Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ergness...may have to sell...don't want to...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 04:17 AM
Lonely Raven
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad you narrowed the issue down a bit Raven.

I'm worried that my 924S might be headed in the same direction, and
I'm going to do the damn best I can to learn to wrench the car myself.
So I wish you luck on yours!!

Sorry I can't help more then that, but with a few exceptions (it appears),
you are in good hands.

Keep the car if you can. Even if you have to park it and pick up a $400
beater till you can afford to fix or learn to fix the 951.

I have my rusty old SAAB 9000 Turbo as my backup. It's so rusted I'm
surprised the wheels are still attached, but in a fix, she'll start and run
for me. I wouldn't feel good about having a Porsche without a backup!

Anywho, Goodluck!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:49 AM
97xray
Burning Brakes

Raven,
An easy test I haven't heard suggested yet is to jack the front end, with the rims/tires on, and have the gf turn the wheel for you. No key in the ignition. If it's something like a strut mount (top of the strut tower) it will make the same or similar sound even without load. If it doesn't make the sound at all, then it's a load bearing part. While it's in the air, try to wiggle the wheel up and down vs. right and left. If it moves right and left, you could have a bad ball joint / control arm bushing, if it wiggles up and down (actually, sort of in and out but pushing on the top and bottom edges of the tire) then you could have a bearing problem.
The tie rod isn't a bad idea - but I would think more along the lines of bushings.
Check that there's no visual sign of the rubber slipping around on the sway bar...
Whatever you do man, get in there. It's your right as a man to lay under that car as long as you want. If it were me - I'd have the flood lights out just for an excuse to lay under it, even if it was fixed up already... but I guess the need for an excuse is a wife thing more than a gf thing.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:15 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

wha huh?? a backup car??
Lonely Raven- I'm still trying to get up to the 'burbs - I get to NC ILL and stop to visit my son.. the rest is history.

I'll drop you a call when I'm getting close to you.

FWIW- when my front bearings started to go I could hear a slight metal grinding noise in a 20 mph hard turn..

Sway bar bushings will relocate themselves (the 2 fronts will slip off the bushing mount) and will cause a clunk when turning..

I have spent many hours looking at my car. most of them from underneath it.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:48 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,279 Likes on 476 Posts

tifosiman-avatar is hilarious!!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:51 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Blood Raven,

I know what broke is, hell I know what beyond broke is I was essentialy homeless once for several months. PARK THAT CAR AND FIX IT RIGHT!!

I wish it was an '87 or later then I would give you my konis/ springs and front control arms as they come off my car. As I am not any where near homeless now, and it is good to give back as my friends had taught me. If you don't know how to fix your car now, buy a manual and "get your *** under that car boy".

Hope all goes well, and if you have any questions or need any help e-mail me with a phone number and I'll call you!

Go get 'em killer..........
Old 12-04-2003, 10:21 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My $0.02: lots of good advice here. Don't drive the car if you can help it, and keep making observations and asking questions. The answers will start making sense.

One problem with these cars, and I must concur with the detractors of hanging on to the car here, is that replacement parts are pretty expensive. Unless you have the wherewithall to afford the parts, it's best that you try to park the car for the time being, although not necessarily sell it, because they don't generally sell for anything near what they're really worth, so you'd be taking a bath in the sale.

One item to check that hasn't been mentioned yet as pertains to the overheating is the fan relay. Good luck with your car and I hope that together we can all help you get it running again.

And finally, like eyal, I applaud Matt H's generosity and above-board camaraderie in lending a lister in need a helping hand. Kudos to you, Matt.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:36 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Ok, just a small update!

I have discovered that I have TWO collant leaks, though one of them seems to be coming from my overflow hose...but I don't know why it would be coming from there, unless I accidently put too much in. The other seems to be coming from closer to the radiator...a hose maybe near the airbox?? Not sure yet.

I took it out for a quick drive yesterday, and noticed I didn't hear that "seal barking" anymore...but still kinda worried, so I will check the bearings and sway bar bushings when I get under there to change my thermoswitch.

That will probably not be until this weekend, cause I am going to be so busy over the next week (my birthday tomorrow, starting my NEW business [details later], and my grandmother and me both have a couple doctor visits this week.) But this will probably turn into an all day thing because the PO decided it best that instead of replacing the thermoswitch, he would just RE-WIRE THE DAMN THING!!! So i have to rewire everthing and hope it all still works right. FUN!
Old 12-08-2003, 01:44 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

bloodraven

If your car is overheating, especially if it's overheating but your dash gauge isn't showing it overheating and thus you don't know about it - your coolant will start to boil or steam up and put enough pressure (15psi) on the cap so that it lets steam (coolant) out of the overflow vent. This can happen anywhere near the first red hash mark.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:46 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

it usually gets up to about the third mark...then goes back down to halfway
Old 12-08-2003, 03:12 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: am I really wrong?

