Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rebuilding my baby...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 05:46 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by I-Wana-951
Arnt 944 NA beter at auto X because they have more torque coming out of turns? and 951 arnt as good because of turbo lag?

just a thought,
keith
The turbo lag may interfere if you're used to the torque of a V8 or something, but the truth of it is that the turbo has at least the same torque as the N/A (early) and then the boost kicks in. IT all depends on how you drive it. If you can drive it like a rally car, keeping your foot in the gas and the torbo spun up a little in the turns, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by RMills944
the truth of it is that the turbo has at least the same torque as the N/A (early) and then the boost kicks in.
I don't KNOW that this is incorrect, but if it's correct you'd have to prove it to me. One of the best things you can do to an NA to add HP is increase the compression, just look at the 8 hp increase the US cars got in 1988 or look at the 163 HP euro motor, both got their power from higher compression than the earlier US cars. A turbo motor that is not on boost is nothing but a NA with much LOWER compression and a big restriction in both the intake and exhaust. The turbo would need to be up to the point of reducing manifold vacuum to near zero before this is overcome. I may be wrong here, but I'd need to be convinced of it.

Arnt 944 NA beter at auto X because they have more torque coming out of turns? and 951 arnt as good because of turbo lag?
IN MY EXPERIENCE, any comparison of the 944 and the 951 on an autocross course will depend more on the course itself than any other factor. In stock form the 951 has stiffer suspension and better brakes than a stock 944. Still, on a tight technical course where a turbo can not get on boost the 944 will be equal to a 951 because of it's better low end torque (an S2 should beat them both). Most courses DO allow at least a little boost and the Turbos gain an obvious advantage. It is possible to gauge a course (tight vs. fast) by comparing the median times of the classes for 944s and turbos.

BTW, by the 6th grade you should know how to spell AREN'T! You newer guys don't know how long John D. made us beg for that "spell check" button, please use it!
Old 12-04-2003, 08:14 PM
944x-rated
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt,

thanks for the info. the reason its in the shop is b/c i came from a datsun 280zx N/A where the oil gauge read from low->high, the one on the porsche just reads 1->5; i had a slow oil leak that i wasn't aware of, and therefore, when the needle was set on 3, i had no idea that i was low on oil. now for whats wrong w/ it right now, the connecting rod bearing is worn badly and needs to be replaced. one person suggested that i do a suspension upgrade first, that would be great, BUT, if i'm going to have to have then engine apart right now, im not going to put just one thing into it, so it's still running on stock(old w/ 246xxxmiles) engine components. i subscribed to this post after reading Dfastest951's performance and looks. i didn't buy the 951 to make it an all out drag car, but straight performance wouldn't exactly upset me. about highway racing, i don't have enough patients to list the exactness we do it as to minimize the amount of people on the road.(pm me if you want to talk about it further). as for the ricer/go drive a mitsu/honda jab, if i wanted to drive the car that my pizza guy drives, id do that, but unfortunately, i prefer to set myself out from the masses. i actually will probably never put N2O on the 951, but its always a thought. and last but not least; i know very little about the car i owne. please don't expect me to, just because i owne one.

dustin r.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:22 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Ah, I had an 83 280ZX N/A GL, fun cars!

Got any pics of car? CAnt wait to hear what you do with it!
Old 12-04-2003, 08:31 PM
I-Wana-951
Racer

things i would do to my 951

1.)Chip it
2.) MAF KIT
3.) upgrade to turbo S suspension (Bigger sway bars, koni yellows, ect)
4.)brakes

With the chip and MAF kit you will have 300+ Hp and thats plunty enough on these cars to spank the **** out of most things. You could also upgrade your turbo a little bigger, to something such as a k27, but that is kind of expensive. Remeber, the more mods you put on a car the less and less reliable it starts to get. The chip and MAf kit isnt so bad, but pretty much anything beyond that i would say is a little risky to the health of your engine.

keith
Old 12-04-2003, 08:54 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keith, how many 944 Turbos have you owned?? What level of mods do they possess?

