Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A review of the "oil can" method to bleed/fill the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 12:27 PM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up A review of the "oil can" method to bleed/fill the clutch

So, yesterday my brother and I replaced my clutch master and slave along with the soft/hard line. Everything went pretty well and I was chuffed with the outcome.

When it came time to bleed we used the infamous "BMW, VW, Porsche Clutch Bleeding"/"oil can" method described here:

Here is a picture of the setup we used.

Oil can from Amazon:
Amazon Amazon
Tubing from Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...d=841804100264
Silicone Tape: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-1...8735/205764081

Here are the steps we followed:

1) Remove the bleed nipple from the old slave cylinder
2) Cut the end off the black tube on the oil can using something sharp. (Note that this particular can has a metal wire inside the tube to keep the tube stiff so you may not be able to cut all the way through if using a razor blade like we were. We cut that wire inside with a pair of lineman's pliers. When we got to step 4 we just inserted the wire into the hole on the old bleed nipple and there was plenty of room for the fluid to flow around it.)
3) Cut about a foot of clear 3/16" inner diameter hose. This hose is important because you want to be able to see that you're pushing fluid into the system without any air bubbles.
4) Use the bleed nipple as a connector between the two hoses by pushing their ends over either end of the old nipple
5) Wrap the joint tightly with the silicone tape to seal
6) Fill the can with DOT3 brake fluid and follow the instructions from the YouTube video.

This worked awesomely. My brother watched the reservoir as I was under the car pumping fluid into the system. Some fluid did drip out around the bleed nipple on the slave, but I just had a shop towel there to catch the drips and kept pumping fluid into it until my brother saw the fluid level rise in the expansion tank. Once that was done I shut off the nipple on the slave and we filled the reservoir to full. Then we pumped the clutch pedal slowly to fill the master with fluid. Once it started returning on its own, we made sure the level was right in the expansion tank and we were good to go.

The procedure worked a treat, and it's a vast improvement over my old leaky master cylinder. Kudos to that guy on YouTube for showing us that procedure. It has my stamp of approval.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:54 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Well done. That's been my bleeding method of choice for about 30 years. Common practice on light aircraft, I picked it up while earning my A&P (Airframe & Power plant) licenses. No danger of spraying brake fluid everywhere from a failed pressure bleeder. Lately I have been using a large 2 oz. syringe in place of the oil can.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 129 Posts

I recently saw a new product at my FLAPS..It is a mini-suction gun that could be used in brake bleeding ..It holds about 200cc of fluid. It has double O-rings and is pretty cheap..Can be used for either suction or pressure type bleeding, or perhaps with the right caps, burping the coolant system of air..

Quick Reply: A review of the "oil can" method to bleed/fill the clutch