Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 01:42 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It may not be possible to determine exactly until you get into it to the point of no return

Yep - kind of my point. No way to tell until the car is back together. I guess for maybe 1K-1.5K it would be a neat project. I dont want someone to get stuck with something however. There is a big difference in Scirocco parts and 951 parts. You have no way of knowing if the turbo is any good, no way of knowing if the block is good, nothing. What you do know is that it is missing parts, has maybe the worst paint I have ever seen on one, the hood is incorrect, the lights dont match up (maybe accident, maybe poor alignment), etc, etc, etc.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:43 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Can a warped head not be resurfaced? I had a warped head once on another vehicle, and when i had the motor rebuilt, they said the head was warped, and needed to be machined. They sent it out and had it machined and i never had a problem with it after that. I dont where it was warped or anything though. As far as the oil/water mix, could that not be just a blown head gasket? (along with the oil cooler seals as a possibility). I still cant pull up those pics, but if you are not going to use it as a daily driver and have the mindset that you will dump money into it and are ok with that, then i guess go for it. My avatar is the picture of my 951 i got for 3500. There is nothing major mechanically wrong with it like heads etc, it just needs lots of little things that you wouldnt think about, hoses, gaskets, etc.

Karl
Old 12-14-2003, 01:45 PM
tomrc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Matt,

Yes, to your question, I am hoping you all could help justify the purchase, and I am weighing all the opinions here, I'm just trying to convey the whole story as I see it. I am now further from buying it than when I first posted.

To answer your other question, the guy is down on his luck, he can't afford the storage area it's in and can't afford to put it back together. He needs money bad. I've been selling parts for him (mainly VW parts), he's jobless and next to homeless. It pains him to have to sell the car but he doesn't have a choice.

Thanks, I do value your input more than you realize,
Tom
Old 12-14-2003, 01:46 PM
K27
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think anyone can tell you if the block and head are damaged, you need to have them measured.
Although these cars can be pricey to fix, there are quite a few cars being parted right now, so parts can be had reasonable, I sold a nice head for a couple hundred bucks last month.
If you do the labor it may not be that bad.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:46 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't get those damn pics up either.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:54 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Here
Old 12-14-2003, 01:54 PM
Matt H
Race Director

again
Old 12-14-2003, 01:55 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Lastly
Old 12-14-2003, 01:57 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Karl, yes and no. It depends, sometimes they can and sometimes they cant.

It looks like it was someones track ***** at some point. I am sorry for your friend but if he needs money, this is not the way to help him. He has a good 3-4K in parts sitting there. Take it to your house and help put it out of its misery. I would REALLY like to know what offer you are entertaining. It would help us greatly to know that, trust me this is a family, no one is going to "Steal" it from you.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:58 PM
Matt H
Race Director

It looks like it might be missing the exhaust as well :>)
Old 12-14-2003, 02:08 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Matt H
It looks like it was someones track ***** at some point. I am sorry for your friend but if he needs money, this is not the way to help him. He has a good 3-4K in parts sitting there. Take it to your house and help put it out of its misery. I would REALLY like to know what offer you are entertaining. It would help us greatly to know that, trust me this is a family, no one is going to "Steal" it from you.
Yep. There's some good parts there.

I agree with Matt. Looks like it was tracked. That's not a crime, but just keep that in mind.

Exhaust? What exhaust? I don't see no exhaust.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:04 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I like how the sunroof has tape over the seams to keep water out 80 bucks for that seal alone. I think it was matt that said, unless your picking it up for 1500 - 2k, stay away from it. If you can pick it up for 1500, then definetly buy the damn thing. If you find out it will cost too much to get it running, then you can part it out and make some ching
Old 12-14-2003, 04:36 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tires look like they might have yellow lettering- Avon track tires?? Definately it looks like it was punked out around the track. Not that I have the experience of buying/ owning a 944, but Matt, Brian, et al HAVE. My $.02 sez unless it's PRIMO cheap (UNDER $1500), RUN. Run FAST. If'n ya wanna help a bud out with finances, help HIM part it out on the classifieds here. Don't buy someone else's misery.

Check the classifieds here for a used car. There were some NICE examples going around recently, some for a LOT less than they should have. That car doesn't look like it has a "few cosmetic" issues. It's got a ****ing cosmetic encyclopedia set! That thing is a RAT, Tom. A BIG ****in' rat! Buy it cheap and part it, buy it cheap, strip it and make it a track car, or help your bud part it. Die, rat, DIE!!!!
Old 12-14-2003, 06:28 PM
tomrc
Pro

Hi all,

Thanks again for the response, I'm going to sleep on it some, I won't do anything until after the holidays at the earliest, probably February if at all. The offer I was going to make him was $1500-$2000, probably closer to $1500 after talking to all of you. Anyone want to make offers on it? I'll relay them to the guy. At this point if it's still available in February I may take it, if someone want it before then, so be it. A 951 wasn't my first choice anyway, I was thinking a 944S would make a better street/autox'er (no lag).

By the way, I'll ask him about the exhaust, it's probably there, just disconnected. The turbo is almost new and sitting in the passenger seat. It looks in excellent shape. He said previous work was done by rennsport (I'm pretty sure, I'll varify) and has reciepts to show. Interior is in about as good a shape as the exterior, ripped seats, cracked dash, rear has parts all over so I can't tell the shape. I'll see if I can get over there again in the next few weeks and get more pictures. If anyone is interested let me know. Thanks for all your help,
Tom
tomc@satx.rr.com
Old 12-14-2003, 06:42 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Run.
Run Fast.
Run Faster.
RUN FAR AWAY FROM THIS ONE!!

Quick Reply: 951 questions