Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to pay for a decent 951

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 02:26 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corky Rodriguez thank you very much for the advice and thanks to all the replyes. I totaly agree with you when you said you wanted a nice 951 with low miles so when you get out of it its still under 100K. Thats what i want. And my car 944na will have less then 90K by the time i get out of it. I dont drive it more then 100/week. Im not in a hurry because i still want to get my car painted and get the C2 turbo wheels and the fiberwerks bumper put on so im going to have this car until summer but the reason i want to do all that to it is because i want the next owner to get a prime car. I have always been like that. Get a car and spend money on it so the next owner can really enjoy it as i did. Anyway thanks for the input.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:29 PM
Jerad
Pro

I live in northern Indiana, and bought my 86 for $9500 with about 100k miles back in July. In this area the car your thinking about will run you about $11-12k or more if you can even find one. This is assuming all the regular maintenance is done and well kept cosmetically. If your willing to look at cars all over the country then you might be able to find a good deal, but in this area your gonna pay a higher price.

Also, don't limit your search to cars with under 80k miles. Like many people have said before, the age factor has taken over therefore maintenance is more important than mileage. Look for a car that has had recent belts, waterpump, motor mounts, clutch, etc.

Where do you live? If you want anybody to come along with you to look at some cars let me know, I just went through this search a few months ago.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:43 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt and Corky, points taken. No question, the Boxster pricing is dropping like the proverbial lead balloon. I am now seeing several in my area moving in to the upper teens. I've thought about picking one up just for grins...A couple of comments, however.

1) Boxsters will always have higher production numbes than the 944 Turbo. IIRC, the '88 US import numbers on the non-S car are around 1800. How many are left? Who knows...I have to believe that based on production numbers alone, the (solid, well maintained, low mile) 944T will always be a more difficult -to-find car than a Boxster. Does that mean the price will rise? Only time will tell...

2) I do agree about the number of 951s for sale. If you aren't too picky, it is a buyer's market. If you are picky (as I believe myself to be) finding what you are looking for is a bit trickier.

3) I really don't expect my car to go up much in value; however, I don't expect it drop much either. To UDPride's earlier point, the price of the car depends on the buyer's/seller's particular mindset and motivations. I was specific in what I was looking for; I was willing to pay (and did) a premium. I paid 14K; if I enjoy the car for a couple of years and sell it for 12K, that is a cost of ownership of about $85 bucks a month - not bad. (Of course, I can't add in things like exhaust/wheels/etc/etc, nor can "normal" service costs be added in.) As I mentioned in my previous post, I bought the car to enjoy, not as an investment.

4) Speaking of service, seems like a lot of people can afford to buy these cars but not as many can afford to service them properly. Taking nothing away from those that turn their own wrenches, but I've seen any number of tired/ill maintained 951's I wouldn't feel comfortable driving anywhere but around town...Will that impact pricing? Again time will tell...

In summary, if the value of the car creeps up, great. However, if it goes up, it likely won't be much, and if it drops...oh well...All I know is that I've owned everything from a 72 Corvette to an XJS to nitrous fed Nova SS (back before every high schooler knew what "on the bottle" meant) and this car has brought me more grins than eny of them...I'm going on a 75 mile back road trip tomorrow and can't wait!

And Antonioali - good luck! I agree with Corky on the PPI and looking for the bargains...Have fun! B
Old 12-08-2003, 09:24 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exactly, buy the car to enjoy - not as an investment. Chances are it wont be. After you decide which car you want, find one that has been the best maintained/replaced and pony up the dough.

Quick Reply: What to pay for a decent 951