Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio not working???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 01:46 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Radio not working???

Ok strange things have been happening with my 87' 951. Ever since I put in a boost gauge a few weeks ago my radio stopped working. I never touched the radio or anything around it all I did was slide a nylon tube trough the rubber gromet in the firewall. I dont know if this has anything to do with it at all but I thought I would mention it since it happened at the same time. So I wired up another radio and still not working. But while driving the other night I realized that my radio works when the headlights are turned on, but only this happenes sometimes. Other times it will work when you press the brakes, and sometime with just the parking lights. Does anybody have any idea what this could be??
Old 11-29-2003, 02:13 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to spout the obvious...but I say there is a wiring problem not connected to the boost gauge. Try tracing the wires from your radio and see were it leads you.

and I love your sig...thats funny
Old 11-29-2003, 02:24 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I have check my wiring several times, and also re-wired it. But still it does not want to work properly. But when it does come on with the lights the radio works just as it should. And I never touched the radio until now, it has been working perfectly since I bought the car and now out of the blue it started doing this. Any other ideas?
Old 11-29-2003, 02:35 AM
FSTPRSH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's an aftermarket, try wiring it straight to the battery (not sure of stock wiring setup), if it works fine then perhaps a bad ground somewhere?

-edit-

Just remembered, a friend of mine recently had an amp go "out". Turns out a wire had been pinched, didn't look broken or anything, but there were maybe two strands of copper left inside the sleeve. Did you rewire the entire thing, or just the power supply wires? That ignition wire can be a bastard sometimes.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:11 AM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have a multimeter, then do this.
Remove your radio so you can get at its harness.
Make sure that the car is off, the pull the fuse for the audio system. Now check for continuity between the contacts of the fuse block and your radio power lead. If there isnt continuity (make sure to try both sides of the fuse holder) then your radio's power supply is wired into something else. Almost sounds like its pulling power off of your brake light circuit, from your description.

Quick Reply: Radio not working???