Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 944 intermittent no spark or fuel

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Shaughan Keaton
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 944 intermittent no spark or fuel

Hi, everyone, I am stumped here. I’ve read tons of forum posts and changed everything they’ve recommended. What I have is a problem that only happens intermittently. If whatever it is happens when the car is off, the car turns over but I am getting no spark or fuel. If the car is running and it happens, it will stall or run very rough. I checked the AFM is working and its wiring on the inside looks like New. Here’s a list of everything that’s been changed:
Starter
New Crank sensors (twice, from original to aftermarket, them to Bosch)
rewired the speed sensors plugs with new connectors
new spark plug wires
new distributor cap
DME
new dme relay(twice)
fuse box
new ignition coil
new fuel pump
fuel filter
fuel pump lines
Any ideas? It seems to be getting worse. Thanks for reading!
Old 10-15-2017, 03:45 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post

I chased the same issue for a long time, only having recently fixed it. Intermittent stalling/hard start that eventually progressed to a no start. Like you, I replaced both S/R sensors. Installed a new sensor harness to confirm all new continuity from sensors to the DME.

After a LOT of methodical trouble shooting, I traced my issue to a failed DME. Replaced it with the new unit from Focus9, and it’s been running beautifully since.

You list DME in your list of attempted fix actions already. Whats the nature of this attempted fix? New? “Known good” replacement? I came to the conclusion that even a “known/tested good” DME is in the neighborhood of 3 decades old and, to me, not worth the gamble.

Not a cheap fix, but a fix backed up by peace of mind knowing that there’s a lot of new equipment in there now, to include an updated, brand new DME.

My $.02 worth.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:37 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When u crank, does the rpm jump at all? If not, you should look into the SR sensor. I cleaned mine with degreaser and contact cleaner. Car started right up.

Just fixed mine today. Took 2 days and I replaced plugs, coil, dist cap. Was going to test the starter as next step too.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:32 PM
Shaughan Keaton
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EJZero1
I chased the same issue for a long time, only having recently fixed it. Intermittent stalling/hard start that eventually progressed to a no start. Like you, I replaced both S/R sensors. Installed a new sensor harness to confirm all new continuity from sensors to the DME.

After a LOT of methodical trouble shooting, I traced my issue to a failed DME. Replaced it with the new unit from Focus9, and it’s been running beautifully since.

You list DME in your list of attempted fix actions already. Whats the nature of this attempted fix? New? “Known good” replacement? I came to the conclusion that even a “known/tested good” DME is in the neighborhood of 3 decades old and, to me, not worth the gamble.

Not a cheap fix, but a fix backed up by peace of mind knowing that there’s a lot of new equipment in there now, to include an updated, brand new DME.

My $.02 worth.
Hey, thanks, I am currently chasing the ignition switch, but if all else fails i will try this. I got a used DME from a trusted source who tested it.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:34 PM
Shaughan Keaton
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djantlive
When u crank, does the rpm jump at all? If not, you should look into the SR sensor. I cleaned mine with degreaser and contact cleaner. Car started right up.

Just fixed mine today. Took 2 days and I replaced plugs, coil, dist cap. Was going to test the starter as next step too.
My SR sensors are brand new Bosch, but yeah a tune up couldn't hurt!

Quick Reply: 1986 944 intermittent no spark or fuel