Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early 944 rear wheel axle hub spacer "problem" - Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 03:04 PM
MY83944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jacked the car up, wheel spins great. Drives even better, man, it now coasts forever.
But I am paranoid about those spacers, you planted that seed of doubt in my head . . . Did I do it right or not . . .
Old 12-20-2003, 03:12 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by MY83944
Jacked the car up, wheel spins great. Drives even better, man, it now coasts forever.
But I am paranoid about those spacers, you planted that seed of doubt in my head . . . Did I do it right or not . . .
Questions! Questions Will Robinson!

The minor cmamfers on the bearings are of no importance. The large inner chamfer on the inner spacer is to allow for the radius of the stub axle flange to axle transistion.

The large outer chamfer of the outer spacer (it has no inner chamfer) is to keep the spacer away from the chage on the roller bearings. The nut mates against the entire end of the outer spacer (no chamfers).

Now clean the blood and hair off of that spring strut.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:07 PM
MY83944
Racer

The nut mates against the entire end of the outer spacer (no chamfers).
BERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR BERRRRRRRRRRRRR BERRRRRRRRRRR

*** DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER ! ***

What(!)?

The nut on mine mated against the disk brake rotor hub thing . . . .

The spacer was towards the inside of it . . . .

? ? ? ?
Old 12-20-2003, 10:36 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by MY83944

*** DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER ! ***

What(!)?

The nut on mine mated against the disk brake rotor hub thing . . . .

The spacer was towards the inside of it . . . .

? ? ? ?
It's a classical brain fade. You need the full surface to help stabilize the hub/nut.

Now if the hub can be rocked back and forth on the splines before you tighten it then sometime in it's past life the nut got loose. Even putting a worn hub on a new stub axle can't fix it. Things just get loose again.

Here is a outer roller bearing race that seized up on the stub axle.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:03 AM
MY83944
Racer

I feel better now. Went and checked the old bearings against the spacers, and believe I have installed them correctly.
The new outer spacer, as shown, also has that silly inner chamfer for some reason. That is the side I placed against the disk brake hub, as if it were placed against the bearing, it risks hitting the actual bearings themselves.
My thought on the minor chamfer is that it is to allow the seal to have an easier transition onto the spacer.
I am amazed at how much smoother the car is. Even more so, how it coasts now, effortlessly.
Thank you again SoCal for your valuable input, it is much appreciated!

(The hub fit tightly on the splines. I used some CV joint lube, sparingly, on the splines as well.)
Old 12-21-2003, 02:47 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Nothing like the smoothness of a 944! New tires. Fresh bearings and bushings and alignment.

As most of you have never bought a new 924 or early 944 and driven it off the lot. I can tell you there is nothing like it. Bought two late 70's 924's in the span of a year. The first was stolen in Phoenix on a business trip. Should have taken the plane but wanted to drive! I would find any excuse to drive those cars.

Keep an eye on the nuts. Make sure they are tight in a few hundred miles. Do hope that the outer spacer is not an inner spacer that has been mispackaged.

I use moly grease for the front and rear bearings and the CV joints. In fact the factory package for a CV joint comes with a small tube of moly in them. Just might have one in the old tool cabinet.

Quick Reply: Early 944 rear wheel axle hub spacer "problem" - Please help