Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This guy thinks its cool to go 130 on public highways

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 03:29 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its all about choosing the right place and right time before you open the throttle.

People who speed in traffic deserve what they get when they wrap their car around a pole. All they will ever get from me is my hate and my middle finger for screwing up my commute. Any innocent people involved will get my pity.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:59 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting points, Legoland:
Originally posted by Legoland951
To point a gun at a neighbor and pull the trigger is like aiming a car at a crowd and stepping on the gas. I am sure that's not what we are talking about.
True, maybe my example was a bit too unrealistic.
Legoland:
There ARE open roads where there are no on ramps for 10 miles at a time and there are no cars for 5 miles in front of you where the road is straight ahead. Try driving to Vegas from L. A. or driving from S. Ca. to N. Ca. on the 5 freeway. Even better, where I was in Mojave Desert and Death Valley, there are NO cars depending on the time of the year.
This is also true: I live in New Jersey, the most crowded state, so it is difficult, if not impossible for me to travel on the highway for 10 miles without seeing anyone, no matter what time of day it is! However, bear in mind that posting stuff about high speed driving on a public board may lead to some young impressionable person to attempt the same stunt in perhaps not-as-optimal conditions.
Legoland:
I think its irresponsible when there are other people involved on the road, but I believe you just don't want to accept the fact that there are places on the public highway with much less chance of an accident than on the race track where you have plenty of other cars.
I still believe the racetrack is the safest place to play. Yes, accidents happen even on the track. But in a sense, the track is the 'best' place to have an accident: safety gear is nearby (amblance, fire trucks, fire extinguishers), corner workers will (hopefully) prevent other cars from hitting you, some tracks now have 'soft' styrofoam walls at strategic locations...etc. The fact that the ambulance is seconds away is, IMHO, the best thing going. I think it would be difficult to get an emergency vehicle to you quickly in the middle of the dessert.

Yes, accidents are rare: on the track and at higher speeds on the public roads. Am I being paranoid? I don't think so: I'm just playing the best odds.

Peace,
-Z.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:09 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, but I see no way that anyone can justify excessive speeding on public roads: I dare you to try!
This is what sets me off. Closed mind hiding behind a noble cause. Can you say "middle east".

Yes, accidents are rare: on the track and at higher speeds on the public roads. Am I being paranoid? I don't think so: I'm just playing the best odds.
Now that is better. I believe in moderation. Use your head in the things you do, speeding included. turbo944's eloquent post states this best. I have been driving 30 years. I have multiple PHD's in traffic school (not as a trainer, but as a violator). I have driven my car to its redline on a public road (170?). Where I would do this....would be on a section of road very similar to, and perhaps even safer than a track environment. SAFER? Where would this be possible? Hwy 5 in California has a straight that is 400 miles long. What track has that long a straight?. I NEVER drive fast when driving through my neighborhood where kids play or where pedestrians have access to the road. I have never had an accident. Just common sense stuff.

I just get so tired when one idiot does something stupid, then some closed minded zealot runs with it, and everyone else has to pay.

To equate this back to your safe track environment, how would you feel if a race car jumps the fence at your favorite track and kills 100 spectators, then the zealots ban track racing?

This has occured at Le Mans, Indy, Nascar, Rally, etc.

Who wants to live in a safe vacuum? As Tom Jefferson said "Give me Liberties, or Give me Death".

I drive a Porsche.

Last edited by Bill; 12-03-2003 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I do understand your frustration Z-man about your frustration with idiotic speeders. I attend many police auctions where people wreck their cars and killing themselves or other people. There is nothing like the smell of death. I believe street racers who kill others on the road with their intentional ignorance should be eligible for the death sentence by execution carried out by the family members of those who were killed. I further agree with you in that increased speeds means increased chance of serious accidents. I think we agree more than disagree but the bottom line is, don't cause accidents due to recklessness and know when or when not to do certain things.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:25 PM
bcdavis
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was not trying to say it is safe to drive those speeds in heavy traffic.

