Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waking a 924SE from it's 18 year slumber!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 10:59 PM
chumwon
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waking a 924SE from it's 18 year slumber!

Hello everyone! I recently purchased a 1988 924s from a barn here in Michigan to restore it in honor of my grandfather I never met who rallied and road raced his 912. My grandma (her husband) is my hero and was recently diagnosed with stage 3 cancer so I told her I couldn't afford a 912 like they used to have but I'll get us a porsche to cannonball across the country one last time! I took a risk with buying my first porsche but I'm very mechanically inclined and the Germans knew what they were doing when they built them, I just have to figure out their ways!

This car after going threw maintenance records was last driven in 1999 with 72,xxxmi. It was parked when the car just wouldn't start one morning. Fast forward 18 years to just a few days ago when I found this gem sitting in the back of a barn. I thought it was just a very clean and lightly used 924s but after seeing all the aluminum underneath this thing and great suspension I decided to find the sticker in the back near the hatch to see what options it came with to make it this fancy. That's when I found out it's the 756 special edition lemans!! I think every single thing is still original so I'm going to try an go through as much as I can to refresh everything. This is my first porsche and I was wondering if anyone could give the pointers on things so look over and service after sitting for so long!

These are the option codes listed
C02
G57
The only code i can't find is the G57?..It came with the tool kit, cleaning kit, and the crazy spare tire. Unfortunately it looks like the original owner must of took the medallion...

Loving this car already, it's not a 912 but it's growing on grams and I'm excited to start getting into it!
Thanks in advance everyone for any tips or advice!
Old 09-08-2017, 12:15 PM
chumwon
6th Gear

Here are a few photos of the ole boy once I got it off the trailer to his new home!

https://chumwon.imgbb.com/
Old 09-08-2017, 01:13 PM
screamin94Z
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Since it has sat for so long you should certainly do the timing and balance shaft belts and the water pump first.

All rubber should be considered suspect at this point too, replace the fuel lines, check coolant hoses as well. If you want to get deeper into it, replace all suspension bushings that you can handle.

Of course you want to put new tires on it too.

Good luck and enjoy it!
Old 09-08-2017, 02:14 PM
chumwon
6th Gear

I love the car already as haven't even drove in it yet!

The tires are shot, I'll check hoses, the fuel lines look like a hard plastic but I have to flush bad gas out anyways.

I did plan on doing the timing, balance belts and the water pump. I've built many ohv motors but this will be my first ohc and doing the timing belt but I've got faith in myself (I hope)!

Is there a certain company that you guys stand by for your parts? I have a great local part store but availability an quality may be an issue on cars of this standard.

Thank you for your advice sir!
Old 09-10-2017, 08:57 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

What a beauty! Nice find and an even nicer sentiment. I bet you and your gramma will enjoy it immensely.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:05 PM
chumwon
6th Gear

Thanks, Were very excited to take it for a drive but it'll be a bit before I can get everything freshen up and figure out the no start issue which it was originally parked for!

Quick Reply: Waking a 924SE from it's 18 year slumber!