Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 01:33 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I think he is refering to HID bulbs, not an actual HID light fixture.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:22 PM
who1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A HID bulb is useless without a ballast to run it. I think he got swindled with one of those worthless blue "xenon" bulbs.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:39 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see what's worthless about them. Sure, I didn't spend hundreds of dollard on a real HID kit (if they are in fact available), instead I have a cheaper alternative. It illuminates the road better, and gives the car a cool nighttime look. Plus, the bulbs have a lifetime guarantee. Please tell me, what's worthless about that? Don't knock it till you tried it.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:54 PM
who1
Advanced

I guess I don't know about the bulbs you're talking about. Do you have a link so I can go take a look? Thanks. There's some webpage called something like Daniel Stern lighting that explains his theories on this stuff. There's also suvlights that has some info.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:08 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. It is not HID, just some scam, which I guess answers all the questions. Who knows what the heck POS he got scammed with.

A true HID is an arc light. It takes quite a bit of voltage to get the arc started, which is one reason you need the ballast boxes.
It is on the order of 20,000 + volts to fire them up and start the arc. Then you are back down to 80 volts. Not much amperage draw but you need the ballast box to run.

For a filament designed lens just forget this whole HID thing. And as for blue bulbs, well you are nuts going that way. Do it if you want but you now have the Emperor walking down the street naked thinking he has a suit of clothing on.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:01 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Yes of course they are not real HID lights, the guys I bought my set off of said it gave a "HID-look". And that's what they do. It makes the car look a little more modern. Perhaps when I feel like doing a true conversion down the road with the ballasts and wiring harnesses, I will. But it will look very similar, and I will be the only one who knows that they are different. I don't know why people keep calling them "scams" and "POS's"; I knew what I was buying and am satisfied with my purchase.

who1, we are talking about the xenon bulbs that are available on the market right now. Do a search in ebay for porsche 944 headlights to find them, or if you are talking about HID (high-intensity discharge) lights then check this link http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question387.htm
Old 12-05-2003, 06:16 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Well we call them scams and POSes for a good reason. There are a ton of threads on Rennlist regarding this. I don't think the search function works anymore. So you are left to guys that have actually installed kits like mine.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:08 PM
RMills944
Drifting

HOLD UP!! I used the wrong wording in my post....so sue me

I agree with Friendan, they may nto be true HID bulbs, but they sure light up the road a heck of a lot better than the stock lights. They are just "pure white" H4's with a real glass enclosure. The stock lights were MUCH worse at night, and I would not call this a scam becuse they did say it's a "pure white" H4, not true HID bulbs. I'm not about to go spend $250 on headlights, that can be spent much more efficiently on other parts of the car (suspension, engine, etc). I will tell you that these lights will really light up the road though. Signs glow much better in the "pure" light. Don't knock them until you try them. These "scam artists" actually sold me a product I really like.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:57 PM
Friendan
Drifting

There ya go, Rmills. I've read up through some of the other threads about this and I understand the differences. But I'm very happy with my kit until I can afford $350USD for the good one
The guru racing one look pretty cool.
Peace,
B
Old 12-05-2003, 10:10 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guru is selling IceSharks kit.

They are probably brighter because they are new and for no other reason. I think that is what Dan is getting at. PS, my really expensive "ultra-white" bulbs on my last car lasted about 9 months and actually put out less lumens. Then again, they were "cool"
Old 12-05-2003, 11:02 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

I doubt anyone with Icesharks kit regrets the $, miserly as I am I don't.

Like night and day. (no pun intended)
Old 12-06-2003, 01:41 AM
ljd-924SE
Racer

sylvania's Xenarc HID X6024 sealed beam kit dropped in price to $350 as well. more important things, to purchase first, but it's on the list.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:42 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

I've checked out all the bulbs. You may think you are better with the blue bulbs, but you are not. Human perception is sort of strange which is why they run placebos during drug tests.

Trust me, go with white light out of a halogen blub. If you can step up to an E-Code lens and better wiring then you go to 90/100 watt, or so, bulbs. Then you are in the bigs and no rice boy with his blue bulbs will open his mouth.

Stay away from the Xenarc HID. That is a real disaster. Ever wonder why it has come down from $800 so quick?

Quick Reply: Headlight Question