My point is that some people act like it is *unsafe* to have your Porsche at those speeds.
They seem to think it is going to explode and veer into oncoming traffic at any moment.
They seem to think that we should drive 55MPH, and no faster.
And to do so, anywhere other than a racetrack, is unsafe.

I am simply saying that there are times when it is safe.
Like in Montana, Texas, parts of the midwest, the desert states, the central valley, etc...
Also on regular freeways, at 4AM, when there is no one else on the road...

The point about the autobahn, is simply to state that Porsches were meant to be driven fast, and people over there drive those speeds WITH other cars around, and do not have problems...

I am not even suggesting driving that fast when other cars are all around you.
I am saying that it is reasonably safe to drive your Porsche fast.
These cars were meant to go fast.
They will not explode and veer out of control, just because you broke the US speed limit.
They will not crash and burn, just because you are speeding, somewhere other than a racetrack.

These cars can handle the speed, if you do it somewhere it is safe.
Racetrack, empty public road, etc...
Old 12-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

not to mention that 99% of us touting 150+mph probably backed off pretty ****ing quickly at that point. There is a difference between sprinting up to 160mph for a few seconds, then back down to 60, and doing 120mph for long periods.

When I drove through Germany a few years ago, I have the Opel pinned on 125mph for almost an hour. Totally safe. I would have kept going had I not used up an entire tank of gas. You could see the needle falling down to "E"

Around here in BC, even if it was legal to do above 60mph, there are few places were I'd be safely able to go faster than 100mph for more than a 1/2 mile.

I know there are tons of straight highways in the praries, ie saskatchewan, great plains, down south, cali, texas, nevada, etc etc.. some of those roads should have higher speed limits. Here in Canada we have sickeningly low speed limits on the highways.

We have a Highway up here called the Coquihalla (coke-a-halla) and it's a fairly well paved, well looked after stretch of highway from a town called Hope to another town called Merrit (the halfway point) and then to Kelowna. It's basically 4 hours at the legal pace, and there is NOTHING in between the two towns, expect trees and mountains. Its a two lane, (two in each direction) well divided highway with a limit of 110kph/68mph. They are "thinking" of raising the limit to 120kph. I have driven the whole thing safely many many times well above the limit and not only is safe, but everyone else is well above the limit even the cops. In fact I was pulled over once doing 140kph in a 110kph on the coq, and the officer only wanted to know why my front plate was missing!

Another funny thing, around here, penalties for speeding in KPH are clsoe to your penalties in MPH. Which means we get fined almost the same amounts for infractions of smaller increments.

Speeding is not always "simply unsafe" , and in this case no one else other than yourself is being put in any kind of "more unsafe" position.

Zoltan - sound like you guys are hurting for some seriously nice roads over there on the eastern seaboard. Fly out here next summer and I'll show you some of our beautiful drives out here. I can get you a great rate at my hotel.

I think I'm just babbleing now, but I can always talk about speeding and how it's not always as unsafe as some preach it to be.. anyways.. I think it's time to go do something productive, like, go for a drive!

Last edited by Rich Sandor; 12-03-2003 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:59 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Valid points, Bill, Lego, Rich.

Thanks for the invite, Rich. You wouldn't let me 'borrow' your 951 for a jaunt down the 'coq,' would you?!?

Yes, NJ is hurting for some nice stretches of roads. However, a quick ride up into NY State, and there are some nice, tight canyon-carving roads that are absolutely thrilling to drive on. (Not in terms of high speeds, but in terms of tight corners!)

-Z.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:31 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by 89magic98
684 is the autobahn of Westchester County.
Yes it is, especially after they repaved part of it.

Smooth as glass...except for the 3 or 4 20 foot sections where it jumps back to the old pavement.

Average speed of 80-85mph is typical (55mph zone)

Everybody isn't driving foot to the floor @ top speed all the time though.

The fact that the cruising speed is so high doesn't mean that its not once in a blue moon that the same driver will go to that road and REALLY open it up.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:28 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Doing 150+ down the interstate is a bit on the crazy/stupid side, I agree.
Whoever in the other thread said "there are speed limits for a reason" is living in la la land. 55mph, 65mph whatever the limit is, are dangerous speeds in a wreck. My #1 problem with speed limits is the false sense of security it gives to the majority of drivers.

