Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help identifying engine seals

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 01:48 PM
mikehayes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help identifying engine seals

Hey guys, I ordered a block seal kit and a head seal kit for my 16V. It came with a lot of unlabeled seals and I could use some help knowing what's what. I'll run though the pics and say what I think I know.

1. Used to have 2 large black o rings and 2 red ones. Sealed the lower balance shaft with them and they seem correct, though the rear plug has a little play which concerns me. There are 2 equal size washers (no idea) and 2 green o rings that I assume are for the oprv.

2. One clear and one black large rubber bushing. I assume one is for the oil pickup, don't know the other. One larger one ring, I believe this is for the oil pump. One 10mm black rubber bushingloves, 3 different size washers, and a thick red or ring (no idea).

3. 2 red ones rings, I assume for the AOS, one small black o rings, no idea.

4. One large copper crush ring, and four small washers, all the same size, no idea.

5. 2 upper water pipe seals, and what I assume is an o ring for the thermostat.

Anything you recognize just shout it out and I'll rest a lot easier knowing I didn't screw something up. Thank you!

Old 08-13-2017, 02:38 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Thermostat is in the water pump - not related to the head gasket, so that's not a thing in this kit.

Little copper washes are for the chain tensioner banjo bolts.

I bet some of the orings and seals are for the 968 engine - they just put all the parts in one kit to simplify things (on their end, not on your end!).

I also doubt anything from the head gasket kit would be for either the balance shaft covers or the AOS - since those things don't have to come off to change the head gasket.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:39 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

p.s. large copper crush ring is probably for the exhaust.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:37 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Big black at balance cover front bearing supports is correct, orange at the back.
Orange fits tight in grooved rear plug and may wobble with your finger in the middle trying to make it move. I put a dab of orange high temp rtv on my finger and make a U shaped bead in the groove over the orange oring.

The smaller greens are for the sleeve that adapts oil pressure from the oil filter housing to the block or on the internal heat exchanger if you have an NA.

There is a crush for the turbo oil cooler feed off the left balance cover, a crush for the oil pan drain plug and crush on every allen head cam housing bolt access hole.

The white plastic is to shim the internal heat exchanger on the NA so it is level with the housing when inserted and laid flat on a surface.

Do you have the engine manual....?

T
Old 08-13-2017, 03:39 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

the red fat orings are the rear balance seal items but the upper aos seal is usually black and a similar size. the front crank and lower aos seal should be green.

the lo-down by package number https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...944-turbo.html
Old 08-13-2017, 07:48 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

AOS seals are not sold in any of the gasket kits....kind of annoying!
Old 08-14-2017, 11:17 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
the red fat orings are the rear balance seal items but the upper aos seal is usually black and a similar size. the front crank and lower aos seal should be green.

the lo-down by package number https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...944-turbo.html
This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you. I don't know what you're referring to when you say a green front crank seal, all the front main seals I've seen are reddish orange.

Originally Posted by Chris White
AOS seals are not sold in any of the gasket kits....kind of annoying!
That is annoying, and I'm glad you told me or I would have been pulling my hair out. Also seems like I only got one OPRV o ring... off to order some.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:43 PM
pdxfj
Instructor

Actually I think the two different sized, red o-rings are for the AOS.. The upper o-ring is smaller than the lower.

I just went through my engine over the winter and used the same kits. Both lower and upper engine kits.

They have everything, and then some. You just have to keep track of what comes off from where and match everything up as you put it back together.

Just as a FYI: The white translucent round seal is for the oil pick up tube and the back one is for the N/A's oil cooler.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:53 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

i should have phrased that better...

the O-ring between the oil pump drive and the washer behind the pulley assembly comes in two flavors, black and green. your kit probably supplies a black O-ring but the green one is preferred.

my 92 has two different size aos seals and there are two coolant passage seals in the throttle for de-icing
Old 08-15-2017, 10:44 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Originally Posted by pdxfj
Actually I think the two different sized, red o-rings are for the AOS.. The upper o-ring is smaller than the lower.

I just went through my engine over the winter and used the same kits. Both lower and upper engine kits.

They have everything, and then some. You just have to keep track of what comes off from where and match everything up as you put it back together.

Just as a FYI: The white translucent round seal is for the oil pick up tube and the back one is for the N/A's oil cooler.
Yeah, I went to order the AOS seals and saw they were red and compared the two I had to the old ones. That's them. I think what really threw me off was the fact that there was extra stuff. I was nervous that there were parts I didn't recognize.

Black seal is already in the oil cooler, pickup tube will go on soon. Still can only find one O-ring for the OPRV though, maybe the one piece usually stays that way and people only replace the visible O-ring, as opposed to mine, which split in half and damaged the inner one.

Quick Reply: Need help identifying engine seals