Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate carpet.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 08:34 PM
Minus000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate carpet.

Never belive you can triumph where others have failed. I bought a set (trunk and pass compartment) molded carpet set from another rennlister. The price was good and I knew the risks, it was dangerous, I could feel the cold sweat on the back of my neck as I tried to install it. I spent about 2 days trying to get it to fit and even called local upholstry shops that gave me alot of good tips and advice how to do it right, even with all the searching, suggestions (steaming, ironing, ..ect) I still failed, failed to get it installed in any reasonable fasion. I curse ohio automat (I belive the culprit of my autrosity) After all the time, the trunk is great, a real visual improvement but for the front passenger compartment I couldn't reinstall my origonal carpet as I had cut it for ease or removal. In the end I had to hack together my origonal carpet covering from the floorboards up to the sills with the new set going over the pedals and torque tube hump. Sure, its still a visual improvement and for the price I payed I guess it was still worth it, but consider this a warning to anyone else searching for the cheap carpetting fix. I will have to redo it eventually but it isn't very noticable with the seats and floor mats in place but it annoys me to no end.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:04 AM
MTM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate carpet too! In my 944 it was originally brown, but now it is faded to a shade of purple and totally disintegrated. A while ago I was thinking about buying a molded carpet set from World Upholstery, but I never actually got around to it. Now that I hear how poorly these kits fit, I'm kinda glad I didn't even try.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:07 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 572 Posts

Sorry to hear your pain. Carpets are pretty hard to do well becuase of all the bending/ stretching. It's probably best to bite the bullet and have a pro do it.

Matt
Old 12-20-2003, 02:48 PM
Minus000
Instructor

I don't think the pros could even could do it. It was cut wrong at the factory ( you could see it in the grain) and had warped and wrinked during the molding process, evening using steam to try and release the creases it wouldn't sit flat.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:59 PM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you take out all the seats and center console? If not then you didn't do the job right.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:04 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Was the purchased from World ?
Old 12-21-2003, 01:22 AM
Minus000
Instructor

Originally posted by Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Did you take out all the seats and center console? If not then you didn't do the job right.
Of course I did. I removed the carpets, sound deading (replaced with new sound deading of equal thickness) seats, centerconsole, gearshifter and dashboard. I think it was from performance products supplier origonally.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:13 AM
ewainwright
Racer

Thank-you for your repsonse. Have anyone ever gotten a good rug set?
Old 12-22-2003, 10:42 AM
nineeagles
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a complete carpet set (used) to install in my 944 this winter...haven't started yet (after paint) and I intend to remove everything except the dash.....the carpet is complete and not cut and I am hoping for a decent fit.....I hope my headaches aren't too bad.....any advice would be helplful and appreciated......
Old 12-22-2003, 01:10 PM
Minus000
Instructor

I plan to fix it eventually. I will buy a multipull peice front carpet set. One that can be glued i section by section. Good luck nineagles. I really do hope you are more succsesfull then me.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:45 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I just went through this with one of PartWerks moulded kits. Complete garbage. The rear is cut 2" too short and doesn't cover the rear cubbies all the way and the front vinyl matt under the driver's feet was actually stitched in _very_ crooked. Not to mention all the other places where it didn't fit right. I think the best bet is to find some factory carpet that is in good physical condition and re-dye it with some carpet dye to get the color back. All these molded kits are junk from what I've seen.

-nick

Quick Reply: I hate carpet.