Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's not about top speed...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Ethan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeing that fender in the mirror...while listening to the trees echoing the 16 valves on a quiet twisty back road with the windows open and sunroof off!
Old 12-04-2003, 01:47 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sound of the turbo spooling up, and the exhaust popping at around 4-5K RPM.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:59 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The door closing?... perhaps mine don't work so well, mine sound terrible when they close....
When I bought my car, I had an 85 subaru gl wagon. Getting up to highway speeds was a fright, felt like it was ready to take off, or explode or something, took about 5km to get up to 100-105kph (OUCH!). First time I took my porsche out on the highway, I got up to speed, and when it finally felt like 100, I looked down and I was going 170. Now that's a well built car. No shakes, no shudders, perfectly smooth and under control, even at close to double the speed limit. That's one of my favorite things. The other one is when you are trying to merge, and nobody is letting you in, knowing that all you have to do is press the gas and you can beat them all.
Ahh, the fun of the first drive in a 944...
Old 12-04-2003, 05:57 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Now THIS is a quality Rennlist thread.

My favorite element of driving a Porsche is the feel. You just know you are operating one of the finest engineered automobiles on the planet and it feels great!

Some Porsches aren't as quick as others, yadda yadda yadda, but the odd thing I still love to see is how automobile magazine articles ALWAYS compare elements of Some New Car to Porsches. Such as 'Quicker than a new Porsche 911' etc etc. But what they don't comprehend is that no other automobile marquee on the planet has that feel.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:33 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

When you are cruising in 5th, you punch the throttle a bit and still feel like your face is sinking into the seat.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:59 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread, so good that I can't think of anything to add to it, but thanks for the read.

Edit: except maybe not noticing that the stereo was shot for 6 months because you've been listering to the mechanical music that the car makes!

Last edited by Dave; 12-05-2003 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:33 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

944 terminator i agree, The feel.

What i like about my car is the fact that i can get in it anytime i want and KNOW its going to start up and run great even though its 16 years old. I have 2 new cars but they dont compare to this car. And i to like the sound of my door closing. We just got our first XLR at work and thats the only car here that comes close to the sound of my door closing. The car just feels SOLID and strong when you close the door on mine. Anyway great thread. I really like the fact that people here really appreciate these cars. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:33 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Just goy my 951 back with the new Koni yellows/Ball joints...etc, wow, feels awesome even with the H rated winter tires on it, The 968 wheels look pretty damn good as well!
Have to take a nice drive tonight before the weather turns ugly!
Old 12-05-2003, 10:44 AM
gleamingred944
Instructor

Curves - both those of the car and the way it goes around them.

The expressions of passersby when I get in (I'm over twice as tall as it is), then stretch before taking off.

Turning the key at 30 below and having it start perfectly - no choke no priming no fuss.

And yes - holding off a half-million-dollar Ferrari with nitro etc. on a small curvy track where he couldn't make up on the straights what he lost on the chicanes (summer of course) !
Old 12-05-2003, 12:04 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

I like how the rear end squats just a tad when I push the go pedal, then things get blurry FAST! I love my favorite on ramp, at the end it pinches a bit before opening up and I can kick the tail out just a tad, catch it with a flick of the wrist and rocket up the open highway. (A technique I perfected on-track, 8 years and now instructing) On a calmer note, the looks I get when passengers see the race harnesses and roll bar. Oh NO..It's not JUST a Porsche but a RACE-PREPPED Porsche. The passenger experience starts when they need instruction on how to buckle in. They know it is a SERIOUS car before the engine starts! On track, this machine shod with some gummy Hoosiers is downright amazing.. the lateral G's seem to defy gravity..(or Newton, whichever or both) and I have no problem pacing with cars that are worth 5x as much. (except those nasty Z06s)

WHATA CAR!
Old 12-05-2003, 12:13 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
I like how the rear end squats just a tad when I push the go pedal, then things get blurry FAST! I love my favorite on ramp, at the end it pinches a bit before opening up and I can kick the tail out just a tad, catch it with a flick of the wrist and rocket up the open highway. (A technique I perfected on-track, 8 years and now instructing) On a calmer note, the looks I get when passengers see the race harnesses and roll bar. Oh NO..It's not JUST a Porsche but a RACE-PREPPED Porsche. The passenger experience starts when they need instruction on how to buckle in. They know it is a SERIOUS car before the engine starts! On track, this machine shod with some gummy Hoosiers is downright amazing.. the lateral G's seem to defy gravity..(or Newton, whichever or both) and I have no problem pacing with cars that are worth 5x as much. (except those nasty Z06s)

WHATA CAR!
Nice!

-Z.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:33 PM
nineeagles
Pro

My first drive in my 944 was fantastic. Bought the car out of state and drove it home (400 miles). after just selling the 924 I got a real big surprise driving the 944. Great power and handling. Now she is in the garage getting prepped for paint. I am goin nuts waiting for spring. Oh yeah, closing the doors tells you this car is solid and real. I can't wait until spring. I won't take her out in the salt.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:58 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On my way to work, there's an "S" turn that goes downhill (or uphill on the way home) like a mini-version of the corkscrew at Laguna. I love it when the traffic is clear and I get to hit the brakes hard, heal-n-toe into second, then blast out of the second turn shooting downhill onto the straight stretch. If it's summer and the top is down, I tell passengers to hold up their hands like they're on a rollercoaster. Sometimes they even let out a little scream from the thrill.

It's the simple things that make my day...

Old 12-05-2003, 02:53 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

LOL tifo got a great avatar.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:13 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Heh...aw man, I thought it was just me who thought the sound of the door shutting sounded good! In fact for me, it's the passenger door, compared to the driver's side door it's barely been used (nor has the car, just coming up to 85k km ). I also love the hourglass figure...don't tell me Porsche didn't know what he was doing...and the sound of the stock exhaust at idle is so satisfying...and the way I can drive through parking lots and let it idle low and set off the supersensitive alarms on ricerockets...

Quick Reply: It's not about top speed...