Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This guy thinks its cool to go 130 on public highways

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 12:40 AM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Hacker-Pschorr

I'd feel safer with an esperience driver in a well made/kept up sports car doing 100mph down hwy 41 in Green Bay then all the other drivers doing a "legal" 65mph while:
on the phone
shaving
trying to find a cd on the floor
looking for change
receiving oral sex (you know who you are)
putting on makeup
watching a movie on their new in dash dvd player

Speed limits are there for a reason. To give cops a steady source of income. If speed limits were there for our safety, they wouldn't go over 30mph.

YES!!!! EXACTLY!!!! Whenever I drive over the limit, all my attention is clearly focused on the road, and to make sure that nobody's safety is compromised. Radio is off, no food is present, and I never drive quickly when my friends are in the car. Accidents happen when people are blasting techno and trying to impress their friends. Distracted driving in my opinion is much more dangerous than attentive people who are speeding. I completely agree with Hacker-Pschorr.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:56 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found that certain types of music tempt me to drive faster.

I don't turn OFF the radio, I just play more serene music that won't get my adreneline pumping, but won't put me to sleep either.

http://www.ocremix.org/index.php

But Food and Cells are a big no no IMHO
Old 11-30-2003, 02:15 AM
Techmonkey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 1990_S2
Whatever.

If you want to put down some speed and miles do this:WIDE OPEN ON THE HIGHWAY. I'm prepping my car for the September Event, 120MPH class. I'd be happy to meet up with some '44 heads at the event.

Or if you just want to sample high speeds on a shorter venue go do this: 130 or 150 MPH club . I'm targeting speedweek '05 for this in my car. Likewise, git your game on, I'll meet you there.

Yeah they had a segment (well half the show) in I belive "American Muscle Car" on The SPEED channel. It looked awsome with very little you needed to do to your car.
It was also a competition with the object being to averge you speed catagory. ie 120mph you needed to average 120mph over the whole course.

I hope to be there next summer!!!!!
It would be cool to invade the event with 944.
I dont think there was a single one last year because I didnt see one in the segment but it was an American car showe of some sort.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:43 AM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Anders, I grew up in Germany and am well aware of the speeds driven over there. However the condition of high speed european roads does not come close to the crappy quality and un predictability of American interstate roads. On most Autobahns sections of road are closed just to repair minor cracks. Id like to see that here, but then hear the tax collector ringing at my door.

Christian
Old 11-30-2003, 03:00 AM
volv4life
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ehh... we have alot more road over here than over on the autobahn i would think
Old 11-30-2003, 03:25 AM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

No, the pavement on the Autobahns are several times thicker than here in the US.

Christian
Old 11-30-2003, 03:56 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am going to post the same message I did in the other thread. I guess going 70 on a motorcycle is every bit more dangerous than 130 in a car. I can hit a pothole or any road obstacle like oil or dirt along with anything else like a deer and die. Does that make me reckless? I have gone 150 on a motorcycle and a car on public highways where I can see at least 5 miles in front of me with no cars in the middle of the day where visibility is great and the road is straight. If you think the roads are not built for speed in the U. S., have you heard of the silver state classic race where the average speed for some cars for a 90 mile race is over 130? All this is done on a public highway. I don't believe there are going to be any pedestrians or deers I am going to miss when I can see miles ahead of me in the middle of the desert going to Vegas where we averaged 100 miles per hour for 3 hours it took us to go from L. A. to L. V. (315 miles total). I completely agree that there are too many idiotic drivers out there and in most cases, one would never want to go even 70 mph because there are too many cars. Most of the time, I ride my 125hp GSXR 750 in the 2nd lane going 65 following behind another car even though I can do 0 to 60 in 3 seconds and hit 150+ with a twist of a throttle that will dust a highly modified 951 like if its standing still. If I am going to worry about every pothole that I may hit that may kill me, I would never have gotten on a bike because anything over 45 mph is most likely lethal if you hit something. What should the speed limit be then? 70? I believe the solution should be to make a driver's license as hard to get as a racing license instead of these 55 or even 70 mph speed limits. Matt, I agree with you that speed limits are for the government to generate revenue and I drive at the speed where I feel safe. If the speed of traffic going to vegas is 100 mph, I would speed up to the flow of traffic and if I don't feel comfortable, move over to the right and let them pass. I am sure you are familiar with the studies that show speed differential between different vehicles is what contributes to many of the accidents and not the overall speed. Open straight road, good visibility, no traffic, good vehicle, competent driver, and common sense is good enough in my book for someone going 130 because you are going to be just as dead if you have a blow out at 70 or 130 when you flip off the road as most cars will only save you when the accident is less than 40 mph. Lets get off high horses and not pretend that we never have sped at dangerous speeds (any speed greater than 40 mph is dangerous). Also, I find it hard to believe that they close the autobahn for every crack especially with the cold winters there. I would imagine the road would be closed most of the time and wouldn't it be nice to drive up to a closed section of the highway going at autobahn speeds? Somehow, that doesn't seem to make sense to me.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:56 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Tifo-

where the hell you get that avatar. I like.

