Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler...Magnaflow or Borla.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 08:36 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Muffler...Magnaflow or Borla.

From the older topics ive read, this topic is beat to death, but why not beat the dead horse some more eh? I am in need of a new muffler soon as the area right infront of the outlet pipe is beginning to rust badly and with the coming snow and roadsalt, doubt it will last through the winter. So basically the question for you N/A guys is how do Borla and MagnaFlow mufflers sound?

Also, i know the inlet/outlet is 2.25inches, but what are the specs of the stock muffler...i am looking TurboXL line from Borla, but apparently those only come in center/offset configuartions. I just want to make sure i order the right dimensions. Also does anyone know if i will be able to retain the stock tip, or will i have to buy a aftermarket?
Old 11-25-2003, 12:36 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forget about the 924s, and save up for a 951 bro!
Old 11-25-2003, 01:55 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BORLA!!! - don't make the mistake I made... twice
Old 11-25-2003, 08:13 AM
identity crisis
Instructor

I haven't heard the Borla, so I have no good basis for comparison, but I had the Magnaflow installed along with a new, hi-flo cat and I really like the sound it makes. it's deeper and more mellow than stock and not 'tinny' at all. If you free-rev it up to 4 or 5 it gets a little raspy, but not when you're driving it. I'd recommend it.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:50 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

have you called SFR? Tim does great work... I just got in on the REnnnlist buy... I plan to ADD a Borla XR1 to it though, as Tim said his is a little louder than stock- I'll have his 3" catback w/his muffler on the end &, HOPEFULLY, a Borla welded in somewhere in there- I KNOW it can be donep- Tony Garcia has 3 Borla XR1's on one of his cars, & says it is VERY quiet & nice sounding.... I'm hoping 2 will be enough, but we'll see... anyway, just thought I'd mention it...

good luck...
Old 11-25-2003, 12:21 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

The SFR setup is really out of my price-range, as you see in my sig i only have about $14.54 saved up at the moment. The muffler really is a necessity to get done before the snow and salt come around the corner. My next paycheck goes to the muffler, tip and install and the rest of it into the bank.

Plus i dont think my dad would be too keen on the idea that i bought that expensive of a exhaust system....im saving that yelling for the 951 (when i eventually get it).
Old 11-25-2003, 01:50 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Flowmaster! it will still sound like a Porsche.....but ballsier

Old 11-25-2003, 01:52 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

I 2nd the flowmaster route.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:55 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Some of the flowmasters sound great, but they are restrictive. If that's not a big deal, go for it. The Dynomax Ultra and Borla XR1 series are straight-thru near-zero restriction (as well as some others). Best performance. Make sure you get SS and SS roving mesh (some free-flow mufflers use fiberglass mesh/baffle inside which don't last long enough - the SS last indefinitely).
Old 11-25-2003, 05:18 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Skip's right about the restriction. The majority of it applies to Flowmasters 3 chamber mufflers, and their 40 and 50 series Delta Flows. An original 40 series is a 2 chamber muffler that has little restriction, but slightly less than the factory Bischoff or Bosal mufflers.

I used to have a Dynomax UltraFlo, great muffler but it fell apart and the perforated tube rattled inside it....nevertheless it was a production defect. Dynomax mufflers are still good quality mufflers.

Skip, straight thru's won't the NA car's performance suffer due to a back pressure issue? I recall loosing some low end on mine but gaining high end....

Old 11-25-2003, 05:40 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I was considering the Flowmaster Series 40 DeltaFlow, but it not being stainless steel makes me very wary about it. A friend installed thhe same 40 series mufflers on his 5.0 Mustang, after about a year they began rusting. And dont just tell me once you put anything on a Mustang it will rust...i give him crap for that all the time! I was however looking at the Borla XR-1 series mufflers, but they only come in 2.5 inch inlet/outlet (i know its not a big deal to fit it to a 2.25 inch inlet) and i have a feeling that may be too loud for my (and my fathers) liking.

My friend installed a MagnaFlow setup on his V6 Explorer, makes the thing sound like a V8...and hell, Mario Andretti endorses them! I really would like to go Borla, but without any prior experience i think i am enclined to go MagnaFlow.

identity crisis, what were the specs on the muffler you bought and did you go with the MagnaFlow XL or Universal Stainless Steel line?
Old 11-25-2003, 05:47 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by EuroSpec944
I used to have a Dynomax UltraFlo, great muffler but it fell apart and the perforated tube rattled inside it....nevertheless it was a production defect. Dynomax mufflers are still good quality mufflers.

Skip, straight thru's won't the NA car's performance suffer due to a back pressure issue? I recall loosing some low end on mine but gaining high end....

Same thing I am experiencing now with my Dynomax UltraFlo Oval.. the inside is rattling... been on there just over a year now - mostly track miles since then. Will probably replace with a Borla.

I heard and believed that stuff about the na backpressure thing for years. When we started dynoing 944 ITS cars locally, we found it was rubbish. The only appreciable losses we attributed to "too much" exhaust was on the short-pipe 3" stuff (MSDS header to 3" straight pipe with one bend). Here we suffered on the low torque but stilled gained HP. The best and mostly standard systems for race-only are MSDS, Bursch or Stahl headers to 2.5" or 3" pipe and a Borla XR1 at the end. Mine is staying 2.5" to optimize the mid-torque band (+20 over most other 2.5l cars - lets me exit corners in a hurry). The backpressure thing for the na is true, but often blown out of proportion. For a street car, you can't really get to that point... especially with a Flowmaster Flowmaster, and some variations of the Borla and Magnaflow (any "Turbo" muffler really), get the cool sound from resonating the exhaust in a chamber and thereby altering the tone. While it sounds pretty darn nifty, the only thing you'll really hear is the sound of my exhaust as I blow by.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:53 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

I have 2.5" piping as well, the loss is minimal on the low end. But what would happen if using a 2.5" collector on the header, then reducing the exhaust size back to 2.25" and using a straight through? would there still be a loss or gain in HP?

Old 11-25-2003, 06:45 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

IMHO, don't reduce to 2.25" (Stock size) when you can easily run 2.5" and get better flow.

Quick Reply: Muffler...Magnaflow or Borla.