Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield leak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003 | 01:53 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Default windshield leak?

the past couple of times that it has rained, i have had water on the inside of the windshield only on the drivers side. im only guessing this from: about a week ago it rained, the next day everything froze up, when i came out of work, there was frost on the inside of my windshield. the second time: today: driving in rain all day to collect parts for my project car, started to realize that there was water on inside of windshield when i was wiping the fog away. again only in corner close to dash on driver's side. is this common? what can i do? pray for a rock to hit and have the insurance company get me a new one that seals?
Old 12-11-2003 | 02:46 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Fix the defrost vents and heater valve. When it works it works good!
Old 12-11-2003 | 07:37 AM
Mr. Avionics
Pro

I just noticed the same problem the other day when driving in some light rain. Had a little bit of water coming out at the bottom corners on both the drivers side and passenger side of the windshield. Have been getting some water on the floor on the passenger side when the car sits and get rain, couldn't figure out where it was comming from. No hole under battery, guess now I know. Will post fix when I figure one out.

Bill
Old 12-11-2003 | 11:48 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

cool, ill just hope for a rock>>i guess
Old 12-11-2003 | 12:33 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

If the drains in the early 944's get plugged with leaves and such, the build up of water will do two things. It will whack your wiper motor and slosh over into the fresh air intake making it's way into the car.

Keep your drains clean. All both of them.
Old 12-11-2003 | 02:16 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

ok ill check that outt
Old 12-11-2003 | 02:20 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Yes, those drains are prone to clogging, especially if you have a driveway like mine which is completley covered by trees. Those pine needles and leaves always manage to clog them up, best method ive found to clean them out is to just blast them open with the hose. Also a pain for the rear spoiler, all types of leaves and crap get jammed up in the spoiler drains.
Old 12-12-2003 | 03:48 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

there was some water in there when i checked today, i park on a slope with nose up, i think it was just sitting there, then when i start out, it gets thrown to the back maybe? nothing clogging, i was throwing the water forward with a paper towel, and it was going through the drain fine. im still hoping for a rock, this thing is sandblasted from mtexas and california.
Old 12-12-2003 | 12:08 PM
adie
Pro

put your hand on the bottom of the screen and VERY gently push, you will probably have lost the seal at the bottom of the window, as soon as you drive the water is pushed upwards and on mine it leaks half way down the a-pillar, I keep meaning to pull the screen and reseal it but then the sun comes out and the problams goes away

edit cause I'm breaking in a new laptop
Old 12-12-2003 | 12:33 PM
jamiejim
Racer

I just got my windshield replaced yesterday due to a rock chip. Luckily, it was covered 100% by my insurance. It rained last night and no sign of leaking yet.
Old 12-13-2003 | 02:02 AM
Zero10
Race Car

It's quite possibly the seal around the windshield. They tend to fail after a few years. Mine leaks right across the top, not bad, but after it rains, you can see where the rain ran down the inside, and when I go to the car wash, it just gets soaked around my e-brake, and I can watch it rain down. It migiht be worth pulling the seal from the windshield, and re-siliconing around the edges. It could be the seal at the bottom as well.
Old 12-13-2003 | 01:52 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

are they put in with caulking all the way around? or are they set inside of a seal like old american cars?
Old 12-13-2003 | 02:21 PM
adie
Pro

I believe (I'm sure I'm to be corrected) that there are two types of seal, one sets and comees on a strip and has to be cut through, the other is like a caulk, and can be heated or cut and allows the window to be removed whole (this may have just been an option offered to me as the fitter knew I was taking the screen out to repaint).
Old 12-13-2003 | 03:44 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by jamiejim
I just got my windshield replaced yesterday due to a rock chip. Luckily, it was covered 100% by my insurance. It rained last night and no sign of leaking yet.
Keep an eye on the lower outer corners. I found the caulking pulling away from the glass and had to stuff some more into the gap.
Old 12-13-2003 | 03:48 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by adie
I believe (I'm sure I'm to be corrected) that there are two types of seal, one sets and comees on a strip and has to be cut through, the other is like a caulk, and can be heated or cut and allows the window to be removed whole (this may have just been an option offered to me as the fitter knew I was taking the screen out to repaint).
At the model break in 85.5 the windshield was spaced out to be flush with the body. The plastic spacers are still caulked in against the body and to the windshield. There is a rubber trim piece that is inserted around the windshield before the caulking sets up.

From all that I've gathered the flush windshield and the recessed windshield are the same shape with the exception of the antenna laminated between the glass. So you could buy the spacers and trim next time and have a flush windshield on an early body.

Quick Reply: windshield leak?