Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Motor Contacts Polarized?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:56 AM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Starter Motor Contacts Polarized?

A quick easy question...

Are the contacts on the starter motor polarized? There's no mention of this on Clark's Garage or Pelican in their procedures for removal/installation.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:46 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When you say "polarized" do you mean can the wires be swapped between the two large teminals on solenoid? The answer would be no, they can not be swapped.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:33 PM
931guru
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 235 Posts

Take a picture before you take it apart. That way, you will know how to put it back to the way it was before you messed with it.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:57 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

The negative, or ground, is the whole body of the starter and gets it's connection from the bell housing which has a cable that goes to the battery negative pole.

The positive lead is a big wire that comes from the positive pole of the battery via the alternator. This has a 13mm nut on it.

The little wire, with the 8mm nut, is the "trigger" wire - when you turn the key, electricity goes through this to operate the solenoid (switch) on the starter which turns the starter on (that initial "click" you hear). The starter has this system because the key switch isn't robust enough to handle the amperage the starter needs to turn the engine over.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:17 PM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 931guru
Take a picture before you take it apart. That way, you will know how to put it back to the way it was before you messed with it.
Thanks. While I do appreciate the wisdom of that suggestion it doesn't actually answer my question. Furthermore, $20 says there's nowhere in the service manual that actually says this, so I doubt RTFM actually applies. Thank you for playing.

For Van and marc abrams thank you for your help.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:44 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just re-read my post and I would like to clarify what I said earlier. While you may be able to swap the wires on the large teminals physically, electrically they can not be swapped.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:20 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Yes I think all the wires you connect to it are positive and it grounds via the bellhousing.
In that sense they are polarized but all +.

I used to wonder if you could swap the internal wiring so a VW Jetta starter would run the right way for a 944 but... now I only have 968s and the starter is different for the 968 6MT.
It'd probably work though, swapping the wires to the brushes.
Old 02-12-2022, 02:32 PM
944Time
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
The negative, or ground, is the whole body of the starter and gets it's connection from the bell housing which has a cable that goes to the battery negative pole.

The positive lead is a big wire that comes from the positive pole of the battery via the alternator. This has a 13mm nut on it.

The little wire, with the 8mm nut, is the "trigger" wire - when you turn the key, electricity goes through this to operate the solenoid (switch) on the starter which turns the starter on (that initial "click" you hear). The starter has this system because the key switch isn't robust enough to handle the amperage the starter needs to turn the engine over.

8mm

http://www.944time.com/porsche/944starter.php
Old 02-12-2022, 05:44 PM
orig944
Pro

Received 176 Likes on 146 Posts

Offhand, I would have said yes, since the solenoid simply shorts the terminals when the drive is fully extended. But, I took a look at the schematic and found they had done something tricky inside. The solenoid has two coils in it. One works like you would think, taking power from the small terminal, energizing the coil, and grounding through the metal case. The second coil takes power from the small terminal, through it's coil, and grounds through the starter motor windings. When you first turn the key, both coils are on until the big terminals are shorted, at which point the second coil has positive voltage on both ends so it is shut off. This allows the solenoid to pull in hard, then reduce the pull, only maintaining position in order to reduce power to prevent overheating. If you swap terminals, current will always be flowing through the coils in series, which would be a bad thing. Learn something new every day.

Last edited by orig944; 02-12-2022 at 05:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
944Fest (aka Dan P) (02-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Starter Motor Contacts Polarized?