Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16 valve Intake & Valve Cover Paint Color

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 01:57 PM
Flormat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16 valve Intake & Valve Cover Paint Color

I don't post very often so if this topic has already been discussed please accept my apologies. As a kid I had any and everything Porsche drowning my bedroom. I had a dealership promo of the 944S 16 valve motor in a picture frame on my wall and the intake and valve color paint was just classy, subtle yet noticeable. I have had 2 944S's and 2 32 valve 1986 928s and on all of these vehicles the paint on these parts looked absolutely terrible. My current 944S still retains a very presentable intake manifold but the valve cover and cam gear housing next to it appear dreadful. I have located a readily available spray can that closely matches the original. It is a GM color called Light Drift Sand Metallic which Dupli-Color puts in a spray can that is found at your local parts stores. The under side of the valve cover has a small painted area which has held up very well and still looks original as seen in the last picture next to the newly painted cam gear housing. I hope this helps other who, like me, appreciate the factory stock appearance. Sorry the pictures are so big.

New paint next to old aged paint

New on left, original on right- pretty close!
Old 02-03-2018, 12:12 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

When new, the magnesium alloy "twin cam " cam cover( rocker cover) & the 944S intake manifold + the cam gear covers were a silver / aluminum colour , the reason is quite simple, the original paint was very rich in aluminum , but this paint( from the mid 1980's ) was highly susceptible to discoloration from the use of "Alkaline " cleaning agents , it turned the silver aluminum look to a beige colour in a fraction of a second if alkaline cleaners were used( it burns the aluminum in the top layer of paint ) , the reason I know that is I worked at a Porsche dealership when these 944S / 944S2 Porsche models were new & I was there ( in the same premises ) when a car detailer turned the new silver/aluminum looking cam cover ( rocker cover) and the manifold to beige in less than a second

If they are kept away from car detailers ( very rare ) and survive , over the decades the original silver / aluminum colour changes with the thousands of heat cycles & time to a silver / bronze colour

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
41 years working on Porsche cars 6 days a week
The following 2 users liked this post by JET951:
AnssiV (04-06-2020), kennycoulter (05-21-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 10:02 PM
Gatornapper
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

SO GRATEFUL FOR THIS MY FRIEND RICK B found for me as I repaint the cam cover on my '87 944 S!

And I just happen to have 4 cans of original Porsche Silver from Wolfsburg that I was going to use on the Mahle wheels on my 914 that will look great!

GN

Originally Posted by JET951
When new, the magnesium alloy "twin cam " cam cover( rocker cover) & the 944S intake manifold + the cam gear covers were a silver / aluminum colour , the reason is quite simple, the original paint was very rich in aluminum , but this paint( from the mid 1980's ) was highly susceptible to discoloration from the use of "Alkaline " cleaning agents , it turned the silver aluminum look to a beige colour in a fraction of a second if alkaline cleaners were used( it burns the aluminum in the top layer of paint ) , the reason I know that is I worked at a Porsche dealership when these 944S / 944S2 Porsche models were new & I was there ( in the same premises ) when a car detailer turned the new silver/aluminum looking cam cover ( rocker cover) and the manifold to beige in less than a second

If they are kept away from car detailers ( very rare ) and survive , over the decades the original silver / aluminum colour changes with the thousands of heat cycles & time to a silver / bronze colour

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
41 years working on Porsche cars 6 days a week

Last edited by Gatornapper; 05-17-2024 at 10:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 16 valve Intake & Valve Cover Paint Color