Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spark not sparky enough?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 03:38 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have missed it, but are you sure you are getting fuel to the pistons? Not the best idea, but you can pull the fuel rail out and see if they spray fuel...
Old 12-21-2003, 04:01 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno, if you have spark, and you have fuel, you would have to have 0 compression to not have ignition. And even then, it would turn over faster than hell, and I'm sure some other odd things would become apparant.
It sounds to me, like you have both spark and fuel, but not at the right time, check your firing order.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:21 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

well, it is begining to look like it is a timing issue. we took the engine to TDC via the flywheel marker. then, the cam sproket was not lined up to TDC. i don't know if they are both TDC markers, but i would asume they are. next, i know for certain that i am getting 0 compression in cylinder 2. my guess is the person my brother purchased the engine from put new belts on himself and didn't line anything up. therefor one of the valves is open at the wrong time (or smashed).

i guess now my question is if anyone knows if both the flywheel TDC marker and the cam sproket TDC need to be lined up at the same time??
Old 12-21-2003, 08:46 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by kevin Dubois
well, it is begining to look like it is a timing issue. we took the engine to TDC via the flywheel marker. then, the cam sproket was not lined up to TDC. i don't know if they are both TDC markers, but i would asume they are. next, i know for certain that i am getting 0 compression in cylinder 2. my guess is the person my brother purchased the engine from put new belts on himself and didn't line anything up. therefor one of the valves is open at the wrong time (or smashed).

i guess now my question is if anyone knows if both the flywheel TDC marker and the cam sproket TDC need to be lined up at the same time??
How do you know that you are not getting any compression in #2 if you haven't cranked the engine with the starter?

Yes the marks have to be lined up. That's why the marks are there.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:06 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

yeah the car would crank with the starter. and no, there was no compression because the TDC marks were not lined up. so yeah, for the most part, either we are really lucky and only need to get a belt tensioning tool and line them up, or else we are unlucky and will need to pull the head and replace some valves. most likely we are unlucky, but you never know.

my friend thought that the 3.0L engines might not have so much interference meaning the valves might be ok. not sure if he is right or not.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:19 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

The DHC's have been known to be "lucky". Keep your toes crossed.

You don't need the tool to tension the belts. Doesn't the S2's have spring tensioner on the timing belt?

The balance shaft belt can be a bit tight just to get the engine running. As well as the timing belt. Be careful not to break the mounting studs on the tension pulleys.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:40 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

most excellent! when i have my next day off i will see what i can do.

i will be keeping my fingers crossed until then.

thanks for the help SoCal!
Old 12-21-2003, 10:55 PM
jaibeiber
Pro

Yeah, thanks very much SoCal. however, maybe the DHOC's may be lucky but i am not. other wise i would not be in my current predicement. but i am praying.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:08 AM
hotshoe911
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you have spark and gas but no fire, you must have a timing issue or a crossed wire issue.

Is it possible that you jumped a tooth on your timing belt? This would cause the plugs to fire on the exhaust stroke, etc.

It's harder to cross wire a 4 banger than a 911 six, but check the wires anyway. Try laying the plugs out over the valve cover, in the dark, to see if they are firing in sequence.

My last guess would be water in your fuel, doesn't burn to well.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:41 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by jaibeiber
Yeah, thanks very much SoCal. however, maybe the DHOC's may be lucky but i am not. other wise i would not be in my current predicement. but i am praying.
I like more valves. I don't like the random nature of the 'S' type DOHC's failures. I have bent as many valves as I've had two timing belt failures. One from my laziness the second close after that from a bad belt. I will not have another.

Now you know why I'm so **** about timing belts.

Maintenance is the magic word.

In the last three years haunting the 944 bbs's I've read of one time that the belt failed on an 'S' and didn't bend anything.

I also like the S's higher compression.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:01 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The camshaft sprocket rotates 2:1 with the flywheel. Meaning if the flywheel is on the OT marker than the camshaft sprocket is on the OT marker or halfway there. The better method is to set the camshaft sprocket on OT and then check the flywheel OT marker, as well as balance shaft markers.

Christian
Old 12-23-2003, 03:02 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

no sorry, I mean 1:2 not 2:1.............ahhh you get the idea.

Christian
Old 12-23-2003, 03:04 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, just realized you were talking about a DOHC engine. I doubt the cam sprockets are geared like SOHC.

Christian
Old 12-23-2003, 07:48 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by DerSchlechtSpecht
Sorry, just realized you were talking about a DOHC engine. I doubt the cam sprockets are geared like SOHC.

Christian
I keep getting corn fused too. The cam gear is twice the diameter of the crank drive gear so it rotates 1/2 for each turn of the crank. That is two crank turns for one cam turn.

Yes the same ratio holds true for the DOHC's. The exhaust and intake lobes are on separate shafts. The chain drives the intake cam 1:1.

I like it. But I would have used a sprocket for the chain tensioner rather than a plastic pad.

Quick Reply: spark not sparky enough?