To be honest you need to post this more to the Turbo board. The more technical folk tend to hang out there. 3 on the oil pressure gauge should not have caused a problem, that is not high/low but rather a measure of pressure. It sounds like you have spun/worn rod bearing. I guess the question should be, how much money are you in the position to spend? That would help as far as what to do to the car. I think suspension is great but on a non-moving car it *might* be kind of wasted :>) You can do the rod bearing for about 50 bucks in parts (www.paragon-products.com, plus that much again for an oil pan gasket). It is no fun as it requires dropping the crossmember and downpipe. The engine does not need to be apart to do the rod bearings, just drop the pan and they are right there. If it has other damage then you have loads of ways to go depending on how large your wallet is.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:58 PM
I-Wana-951
Racer

is this a trick question to somehow slam into my face that im a retard and dont no what i am talking about? im assuming so because i am still somewhat new to this and still trying to learn, and proboly what i said is stupidness in the ears of the more advanced enthusiest... but to answer ur question, i have owned none, but my brother and dad do, that are pretty much stock. I read the boards though and i think that i said is somewhat true, correct me if i am wrong.
keith
Old 12-04-2003, 09:21 PM
Matt H
Race Director

With the chip and MAF kit you will have 300+ Hp and thats plunty enough on these cars to spank the **** out of most things. You could also upgrade your turbo a little bigger, to something such as a k27, but that is kind of expensive. Remeber, the more mods you put on a car the less and less reliable it starts to get. The chip and MAf kit isnt so bad, but pretty much anything beyond that i would say is a little risky to the health of your engine.

First part is pretty much true. A K-27 (in terms of these cars is a cheap upgrade at less than 600 dollars, or you could go Garrett for about 250 more). The next part is somewhat true. The last part is not even close.

There are plenty of guys running 350+ HP pretty much in daily drivers with little problem. I will be at or over that mark (with good tuning) as well. Anything you do to your engine is a little risky, I suppose. Additionally, most guys end up far beyond those mods once they start.

It was not meant to make you seem foolish. It is just not the best idea to give advice to a new person (who doesnt know that you dont have a 944 Turbo and are in effect, just relaying what others have said). I dont know all there is to do (not even most, but I think a lot, at least) on these cars either. I have had more than one and I have wrenched on a number of them. If read carefully, this car has engine problems, he need to first address how to make it run again, THEN he can address mods. Therefore, the question becomes, one more time, HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO SPEND?? :>)

I am sure you are learing a lot here and I know you have contributed as well. I just dont know that someone without some first hand experience should be handing out second hand advice. I may also be wrong, I often am.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:22 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

keith, if you are still trying to learn then you have no business giving advice as to what he should do to his car.

let the people with experience speak, then when they're done, add your opinion.

i wouldnt call you a retard, but at least TRY to make yourself not look like one. so just chill out, let the 951 owners post about things they know, and learn. i don't have a 951, but my roommate does, i have some time working on it and driving it, so i'm a little experienced. i can only suggest what the others have:

1) rebuild to stock specs, maybe widefire head gasket
2) upgrade suspension parts, after 2xx,xxx miles they are DEFINITELY gone, probably have been replaced once, but that needs to get done again (always nice to know what you have on your car)
3) invest in DE time, learn to drive to the limit
4) upgrade the engine/engine management (chips, maf, etc...)
5) repeat steps 3 and 4 as necessary

my $9.51
-Michael-
Old 12-04-2003, 09:30 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Dave
Sad fact is that a mid 12 sec Porsche does the 1/4 in about 13. The same things that make it handle so well make it a POS off the line, they will not launch well without ripping themselves apart.
And BTW, highway racing is for morons and losers, take it to a track!
morons....wow......what a better way to encourage new membership by calling names.......telling them they are a moron before you even know them......

