Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler Cleaning Info

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 07:14 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Oil Cooler Cleaning Info

A few days ago I posted "Oil Cooler Advice" about what to do with my 86 NA oil cooler, I had spun a bearing and having metal in the engine figured it would be in the oil cooler also. My options of course were to try and clean the old one or buy a new one for $300. The responses were mixed on cleaning or buying new.
The guy that is reworking my head also builds race engines and stated that he and a NASA engineer had discussed cleaning a similar type oil cooler and the NASA guy said the only way to do it was ultrasonic cleaning. I thought this was interesting but had know idea how to get this done.
A couple of days later I decided to call a place in California that builds Porsche racing engines and ask if they knew of a place to get an oil cooler cleaned. They told me to call Bill at Critical Operations. I talked to Bill and he told me to send the cooler that they used ultrasonic cleaning. I sent the cooler and got it back today about a 2 week turnaround. The cost was $38 + shipping.
I called to find out if there was any metal and the guy that cleaned it said he remembered a lot of thick heavy oil coming out. I also found out that I could request that they screen what comes out and they would send it back with the cooler. So if anyone needs an oil cooler cleaned this place can help.

Critical Operations
3043 Oak St.
Santa Ana, Ca 92707

PH 714-957-1215
Old 12-02-2003, 08:45 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Charlie,
Thanks very much for the review. I'll be giving these guys a call before my cooler goes back in my car.

Now's the time to do it for me, as the front end is totally bare.
-J

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Cleaning Info