I'd feel safer with an esperience driver in a well made/kept up sports car doing 100mph down hwy 41 in Green Bay then all the other drivers doing a "legal" 65mph while:
on the phone
shaving
trying to find a cd on the floor
looking for change
receiving oral sex (you know who you are)
putting on makeup
watching a movie on their new in dash dvd player

Speed limits are there for a reason. To give cops a steady source of income. If speed limits were there for our safety, they wouldn't go over 30mph.
oh my.......well.....i really really couldnt have said it any better myself......sir i salute you
Old 12-04-2003, 12:33 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Re: This guy thinks its cool to go 130 on public highways

Originally posted by DerSchlechtSpecht ......hey this guy thinks its cool to go 130 on public highway's...........lmao!@!$#

okay okay i cant resist.......do you really wanna know what you are......give uP????? still havent gotten it yet???? YOU ARE A HALL MONITOR!!

you are the kid that when we were all 12 and running late to class because we actually had girlfriends would run up behind us and say...."excuse me .....your late....dont you have to be somewhere.......break it up here......you guys should be ashamed of yourself's"

i tell you what.....go and get a badge....i think you missed your calling.....and dont forget to kiss my
Old 12-04-2003, 12:35 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Z-Man,

And your concern is also valid.

You are also welcome at my home in NorCal anytime. I am 20 minutes north east of the beautiful track, Laguna Seca, in Monterey. We have some world class twisty roads here, that I would be glad to share should you ever be in our neighborhood.

Safely of course. At the posted speed limit.......I don't think so.

porshhhh951......LOL! well said!
Old 12-04-2003, 12:39 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by Bill
Z-Man,

And your concern is also valid.

You are also welcome at my home in NorCal anytime. I am 20 minutes north east of the beautiful track, Laguna Seca, in Monterey. We have some world class twisty roads here, that I would be glad to share should you ever be in our neighborhood.

Safely of course.
Mmmm...Laguna Seca....Mmmmmm

That's my #1 dream track to drive on!

Someday....someday....

Thanks for the invite! Of course, all of you are welcome to experience NJ driving, where the middle finger IS your turn signal!
-Z.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:19 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

GD, what a ridiculous series of threads - is this the Dodge Caravan forum or what? Matt H, you are dead on with your original post about folks getting off their high horses (may have been on a related linked thread). I recognize that the average IQ among Porsche owners is probably higher than on the Z28 or Mustang forum, so you are going to see more self-awareness/safety consciousness, but Christ...

Porsches are made to drive fast; people are going to do so on public roads because that's where they drive them, and that's the joy of driving these cars. Debating the morality of it is pointless. Some folks are safety *****, some very much aren't, and most of us fall somewhere between - but I guarantee we all break the law from time to time.

Let's shoot for a more realistic goal than talking all 944 owners out of speeding: create the longest thread ever...the way this is going, we'll get there...

Flame on, Ralph Nader types - Al
Old 12-05-2003, 12:44 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

Wow, what a thread! Z- Noble cause, I almost feel sorry for you. I think a few thousand miles away from NJ, in the flatlands of Indiana, Ohio..even Texas might change your tune just a tad. Out past Indianapolis there are roads that you can see miles ahead.. wide open fields on either side of the fences, no sneaking toddlers, sparse traffic, etc. Yea, it may be risky but it sure isn't as dangerous as you make it seem. I feel safer there than the back straight of mid-ohio where groundhogs and deer have been known to cross. I also know of many students and instructors who have met an obstacle by going off track. It's all a risk.. do the math and play your chips where you like. (And don't bet anyone else's chips for them!)
Old 12-05-2003, 12:38 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

I remember Scott Pruett hitting a marmot there at Mid-Ohio in a Champ Car (was Indycar back then) race......sheesh.....

Mid-Ohio is a great track to drive though....but I never really worried about the deer/marmots (groundhogs) coming out in front of me on track there....

Quick Reply: This guy thinks its cool to go 130 on public highways