Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport seats or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 10:24 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is US Spec and registered in the US Military registration system.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:27 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Older style sport seats- I see....that's cool...

As for the cost of the sport seats- I can't say for certain about exct prices, BUT, when Garrity said they were ~$7K/pr, I think he was referring to a new price, not option price- like, if you were going to buy some, outright, from a dealer- he said a NICE pair of used ones, like the ones he had (12-way elece adj & heated) would bring ~$3K(!)- he said he was asking ~$2.5K IIRC....It's kind of like the optional LEATHER dash that not many people realize was an option- it's listed in the PET files- they are supposed to be ~$7K new- a guy had one recently that he wanted several g rand for- I can't remember exactly- I would think you could find a good upholsterer to wrap a stock dash in leather for much less- for $7K, you should be able to get someone to make you TWO carbon fibre dashes covered w/leather that would save ~20lbs from the ~45lb factory dash, but...

BTW- Michael- have you ever recorded any times w/that turbo Miata? I would love to get an idea as to how fast that thing is- have you actually weighed it at 2300lbs actual weight, or, are you just estimating by listed curb, etc? W/190rwhp, I would think you could run mid 13's w/a decent launch... I know 1/4 miles isn't the end-all-be-all comparison, but, am just curious- I would think that Miata would blow the doors off a Turbo S in straightline acceleration- they can be fun little cars too- your's must feel like a rocket-go-kart...
Old 12-10-2003, 01:48 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Yeah it is pretty fast. I have never done 1/4 mile with it but people with similar setups run low 13's. I did a ~9:15 lap of the Nuerburgring recently. That is over 2min faster then I ever did it in my 944. I am sure I could have gone faster but I was at the limit of my comfort zone without a roll bar and helmet. I was chasing a EVO VII for that had a gutted interior and full roll cage for about 1/2 lap. He had flames shooting out of his exhaust ever now and then. I was all over him but again I just didn't feel comfortable without more safety gear.

On my website WWW.TURBO-MIATA.COM I have a lot of videos. There are several of the Miata. Check em out. Unfortunately there aren't any of the Miata on the 'ring though... My wife was filming but she was holding on for dear life so there is more of the dash filmed then anything else.

I have done some 0-60 times and get around 5.7 every time. These days my clutch is not holding up. It is the original with 122k miles. It is getting close to upgrade time.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:14 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool- I'll check the videos out- sounds like a bitchin' Miata....
Old 12-10-2003, 03:39 PM
Kokopelli
Instructor

Don't get me wrong, I am sure the sports seats are great. However, I have enough trouble getting in and out as it is. My back isn't as flexible as it used to be. As I found out I should woory more about my leaking clutch master cylinder and my dripping steering rack. On the bright side, the car schould end up with a lot of new parts for extended peace of mind.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:32 PM
nineeagles
Pro

My 84 944 came with sport seats. I believe they were added to the car because the interior is beige and the seats are black leather and really really in bad shape... I have another set of leather seats (regular) and they are in better shape but I may decide to recover them with the covers found on rennbay. I realize the sport seats will be harder to recover (vinyl) but I do like them better. They are more comfortable.

Has anyone here ever bought the covers and redid the sport seats?????
Old 12-10-2003, 06:06 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I def. prefer the sport seats, but I dont think I would spend the money to convert from regs to sports unless I was a track guy. They are a lot of money for not really a whole lot to show for it. How often am I sliding around in my seat to the point where I need to throw $3000 at the problem. Not often enough I can tell ya that.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:25 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the sports seats make sense for the road. I can on road tires throw my car sideways and I don't move an inch in my normal seats (but then again I am a perfect fit). The sport seats in my experiances restrict movement to much and if I wanted to grab something from the back seats I had to do way to much body movement.

My redone powerseats...
http://www.bonedaddy.net/Fishey/IMG_0091.JPG
Old 12-10-2003, 06:31 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WhenI look at the cost of the sport seats as an upgrade I see Sparcos instead. I never thought they were that comfortable (my last one had them) and I am a tad to big for them (read they pinch the hell out of my fat ***!)
Old 12-10-2003, 07:53 PM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

The seats make a huge difference in the feel of the car. I had a 931(regular, mint seats) at the same time as my 951 (slightly worn, sport seats) and it was so wierd getting in to the 931 after driving the 951. Even though the heights were about the same, for some reason you felt way lower in the 931. You are definately sitting ON the regular seats as opposed to IN the sport seats. The sport seats just seem right, no other seat has ever felt as nice. If I could get them re-covered some day reasonably I will jump at it. I switched the seatbacks left to right, so the bolsters should give me quite a few more years. BTW I've yet to see a linen pair up for sale that were in good condition.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:22 PM
K27
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by theedge
Sports seats are REALLY comfortable, when I got to ride in Randy_Js Turbo S with sports seats.... I didnt want to get out of the car at the end, I was so comfy. Plus I didnt slid around during cornering and stuff.
Maybe thats cause Randy was goin so slow
Old 12-10-2003, 10:11 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

I've seen one pair of linen sport seats go up for sale on ebay. Forgot and missed the close of the auction. $650-ish was the final price. Kick myself everytime I think about it.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:57 PM
JGriff
Racer

These two pics ought to help clarify:

P.S. I absolutely love the sport seats. Very comfortable and very supportive. I highly recommend them.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:29 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I have the Comfort Seats in my 86 944 NA, but I would definitely prefer the Sport Seats...I got to sit in 944S2NUT's 1990 S2 and the difference to me is night and day. I love to take corners hard, so they would help. But even just sitting in the seats makes you feel like the car is givin ya a little more lubbin, almost like it's holding you and wants you to to be comfortable.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:36 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Jim do you have troubles with the belts staying on your shoulders or no?

Quick Reply: Sport seats or not?