Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rewiring Fuse Box - Have questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 12:03 AM
Machbin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rewiring Fuse Box - Have questions

I have had intermittent electrical problems with turn signals and head lights not working. Tried swapping fuses and relays and nothing worked. This car has had at least three owners that I know of, so the wiring is a mess. The PO had two extra fuse boxes he gave me with the car and said he had planned on replacing them and now I know why and I think I found the source of a lot of my problems. https://imgur.com/ThhaOw3
When testing those ground connections, there isn't even continuity across the individual pins due to the amount of oxidation.

So I ripped out the old fuse box and am putting new connectors on everything as they are almost all corroded. The new one looks so much better! https://imgur.com/JShH50l

My question is that on the hot wires, I only had connections on pins 1,2,4 and 5. And as you can see, plugs 2 and 5 have two 12ga wires on the same connector (and these actually look orginal). Is there any reason I can't split these out to other single connections on plugs 3 and 6 since they aren't used on my fuse box. https://imgur.com/S8C8fxr
Old 02-16-2018, 08:52 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In the first photo you are showing two male spade connectors next to each other in section "g" which is the #15 bus line (switched power). So connecting battery power to those connector would a no. However section "h" which is for the #30 bus line (unswitch power) any unused connector would be ok to split the load into. A bit of dielectric grease wouldn't hurt either.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:56 AM
Machbin
Intermediate

Thanks, I mistook the g and h sections for ground and hot. So yes I am wanting to split two wires to single connections in the h section. Which since it is unswitched as you say confirms my suspicion that it would work, thanks!
My only concern was that it actually looked original so I was confused why Porsche would double up a wire like that
Old 02-16-2018, 10:29 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Machbin
I was confused why Porsche would double up a wire like that
The longer one own's a Porsche, the longer one is confused.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:55 PM
Machbin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by marc abrams
The longer one own's a Porsche, the longer one is confused.
I'm beginning to learn!

Quick Reply: Rewiring Fuse Box - Have questions