Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ruling out a DME Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 11:54 AM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Check the throttle body to see if it is stuck open, or if the throttle cable is stuck holding it open.

Your engine could not do that if the DME was bad.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:43 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jderimig
Where is the engine getting all that air to let it run to redline on start?
I'm sort of thinking the throttle is stuck open. I've pulled on the cable a couple times to see if I can get it unstuck, nothing just "snapped back". If I can't find something obvious this morning I'll take off the intake and see what I can see...
Old 08-30-2017, 12:47 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
Check the throttle body to see if it is stuck open, or if the throttle cable is stuck holding it open.

Your engine could not do that if the DME was bad.
My thinking too, it has to be mechanical. First thing I thought was the carpet had slipped over the gas peddle but that's not it. Last night I did fiddle with the cable a bit but nothing obvious happened. I'll probably pull off the intake next.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:49 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

It truly amazes me all the stuff that can happen to these cars when you let them sit in the shop a couple of years.

I'll probably find a dead mouse in the throttle body or something.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:54 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
The fumes penetrate your clothing and get right up next to the skin. All is takes is a spark...
Tiger, I can assure you I have a deeply ingrained morbid fear of gasoline. I begin shaking when I smell gas. I vacate the area for hours after opening all the doors and windows. I take off all my clothes and run them through the wash (not to be confused with running naked through the front yard), which entertains my neighbors and the dog...

I'm very paranoid about gas.

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 08-30-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:57 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Well, maybe I'll do some further thinking before pulling the intake. Seems I was a bit cavalier with that one. Taking the intake off a 928 so you can get to the throttle is a cinch, only takes a few minutes. It looks like a major operation on a 944S2.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:34 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts

I recall the throttle body is easy enough to get to, not sure what would be gained by pulling the intake. Careful of the hoses to the bottom of the intake boot.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:41 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
I recall the throttle body is easy enough to get to, not sure what would be gained by pulling the intake. Careful of the hoses to the bottom of the intake boot.
I actually read your discussion on the subject earlier today, unfortunately all the photos have aged out of existence, I think the thread was started in 2005?

There was a debate about whether it was harder to get the throttle out without taking off the intake than it was to just take off the intake?
Old 08-30-2017, 03:02 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
I actually read your discussion on the subject earlier today, unfortunately all the photos have aged out of existence, I think the thread was started in 2005?

There was a debate about whether it was harder to get the throttle out without taking off the intake than it was to just take off the intake?
the throttle body is right up front, no need to pull the intake. That's only on the 944S
Old 08-30-2017, 04:18 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arominus
the throttle body is right up front, no need to pull the intake. That's only on the 944S
OK. I see it now, just aft of the AFM.

I have a question about vacuum lines that may be related. During the pre-start inspection a few weeks ago I found a disconnected vacuum line coming from what looks like a diaphragm of some sort just under the driver's side window (picture #1).

I leads to a connector on the throttle body (picture #2) but was disconnected at the time of inspection (photo #3). I reconnected it (photo #4) before starting.

On the off chance I got this connection wrong, I disconnected it again this morning and tried starting; no progress. The engine immediately red lined again. Reconnected vacuum line, no change.

Comments? Could this somehow be related? Anyone know what that line does?
Attached Images     
Old 08-30-2017, 05:33 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Update: It turns out to be both simple and mystifying. If I just unhook the throttle cable (photo #1) the car starts and idles fine. With the cable connected (photo #2) it red lines on start.

The mystery would be what caused the cable between the peddle and throttle body to get short? Is it just a matter of lengthening the cable? Something tells me there's an underlying problem I'm missing here?
Attached Images   
Old 08-30-2017, 08:29 PM
jderimig
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cruise control?
Old 08-30-2017, 08:48 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK. I see it now, just aft of the AFM.

I have a question about vacuum lines that may be related. During the pre-start inspection a few weeks ago I found a disconnected vacuum line coming from what looks like a diaphragm of some sort just under the driver's side window (picture #1).

I leads to a connector on the throttle body (picture #2) but was disconnected at the time of inspection (photo #3). I reconnected it (photo #4) before starting.

On the off chance I got this connection wrong, I disconnected it again this morning and tried starting; no progress. The engine immediately red lined again. Reconnected vacuum line, no change.

Comments? Could this somehow be related? Anyone know what that line does?
That runs the Evap system, the vac opens the valve when the car wants to cycle the system.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:02 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Update: It turns out to be both simple and mystifying. If I just unhook the throttle cable (photo #1) the car starts and idles fine. With the cable connected (photo #2) it red lines on start.

The mystery would be what caused the cable between the peddle and throttle body to get short? Is it just a matter of lengthening the cable? Something tells me there's an underlying problem I'm missing here?
Did you jack the engine really high to put the mounts on...?

Something is wrong with the cable.

Look at where it passes through the firewall near the pedal.

T
Old 08-30-2017, 09:58 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Did you jack the engine really high to put the mounts on...?

Something is wrong with the cable.

Look at where it passes through the firewall near the pedal.

T
I don't know about "really high", but I did jack it up, maybe an inch? Good suggestion and I'll check that.

Quick Reply: Ruling out a DME Failure?