Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 turbo brakes on an N/A...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003 | 06:36 PM
944JM
Instructor

Default 86 turbo brakes on an N/A...

What is involved in adapting a set of '86 turbo brakes to an '88 N/A?
Old 12-14-2003 | 06:39 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Use the search function. You will save yourself quite a bit of time.
Old 12-14-2003 | 06:40 PM
roy_josef
Instructor

You need, front spindles, hubs, calipers, rotors and 16"wheels, Out back you'll need the Turbo rotors. Actually a pretty simple procedure.
Old 12-14-2003 | 07:03 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Very simple, as above stated...but don't forget you will then have a car with the early offset and need 16" Fuchs, PDs or 16"-17"aftermarket; I wouldn't use 18". You will have to pick up a spacer kit to use late offset rims. I would try to buy the setup off of an 87 or newer 951 or S2 if this matters to you.
Old 12-14-2003 | 07:18 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Don't forget the 86 turbo struts or 87-on n/a struts. The 951 spindle does not match up to early offset n/a struts.
Old 12-14-2003 | 11:04 PM
944JM
Instructor

Would I need to change the proportioning valve? I have a set of both early and late PDs. The struts are PN#951-343-... I had the rest of the number but mislaid it for now. Let me get this straight then. My '88 is considered 'late'. The '86 turbo is considered 'early'. I have to determine if the strut is an early or late strut. The 951 spindle will only mate to the late strut. (Does the '951-343-xxx' number denote a turbo strut or is it a standard part designation?) Or if it is a turbo strut already, the spindle should mate up correctly. I got this car used and the dealer has no idea what was done to it before trade in. Going to be fun.
Old 12-15-2003 | 07:52 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

If your car does have it's stock struts, it will work fine. You can check for sure when you take it apart by measuring two things: The width of the ID of the area where the spindle slides inside of the strut, and the distance between the two bolt holes. Make sure these two measurement's are the same on both the strut and the spindle (it will be the OD width measurement of the spindle as it slides inside the strut). The earlier struts are a little wider, the bolt holes are a little off, and IMHO, the earlier struts are a little less "beefier".

While you have all that apart, it's also a good idea to install new Koni strut cartridges and a new suspension bolt kit from Paragon. Also a good time ti install stainless steel lines.

Two other things that weren't mentioned above: You need the longer 951 bolts and washers to mount the calipers, get them when you buy the parts. The washers are very important when mounting the rear caliper. Also, you'll want to get the 951 brake proportioning valve.

As a side note, your existing dust sheilds will also work, although I removed mine when I did my upgrade.
Old 12-15-2003 | 05:18 PM
944JM
Instructor

Hey tifosiman, thanks for the info! sounds like it's a do-able project with no serious machining or parts buying.
Old 12-15-2003 | 08:02 PM
car_slave
Pro

Hold on there....You need camber plates to get the early offset spindles to work on late model offset cars. The MOST POSTIVE + camber you can get is -3 (not quite enough for street driving). I just found this out the hard way when I went to get my car aligned. If I did it again I would have bought 87+ spindles. They are stronger also.
Old 12-15-2003 | 08:44 PM
keith
Drifting

If you are determined to use the '86 parts (i.e. - you already own them, then you will need the FRONT A-ARMS, TIE RODS, spindles, hubs, rotors and calipers, and rear SPINDLES and HUBS, rotors and calipers, plus ALL FOUR '86 WHEELS to have an '86 offest car when finished.

You can retain your existing A-arms, tie rods and rear hubs/spindles/rotors if you want to source '87 or later 951 front spindles/hubs/rotors to end up with late model suspension and run late offset wheels.

There is debate as to whether or not it is absolutely necessary to run 16" PDs with turbo brakes (I've heard that the 15" will actually fit)

Of course, you can always combine offsets (i.e late front/early rear or vice-versa) on the same car, if you need to. (Mine is actually late front, early rear with spacers, late wheels)

If you have the '86 as a donor car, you can swap it all, of course.

As far as the spindle fitment goes - there are differences among the years, but that can all be worked around without too much ado.
Old 12-15-2003 | 09:45 PM
car_slave
Pro

If you are determined to use the '86 parts (i.e. - you already own them, then you will need the FRONT A-ARMS, TIE RODS, spindles, hubs, rotors and calipers, and rear SPINDLES and HUBS, rotors and calipers, plus ALL FOUR '86 WHEELS to have an '86 offest car when finished.
NOT TRUE
The offset comes from the control arms. Early offset A arms, and tie rods, are shorter. What you want to do will not change the offset.
The rear brakes will bolt right on with no change at all (make sure you buy 87+ turbo rotors for this), and will fit under 15 inch pd's. Now the front wheel would need spacers to get the 15 pd's to fit, I used spacers and shaved down the calipers. Not ideal but cheaper than new wheels and tires.
Old 12-15-2003 | 11:06 PM
keith
Drifting

Originally posted by car_slave
NOT TRUE
The offset comes from the control arms. Early offset A arms, and tie rods, are shorter. What you want to do will not change the offset.
Read the last sentence of what you quoted from my post, car-slave.

"to have an '86 offset car when finished."

good job watching the ball there, buddy

As mentioned above, without a front spindle/hub change, his camber range will be extreme, and limited. Instead of adding parts to correct this (which is just fine, i.e. camber plates), he can use the correct additional parts if he has or has access to the entire donor suspension.

It seems to me that everything you posted pretty much supports my post.
Old 12-15-2003 | 11:25 PM
944JM
Instructor

I'm not determined to use '86 parts (just these were the first offered). I haven't aquired anything yet. Just looking to find what parts will be needed (and from what year it seems) to make this a 'painless' swap. SS brake lines are a given. Would like to keep the stock PDs if possible but if needs be.... As I said though , I have a complete set of both early and late PDs to work with. Don't have a particular donor car in mind, just an opportunity to work some parts swaps. Am looking to add camber plates in the future but don't want to have to immediately.
Old 12-15-2003 | 11:55 PM
keith
Drifting

I'd say painless as possible would be front spindles/hubs/calipers/rotors and rear rotors/calipers from an '87 or newer.
Old 12-16-2003 | 01:02 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm checking into this further tomorrow, but I believe all you need for the fronts of the late model 944na is the adapters, calipers and rotors (and pads). This applies to 87+na only for fitment of 87+ Turbo brakes - not so sure on the 86 Turbo.

Quick Reply: 86 turbo brakes on an N/A...