Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 turbo concours prep project

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 03:30 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts
Cool 944 turbo concours prep project

I wanted to share a few pictures(and a video later when I have the time to piece it together) of a 944 turbo project that just visited us. The owner was doing a great job keeping the car clean but the paint was lacking the gloss he personally wanted and the wheel wells, suspension and brakes needed some more intensive attention. We worked on his e92 M3 a few years ago and after showing me the car at the local Caffeine and Exotics car show in Atlanta a few times he decided to swing the new 944t by.

There were some standing thickness concerns with a few areas of this original paint and there was no absolute path to getting the most out of the paint. So I measured, about 125+ spots around the car, and built the game plan from that information. Some areas had enough paint for us to get a bit more aggressive and some areas were so thin that it meant a solution much less aggressive was needed.

After marking down the details for each panel, I used painter's tape to leave notes of what areas were of great concern, where we could get more aggressive and where there was a standing condition to ensure no undue risks were taken.

I am sorry to say we simply did not have the time to document individual shots of the paint correction(that process can make the PC process take about 20% longer).

For the wheels it was pretty straight forward. Brake calipers that appear to have never been cleaned had an insanely thick layer of cooked on grime. Suspension and wheel wheels were not terrible. The inner barrels on the wheels were time consuming. In all, the wheels, wheel wells, suspension and brake clean up ate up about 12 hours of labor but the juice was worth the squeeze. For this 944t, the clock was truly turned back and it came away with an excellent gloss and the marks hit for the owner.

I hope you enjoy the shots.

-JC

When she arrived, the gloss was lacking...

The gloss was missing due to all of this:

Ouch...no, that was not wiping off. It has been baked on for years.

The paint getting measured and noted.

Paint and body notes.

Marking the car off.

Some before and after shots of the wheel wells, suspension and brakes.

And the final gloss shot. Sorry that we can't help with extensive during nor after shots but we did shoot a lot of video of the final product and as soon as I can manage, I will share a video.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:52 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

The car looks fantastic - thanks Jean Claude and team !!!! The level of care, attention and going above and beyond here is huge, can't wait to show it off at the next car show.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:49 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nashvegas
The car looks fantastic - thanks Jean Claude and team !!!! The level of care, attention and going above and beyond here is huge, can't wait to show it off at the next car show.
THanks!
Old 08-15-2017, 06:55 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 148 Posts

Jean Claude,

Man, I wish you guys were in the NE. I've been looking for a top-notch detailing company for both my P and MB...
Old 11-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pfarah7
Jean Claude,

Man, I wish you guys were in the NE. I've been looking for a top-notch detailing company for both my P and MB...
Maybe you should try AutoNuvo in the greater Boston area? Call them and ask for James. He is a friend and I respect him. With full-disclosure in mind: I have not seen his work first hand but I have spoken with him at length about what's lacking in our industry and where we both desire to be(as you can see in the content in this thread). He is like-minded and I believe it's worth your effort to call him.

His direct number is 617.581.4912.
http://autonuvo.com/

Quick Reply: 944 turbo concours prep project