Ive been away WAY too long. Good news folks. Im back on the mainland by Monday afternoon!!
Old 12-01-2003, 02:02 PM
kinda5150
Racer

goooood grief. i thought going fast is what tied everyone here together! is there some other reason anyone would own this car?! i personally haven't had this car up to 130, maybe 100, but far be it for me to tell someone not to. to each his own, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else....go as fast as you want, whenever you want, wherever you want, as many times as you want!!! if you don't like going fast, then don't. but just because you don't agree doesn't make the ones who do stupid.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:26 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

I have been away (for the most part), as well, for a while. These threads regarding speed plague all messageboards, I say this because nobody ever seems to learn from them.

As far as I know, in Germany the roads are thicker and are designed for speed (engineers designed the curves based on what speed people travel). In the US, the roads were not designed for speed..though most cars can safely handle speeds exceeding the speed limits, the roads are not designed for this. Also, in Germany the driving age is older than in the US. Why might this be? Possibly to prevent immature drivers from abusing the high speed limits? Hmmmm.

I am attached to the car for the way it handles and how nimble it is around the track. Also, for the fact that I feel safe in the car. I recently drove my sister's Echo, I was afraid of it rolling over (even though it was nowhere close, just renewed the sensation of excessive leaning).

Anyways, my 2 cents...
Old 12-01-2003, 02:30 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Robert - what makes the road that used to be 55 any different from that same road at 70? I have said it and so has Matt Olde. Speed limits are arbitrary (though I do tend to obey them). It has little to do with safety.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:36 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had it up once to 155 indicated on a long straight section. Not that I do it all the time. There are sections of this country's interstate system that should be posted at 100+ but most drivers either can't handle it or their cars are unsafe at any speed. That said, most drivers wouldn't even go that fast because 80 seems to be about what most folks are ok with. That leads me to the other thing that really bugs me. There are legal posted limits in some areas that are insanely low. I can only conclude that it's that way to generate revenue whenever the city or state needs some extra money. Just send John Law out to the money strip to pick some up. But back to the speeding thing, I would venture to say that it is a very rare Porsche owner that hasn't engaged in a bit of high velocity driving on the public roads. I would also agree though that it (very high speeds, not 10 over) should be kept mainly to the track.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:39 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by sweanders
Yeah, I'm so sick and tired of people complaining about speed.

If you ever drive in Germany you'll notice that a normal cruising pace is 150-160 km/h or 95-100 mph.

If you drive 55 you'll be pushed of the roads by school buses.
Granted, that's in Germany. And it's not just roads that are so different there.

However, here in the USA, I'd say the average speed on interstates (closest equivalent to the Autobahn) is somewhere around 65 - 75 mph. Someone doing 130 in such an environment is just asking for disaster.

Sorry, but I see no way that anyone can justify excessive speeding on public roads: I dare you to try!

-Zoltan.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:41 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave - speed limits are (mostly) based on population grids. That is why a two lane road in the middle of nowhere might be 60 where that same road, say, in your neighborhood is posted 30. States make their own highway speedlimits but to build with government funding often requires "clean air" amendments. I think what we would find if we lifted speed limits would be that traffic would cruise about 85.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:44 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Matt - The difference lies in how there are safety engineers working on the highways, their sole purpose is to look at a mark of highway and determine what speed is going to provide a certain level of safety. If a road was changed from a 55mph speed limit to 70mph, the engineer working on that road must have looked at the bankings of turns and quality of the pavement to determine a new speed limit based on rising safety levels of cars, and the amount of traffic (other cars, pedestrians, and animals) present on that road. The majority of cars on the road today are vastly safer than cars of 10 or 15 years ago. This is why the speed limits have risin on some roads.
Speed limits are not arbitrary, they are an estimate for the safe speed a car can handle on a road. Even though our cars were made to handle higher speeds does not mean it is safe in all cases and on every road.

Quick Reply: This guy thinks its cool to go 130 on public highways