Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RANT: The "Search" function

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 11:51 PM
944JM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jabbadeznuts - Yes I was one of the guys asking about turbo brakes. I had also used the search function before asking. Instead of being barraged by pages of threads and spending hours trying to sift through the data, I felt it better to ask MY specific questions and have them answered rather than sift through it. Time is valuable and if I can get the information from people willing to help (i.e. the ones that reply) by a thread that I start, then so be it. I thank those that responded for their generosity and willingness to help and am glad to know that there are more people like that on this forum rather than those willing to waste good keystrokes on a meaningless posted rant against they way people want to learn about and improve their car. Sorry it imposed on your few nano-seconds it took to over look the thread. Yes it does keep the forum alive. By the way... with your last rant, the printer called and YOUR calendar is ready to pick up.....

----------------
When somebody makes a calendar full of all your f*#k-ups, it’s time to be quiet.
---------------
Old 12-17-2003, 12:44 AM
K27
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't even remember being in NY ??
please give them back.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:06 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Sure, as soon as the they find my S2 I will fed ex you your keys.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:15 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

The problem I find when searching, and I use it alot, is most people do not post whether the solutions posted for them worked.

They just leave you hanging.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:21 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

since all of you guys are in here, im just curious, is it possible to do a turbo/na swap?
Old 12-17-2003, 10:25 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

seriously.. you guys need a faq. ive been reading this board for a while now (general knowledge and to talk with friends), i dont even own a 944, and im not even looking for one.. and i can even answer some of the questions being asked (i let those more qualified do the answering though).
Old 12-17-2003, 10:29 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by zehnd
The problem I find when searching, and I use it alot, is most people do not post whether the solutions posted for them worked.

They just leave you hanging.

I do agree that is a problem. I use the search function a lot, and more often than not the last post is something like "OK, I'll check it out / try it this weekend and let you know how it goes." Then silence.

I bet I have even been guilty of this a few times myself, although I try to make a concious effort to not leave things hanging.

Maybe we can reach some sort of "gentlemen's agreement" that we all try to close the loop on any open-ended things like that in the future?

Old 12-17-2003, 10:48 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There has been some discussion at the GTG meets about "tech" articles, but check the ones posted. Pretty slim pickins there. I also have to agree that there is usually no closure to the "help with my problem threads". I have also used the search function for specific information BUT the HUGE problem with the search function is exact spelling, syntax, and terminology. You could completely miss the info you're looking for because the originator of the thread can't spel wurth krap- ie breaks (WRONG) brakes (CORRECT). That's just one example of what I've found. Let's see about a FAQ. There is a wealth of knowledge here, it's just sooo disorganized and hard to find. That's what I like about Clark's Garage, easy to use and detailed.

mini-rant off
Old 12-17-2003, 11:06 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Default Re: RANT: The "Search" function

Originally posted by jabbadeznuts
Anders, we need your "Besucht die Searchfunktion' or what not quote!!
You mean Bitte benutzen Sie die SEARCH Funktion!!
Old 12-17-2003, 03:28 PM
icat
Race Car

I did a search on people who complain about others who do searches and found the complainers favor complaining two to one over those who never use the search function.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:54 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My post count is low, mainly due to using the search function. But I must admit, the search function is greatly flawed.

It's biggest problem is the number of discussion areas. Say I want to search for the Iceshark lighting kit for the 944. Well, if you look on the main forum page, there's, what? 3 different areas that could have what I'm looking for in it, just pertaining to the 944. So, if you want to be able to see every possible post, you ignore the next field that allows you to select a specific forum.

So now you get 10 pages of topics that might have the word's "Iceshark" "Lighting" "Kit", accross the full spectrum of forums and replies in posts. Nevermind the fact that some people refer to the kit as the "Light Cannon" or what have you.

The search function would be more efficient to use if all of the forums specific to one car were classified under the same main discussion area. Such as, move the main 924/931/944/951/968 Forum out of 'Watercooled discussions' and into the 924/944/968 Model Specific. Also move the Archived forum from the archive and into the Model Specific Forum.

This would probably cut down on a lot(not all) of repeat threads being posted.

My 9.44 cents.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:26 PM
Dave
Race Car

My car stalled on the way home from the store just now, I tried all the usual things but I don't have a spare DME relay or a jumper in the car. There was a radio shack a block away but I wasn't sure which terminals to put the jumper in. Eventually, the car started and I made it home. I left the groceries on the table and went straight to the computer, clicked search and, typed in "DME relay, jumper," then selected this forum. The first thread that came up was Andy K's wiper relay thread, I skipped over that and went to the second. By the 3rd reply I found that the terminals I need are 30 & 87B.
Total time; 2 minutes!(thanks Skip!)
The function works pretty well if you have a clue what you are looking for. Had I just posted a new thread it could have taken a LOT longer to wait for the right reply, so "I don't have time to search' is not a valid explanation.
OTOH, we are indeed near the point where the info stored in these pages could solve most common 944 problems without our interaction, but that would take the fun out of it.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:29 PM
944JM
Instructor

I agree with the need to do follow up post as a gentleman's agreement. Also as Dave951m stated, it does matter if the originator spelled it correctly. And as for finding things quickly, yes that does happen too. A brake swap is a little more involved and USUALLY the guys that answer are the guys that have some experience although they may not always agree. As for needing a 'quick' answer that's not the problem. I'm not in a hurry to do the swap, just don't have blocks of time during the day to sift though pages of info. I can log on after a couple of hours to a day later and search for my post and see what's been said. I endorse both searching and posting. Even the OT subjects as well as the non-tech 'social' chatter to the event reminders and such. It's what keeps things connected and going. I can take the 'want more power-buy a turbo' jokes and such. That makes the forum fun. I just have a problem with 'listers that seriously put down anyone with a question about their car for even asking. If you don't like the posted question, just ignore it and move on. 'Nuff said... hopefully.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:36 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

One of the nicest things to do when starting a tech or question-related topic is to make a really neat topic/subject line that clearly states the problem in a well-organized fashion. That's what I try to do when starting topics like those - which makes searching for it easy.

For example - my 944's hatch pins made some really annoying noises. Because how odd the noise was and the difficulty in determining its source, it took quite some time to find out what it was. So maybe setting up categories for all sorts of problems, you know Engine, Transmission, Noise Vibration & Harshness, Suspension etc would really assist in addressing the issue.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:53 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

Another problem with the search is that some old threads seem to be gone. I found an archived post that basically said, "The answer to your problem is found right here: <non-working link to some thread somewhere>". Doh!

Quick Reply: RANT: The "Search" function