Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold start help

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 02:25 AM
hdemas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold start help

My 1987 944S (which has a 1989 944S2 motor) has been having cold start issues lately. It starts fine, but for the first few minutes the engine idles a little lower than it should and as a result idles a little rough. Also, while in this cold state it sometimes dies if you give it a little gas and then let off the gas quickly. Once the car is warm it is happy as a clam.

Another issue, which may be unrelated, is that if I run the air conditioning unit with the car idling (even while the car is warm), it generates enough drag to slow the engine to where the idle gets really rough. I've heard this is a common problem, and I'm wondering if there is a fix for it. I know the belt isn't too tight as I have it set as loose as I can get it without having it slip.

Any advice to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated. I have the factory manuals and figured I'd spend some time looking through them this weekend to check the various sensors, but if someone knows what the likely culprit is off the top of their head it would save me some time.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Cold start help