please try and take this kind of stuff with a grain of salt man...i am really sorry about someone calling you names.......we have alot of hall monitors on this forum

now back to your mods ......there are alot of great places to get performace mods done to your new baby....i guess i will start the list
www.Lindseyracing.com

our cars arent ment for drag racing...so if thats what you are looking for....you really should sell your 951 in favor of a more subtable drag car......however......our cars are great from rolls.........and if you want to freeway race from say a 60mph or 70 mph roll......with just a few well placed mods you car will be spanking your friends in no time what-so-ever
About your rod bearing was it the famed #2.....they seem to be a weak link in our engines.I would replace all bearings, and gaskets.....also our cars generate alot of heat....so check all of you rubber hoses....they tend to heat up and become brittle.Especially your 4 main hoses on the back of the egine.....damn is that a bitch to get to.Other than that....try upgrading the head gasket......remember to check your seals.........by the way if you havent figured out yet......you will need a service manual......guys on this forum are great.....most people wrench on their own cars...so we as a community can be a real asset to you.....feel free to post any questions you have along the way.....now where in the heck is john *cough* *cough* paging john.......

to the good times
oh and i almost forgot welcome to the boost addiction

Last edited by porshhhh951; 12-04-2003 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:33 PM
I-Wana-951
Racer

well atleast i am somewhat correct, just delete out that last part that Matt corrected me on and its prettu much in the ball park of what every one else is saying. (suspension,brakes,MAF,Chip)

My dad once said that when your learning how to do things with cars, everything you do isnt going to be right, so the first few things you do on your own are going to proboly not turn out right and mess something up... After thinking about this im gogin to make sure is my car if any gets messed up and not someone elses.. Srii for possibly giving false info ect...

keith
Old 12-04-2003, 09:36 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Actually, no matter how long you do cars, you are not going to get it "right". There are too many "right" ways to do something for you to get it everytime (or even sometimes).
Old 12-04-2003, 09:52 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

well atleast i am somewhat correct, just delete out that last part that Matt corrected me on and its prettu much in the ball park of what every one else is saying. (suspension,brakes,MAF,Chip)

My dad once said that when your learning how to do things with cars, everything you do isnt going to be right, so the first few things you do on your own are going to proboly not turn out right and mess something up... After thinking about this im gogin to make sure is my car if any gets messed up and not someone elses.. Srii for possibly giving false info ect...

keith
keith you seem like a really nice guy.....dont worry about it so much man.......you were just trying to help......i am sure you will have a 951 soon enough.......but, never be afraid of sharing your opinion with us......even if you dont have a 951 that doesnt mean you cant post...lol.....oh fyi i am around the 400 crank hp mark and i have yet to have a real problems......although i have hered of people with chips, fpr,and downpipe.......having trouble all over the place...i guess it really just matters how strong your starting mule is........mine has had a complete rebuild.....so my results might be a little unrealistic....considering i think i have about 15k on my motor.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:48 AM
944x-rated
Intermediate

john,

thanks for the welcom. i understand how people on forums can be, as i belong to another local one myself. i read you list of upgrades, and what you have is sorta what i'm looking for. around 400hp. and a good suspension.

matt,

so, from what your saying, i DON'T have to pull the engine????? my mechanic told me that i had to pull the thing, and open it up. the money quistion is a tricky one, i'll spend whatever it takes to have a RELIABLE car, the only thing is, it may take me some time... it would be nice to actually have a car while im stockpiling parts for the massive rebuild!

all,

thanks for the support and the sites. the best i have found so far is definately www.lindseyracing.com my goal with this whole project is to:
A) Have a ride that is respected by my peers and others alike.
B) Be able to compete in auto x.
C) To put to shame ANY ricer that pulls up next to me, thinking his mom's
4 door civiv w/ soccer mom sticker's car is fast, without looking
at him.
Basically 944x-rated>Dfastest951...................j/k

(in performance only, from what i understand, he's a stand up guy)

Quick Reply: rebuilding my baby...