Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear hatch mount problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 02:47 PM
Machbin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear hatch mount problems

Hi guys, New here and to the 944 world with an 83 that I picked up a few weeks ago. Runs and drives great so far, full service records back to 1992, a bunch of extra parts, and I've fixed a few things here and there. EXCEPT for this darn rear hatch, which actually then makes the car un-drivable because it pops open when I hit a bump. The rear locking pins were completely rusted and spinning freely in the pin mounts because the pin mounts were corroded. So my first plan was to try and get the pins out and replace them and the mount. But in order to do so I have to get the bolts on either side out to put the new mounts in. Those are also rusted completely and the PO stripped the heads. So now I am at the point of trying to extract them, until one extractor broke off in the screw. So now I am trying to drill them out, very slow and painfully.

My question is: Do I continue to try and drill these bolts out while these upper mounts are on the rear hatch or do I take the upper mounts (dremel the glue off?) off the rear hatch and drill out or replace with new? I can't find out how they are attached to the rear hatch, a bunch of epoxy it seems? And those upper mounts are ~$100 each so I was hoping to salvage and chase the threads to re-use them. But, I don't want to keep tearing this section apart until I can know how I am going to put it back together. Any help appreciated.

Completely rusted pin in mounts, my starting point.

During extractions, the heads came off so at least I was able to remove the cover, get the pin and pin mount out...but then the actual bolts

Bolts, in the holes, waiting to be drilled out or have this whole thing ripped off the hatch and start over.

The other side waiting patiently until I have a working plan
Old 11-19-2017, 02:55 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Do a Google search for plyhammerparts or gravesjeg for replacements.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:00 PM
Machbin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
Do a Google search for plyhammerparts or gravesjeg for replacements.
Great sites, didn't know about those.
And then just cut those mount off and they glue back on? Just worried about the reattachment, I can't find anything online aside from a parts diagram.

Quick Reply: Rear hatch mount problems