my twisted optimism, idealistic notions, and romantic sense of travel cant get too excited about the roads in illinois. (chicago and historical sights are cool though) "yay.. we just drove over the wabash... and look kids.. some guy with a black firebird is speeding up to catch that guy whos going fast.. oh would you look at that, he has a police light behind his front windshield.. how exciting.."

as far as my least favorite goes..
3 least favorites.. i71 between coincinatti, columbus and cleveland.. construction 24/7/365. they fix it, the ice and salt ruins it when it all thaws in spring.

the Pensylvania turnpike.. too claustrophobic, semis next to you going down the mountians as well as barreling down from behind. the guard rail is 2 feel from your door.. not my favorite road.. especially for 9 hours straight going to philly. its not that going fast is a problem.. its that you know that the brakes on these rigs can go out, and if they are next to you, can loose controll, taking you with them. and if they are behind you.. well they are heavier.. and behind you.. going the same speed.. more momentum.. big crash.

finally i270 in columbus. as bad as i71 for construction.. and some damn fool wants to shoot people.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:55 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with peckster and randy...good choice
Especially when following all the other porsches up to the PCA Canada West meeting every year...
For all of you that don't know the road...you have no idea what you're missing!
Old 12-23-2003, 10:51 AM
slinky
Burning Brakes

The worst roads in the country have to be in Lancaster, PA. Can you say "pothole"?
Old 12-23-2003, 11:02 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by slinky
The worst roads in the country have to be in Lancaster, PA. Can you say "pothole"?
Yea, 'cause I live in New Jersey (NY Metro area) - home of the original pothole!

-Z.

Quick Reply: Best/Worst Roads