Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Experts - question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017 | 01:44 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Before going thru all the pull and replace deal, drain fluid and replace with SWEPCO, making sure you pull the top plug first before the bottom drain. Sometimes these plugs can almost seize in place and will round out if you aren't careful, so make sure you don't back yourself in a corner without a way to get the fluid back in it.

SWEPCO and Porsches are made for each other. I have LSD in nearly all my cars and they can be a bit noisy. Some folks take exception to the sound more than others. I am used to it and know one thing. SWEPCO is like a knife thru hot butter when shifting. It quiets down some noise and is so highly refined, does not need a friction modifier in an LSD unit. It's expensive, but SO worth it.

I would surely rather use an 80 dollar fluid change to determine noise reduction to a multi thousand dollar bill on an R and R. Those sounds may just diminish to the point of acceptability and you will surely notice the difference in shifting .....
Old 08-31-2017 | 08:43 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Before going thru all the pull and replace deal, drain fluid and replace with SWEPCO, making sure you pull the top plug first before the bottom drain. Sometimes these plugs can almost seize in place and will round out if you aren't careful, so make sure you don't back yourself in a corner without a way to get the fluid back in it.

SWEPCO and Porsches are made for each other. I have LSD in nearly all my cars and they can be a bit noisy. Some folks take exception to the sound more than others. I am used to it and know one thing. SWEPCO is like a knife thru hot butter when shifting. It quiets down some noise and is so highly refined, does not need a friction modifier in an LSD unit. It's expensive, but SO worth it.

I would surely rather use an 80 dollar fluid change to determine noise reduction to a multi thousand dollar bill on an R and R. Those sounds may just diminish to the point of acceptability and you will surely notice the difference in shifting .....
944 thumbs up for Swepco.

We race Swepco engine and transmission oils.

T
Old 08-31-2017 | 10:12 AM
sracer
Instructor

thanks again. The mech put Red Line in it, we'll see how it sounds.
Old 08-31-2017 | 11:23 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

My guess is you are still going to hear the sound. Friends have used Redline as well in their transaxles and have gone back to SWEPCO after hearing louder sounds and feeling a bit more of a harsher, less precise shift.

I cannot say personally or attest to it with the same level, as to me and my 944/951, as I have never used REDLINE or any other fluid other than the factory filled, then SWEPCO on the change out.....only am referencing to what friends have experienced. I did drive on track at high speed a friend's normally aspirated 944 with another synthetic ( think it was Castrol ) and didn't like that feel or sound at all, but it was HIS car not mine ). Could be an entirely different deal with his style of driving and wear on the synchros.

Believe me when I say, the transformation is BEYOND remarkable. None better on the market than SWEPCO 201. ( later Porsche cars and 911s use a different number, but our 944 transaxles, with or without LSD love, LOVE the juice ). Synchro wear becomes a distant thing of the past; bearing noise and LSD chatter change dramatically. I just love what the shift lever feels like in the hand on any of those rapid up or downshifts. Smooth. Precise. Solid.

Quick Reply: 944 Experts - question