Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: why is a honda Civic a sports car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 02:23 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honduh's arent sports car's.........is honduh starting to have racing heritage yes! do they incorporate that into a economy car like the civic??? lol....hell no......the civic is a economy car......you can make a pinto run the 1/4 in 10 sec.s.........that doesent make it a sports car??? no its a pinto that runs the 1/4 in 10 sec.s..........nuff said.Someone's sig on here is the funnest i have ever seen....i will quote now " even though i walk through the valley of rice......i shall fear nothing for booost art with me"

anyways i think thats it.......@#$ rice and buy a real car.....dont try arguing with me at the street light that your car is a sports car cause.....its a "type r"
Old 12-08-2003, 03:06 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by porshhhh951
honduh's arent sports car's.........is honduh starting to have racing heritage yes!
Actually, their first Formula 1 victory came in 1965. I hardly think they are just starting to have a racing heritage.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:10 PM
spidey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by theedge
They arent. Just dont tell all the morons who rice them and "tune" them that

Pretty much all theyre good for when theyre souped up is straight line. Put them in the twisties and let the laughs roll!

People mistake them for sports cars because they are pretty easy to get into the high horsepower numbers, like 500+. But theyre still a cheapo POS.

And then theres the Neon SRT4
don't confuse your friendly neighborhood stunna with a car enthusiast. Hondas are a very competent and cheap platform on which to develop a club-level race car. There are several very, very quick hondas running around just about any track (yes even the kind with turns) that you can think of. Just don't be surprized when that little POS with 108 hp is up your *** at VIR, Summit Point etc., that is if you even are out there to begin with. Also it is not "easy" to get 500HP out of a little (likely 2L or less) engine, so whoever is telling you that one needs to get a grip on reality.

for those with an open mind.. Honda Challenge Race Series
Old 12-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am also wondering, does this same logic apply to the GTI and GLI from VW? Or how about the Audi Coupe from the 80's?

Didn't Randy Pobst successfully race a Honda Accord in the NATCC back in the mid 80's.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:29 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Manning
Actually, their first Formula 1 victory came in 1965. I hardly think they are just starting to have a racing heritage.
ahem *cough* *cough* okay i will say exactly whats on my mind so their is no confusion.Honda's have been racing for years......they have been road racing for years........but, they arent a sports car company...and dont race with intent to publish an outstanding sports car.....i will explain

one... You wanna know why not many people dont know about honda racing heritage......cause it isint a winning one(and i dont mean to say they havent ever had a winning season.....they just dont win that often....and as far as formula 1.... i have yet to see them at the top)

two... You wanna know why porsche is a sports car and a civic isint? Porsche got into building car's through the 60' and 70's with racing......they would race.......and race.....and race.......then decide to build another street car with what they learned......then.....they would race.......race.........and race some more......and build another street car with what they learned. Honda doesnt do this.....a civic si ...isint from years of racing knowledge and history....if it was we would be able to trace this back to it......like we can with porsche.....you can take engine's,suspension's,bodies, aerodynamics.....from porsche.....go back a few years and see where they got that idea and this idea and that idea....ect....ect..

three... It has been said and i will say it again.....honda has different priorities than a sports car maker does.....they worry about things like gas mileage???.....is the back seat roomy?? things like this......sports car makers dont give a #@$ about this stuff.

four... does that mean honda has never made a sports car??? NO

five... So what exactly are we saying here?? we are saying that a honda civic isint a sports car.....which was if you people dont remember the thread starter."is a honda cvic a sports car" and the answer is no....it isint.....it isint ment for race track's from the factory.......there for it can be made to be one but, isint that from the factory........a sports car....i.e. is a car that can be bought from the factory run on the street and on the race track.

i hope i cleared this up for the honduh lovers out there.....if you have a civic that does the 1/4 in 13 sec.s or can run around buttonwillow .....thats great.....but, that doesnt mean a civic is a sports car....that just means you really need a sports car....so you made one yourself out of a civic ......cause there cheap and in expensive.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:34 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

No one said Honda dodn't have a racing heritage. They made some pretty good F1 cars but the Civic isn't one of them. A sports car is designed to be a sports car. (Did that make sense?)

Porsche has a racing heritage also but I wouldn't call the Cayenne a sports car.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:49 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, the thread starter was about whether Honda Civic is a sports car and I also say no it is not. But then some folks started to write things like "buy a real car" and commenting that Hondas are not competent on the track, which is clearly an uneducated comment. I think many fans of IRL, CART (formerly) and World Challenge as well as F1 would agree.

Regarding quality, my car carried a sticker price new in 1988 of what, like $35K. How much was a Civic back then, like $10K. Yeah, I would hope my car is better built and handles better.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:13 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

So how about this. Based on y'all interpretation, any Porsche other than the Cayenne is a sports car. Does this include the 928? It was intended to be a GT, so is it a sports car or is it a sporty coupe?
Old 12-08-2003, 04:18 PM
jjmson20
Addict
Rennlist Member

i think these are badass little cars, for the money theres nothing better. A few mods done tastefully, and this little thing will give alot more pricey cars a butt kicking.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6253
Old 12-08-2003, 04:36 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Regarding racing heritage: just because a car company has a racing heritage, that doesn't mean their current cars are racers. For example, look at Mercedes Benz. HUGE racing heritage. Would you put a Benz on the track today? Well, maybe the AMG's, but an E320 is hardly a race car.

In the same manner, the Honda S2000 and NSX I would consider to be of a racing lineage. The Civic: no. Do kids play with it? Yep. It is a competent handling little car? Sure. Would I consider it a race car? No. It's more of a 'tuner car.'

-Z-man, you can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:44 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you think the S2000 is a good track car you should see them on track. I have seen spec Miatas push them out of the way! I have also seen more "offs" with an S-2000 than basically any other car at the track. They have no torque until the motor is in the high RPM range, they can be very tail happy (even worse in the wet), the dash is like 40 years old (hate it!), the door panels are too high (or seating is too low if you prefer), people who adore the S-2000 have almost certainly not driven one. And for the record, the Boxster is a hell of a lot better car, for the money (they run about the same amount).
Old 12-08-2003, 04:59 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by Matt H
If you think the S2000 is a good track car you should see them on track. I have seen spec Miatas push them out of the way! I have also seen more "offs" with an S-2000 than basically any other car at the track. They have no torque until the motor is in the high RPM range, they can be very tail happy (even worse in the wet), the dash is like 40 years old (hate it!), the door panels are too high (or seating is too low if you prefer), people who adore the S-2000 have almost certainly not driven one. And for the record, the Boxster is a hell of a lot better car, for the money (they run about the same amount).
The S2000 does very well in autocross.

BTW, I never said it was a good track car, I just consider it to be a good sports car. (See my post on the other thread about what you think a sports car is).
-Z.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:06 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Z- I wasnt referring to you. Just a blanket statement of what I have seen. I dont do much with autocross (just not a big believer, flame suit on), they may be great there. At DE's and SCCA events they spend as much time mowing the grass as they do on track. :>)
Old 12-08-2003, 05:26 PM
jjmson20
Addict
Rennlist Member

matt h- you are right ive never ridden in one, but ive sat in one and i felt quite comfy in it, it felt a tad small but its a small car. I can imagine it being very tail happy cause ive read they have a silly amount of torque.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:27 PM
Sami951
Drifting

One time I was driving at a track, there was one S2000 too ... he was pulling pretty much the same laptimes as I was (but then again I know I'm not a very good driver).

Quick Reply: OT: why is a honda Civic a sports car?