Originally posted by Imo000
My 928 had a broken t-belt when I bought it. The PO neglected it and the car essentially became a parts car or a car that needed extensive engine repair.

I bought it for next to nothing and rebuilt the top end, and made the car road worthy again.

I'm not worried about owning a 928, casue I can and have been repairing everything that a 928 can trow at me.

I know alot of others are not as mechanically inclined as I am. That's why I made the suggestion of BloodRaven seeling his 951.

From the description of his problems he sounded like a person that knows nothing or very little about automotive repair. I think it would be more logical if he owned/leased a car that is alot newer and comes with bumper to bumper warranty.
i am sorry to get off topic here but, how in the hell did you car run a 13.7 stock......you arent even an s4........my father owns a s4,my friend owns a gt.......and i have been to many many 928 meets.....i want a 928 myself......and 928's that are stock run mid 14's to low 14's......slightly modded running high 13's.......so you are telling me with less hp....less.....tq.........crapier tires....ect...ect.....that you run what (from my experience tells me) most 87+ newer 928's with chips, ot exhaust, ect.ect run.....and you are a stock s model???? i am just wondering if thats stock with giggle juice

Last edited by porshhhh951; 12-08-2003 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:16 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

hmmm....no reply.....i take it giggle juice it is
Old 12-09-2003, 09:14 AM
keith
Drifting

Raven - the coolant through ther overflow tube sounds like a bad cap. They are cheap, ~15.00 IIRC, so just geta new one. See if that takes care of both leaks (as in, the coolant might be following 2 paths downward?). However, be prepared for additional possible leaks when the system pressure comes back up to spec.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:15 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

I just put a new cap in about 2 months ago...but I will try another new one!
Old 12-09-2003, 04:44 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts
Smile 99.99% stock

I knew eventually this would come up!

Besides a K&N replacement filter the 928 is stock. I did not use N2O or any other power adder for that matter. Since the rear end ratio is 2.20 on the '85 928 I've used my winter tires (Bridgestone Blizzaks) at the track. This gave me a required wheel spin at the launch to get a ~2.16sec. 60'. The weather was ideal for racing and the day was long. I made two dozen runs that day. It resulted in a bunch of low 14 sec. runs and a couple of 13.8s. There was only one 13.78sec run and I was unable to duplicate it. Never the less it was a legitimate 1/4 mile run in a 99.99% stock 1985 Porsche 928S, 5-speed.

I have a video clip that a friend took from one of my better runs. It's a 14.04 I belive.

Don't ask me why the car is this quick. I've rebuilt the top end but everything was stock and mostly used parts (cylinder heads).

Last edited by Imo000; 12-09-2003 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:33 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Re: 99.99% stock

Originally posted by Imo000
I knew eventually this would come up!

Besides a K&N replacement filter the 928 is stock. I did not use N2O or any other power adder for that matter. Since the rear end ratio is 2.20 on the '85 928 I've used my winter tires (Bridgestone Blizzaks) at the track. this gave me a required wheel spin at the launch to get a ~2.16se 60'. The weather was ideal for racing and the day was long. I made two dozen runs that day. It resulted in a bunch of low 14 sec. runs and a couple of 13.8s. There was only one 13.78sec run and I was unable to duplicate it. Never the less it was a legitimate 1/4 mile run in a 99.99% stock 1985 Porsche 928S, 5-speed.

I have a video clip that a friend took from one of my better runs. It's a 14.04 I belive.

Don't ask me why the is my car that quick. I've rebuilt the top and but everything was stock and used.

wow!!! so it really is stock huh.......thats pretty cool man.......be happy cause you got the fastest stock 928 i have ever hered of.My friends gt runs low 13's but, he has some pretty substancial mods on his car....my fathers is as of now completely stock running low 14's........his is a 87 and my friends is a 90.......grats on your car man...i love 928's ......i will own one day.......they are just so damn expensive.......i worked the deal on my fathers car.....it was a valentines day gift from my mother so she had me find the car and do the deal......we got his at a steal for 9k.....completely original with upgraded bbs wheels......the interior was so clean the leather was still very soft and supple...it was a garage queen...i just got lucky with the timing of it......the pervious owner needed the money.I have since been looking for a 928 of mine own....trying to duplicate the success of my other deal but, alas havent found a 928 to my liking for under 15k ......click on my sig it will take you to my website....while the website is still under construction you can go to "my porsche journey" and you can view a few pics of my dads s4.....the other guy in the photo is my brother in law....that red 944 is my old one that i sold him....and the white turbo is mine with me standing next to it....take care...and keep me in mind if you come arcoss a clean 928.....although it will have to been 87 or newer and needs to be a manual gearbox.....oh and one other thing....lol...it has to be white.

Quick Reply: ergness...may have to sell...don't want to...