Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the passenger seat be mounted on the driver side?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017 | 02:14 PM
mikehayes
Racer

Default Can the passenger seat be mounted on the driver side?

Hey guys, is it possible to mount a passenger seat on the driver side of the vehicle? I found a sport seat and would like to run a sport driver seat/regular passenger seat. Problem is it's a passenger.

Pros/cons I can think of:
lean forward tab on wrong side
back angle adjustment wheel on wrong side (maybe makes mounting it impossible?)
Slide adjustment handle on wrong side

Questions:
Can any of the aformentioned hardware be easily relocated to the opposite side? I would be reupholstering it anyway to I could get driver side leather if that's possible.
Old 08-02-2017 | 03:19 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mikehayes
Hey guys, is it possible to mount a passenger seat on the driver side of the vehicle? I found a sport seat and would like to run a sport driver seat/regular passenger seat. Problem is it's a passenger.

Pros/cons I can think of:
lean forward tab on wrong side
back angle adjustment wheel on wrong side (maybe makes mounting it impossible?)
Slide adjustment handle on wrong side

Questions:
Can any of the aformentioned hardware be easily relocated to the opposite side? I would be reupholstering it anyway to I could get driver side leather if that's possible.
Based on what you're describing, you're probably working with an early-dash car, meaning the seatbelt mount is on the car, not the seat. That makes it easier/harder- I did almost the exact same swap on my car as a short-term bandaid until I could get around to reupholstering the seats.

You won't have room for the back angle wheel, as it will interfere with the seatbelt. I was able to remove the plastic portion of the wheel and get enough space for the belt, but it makes adjusting the recline somewhere between difficult and impossible. You can do it to get it right, but don't think you'll be tweaking it on a whim.

The fold-forward tabs are just going to be on the wrong side of the seat. It's manageable, but annoying.

The rails are separate from the seat itself, so the lever to slide the seat fore and aft can be transferred from your existing seat with no issues.
Old 08-02-2017 | 04:29 PM
mikehayes
Racer

Thanks for the info. Yes mine's an early car. I expected the recliner problem, I can defintely deal with that, just set it and forget it. One other question I just thought of, maybe it's crazy, can the foam of the passenger seat be taken off and put on my driver side frame? is the frame itself different from a sport seat?
Old 08-02-2017 | 04:35 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info. Yes mine's an early car. I expected the recliner problem, I can defintely deal with that, just set it and forget it. One other question I just thought of, maybe it's crazy, can the foam of the passenger seat be taken off and put on my driver side frame? is the frame itself different from a sport seat?
At least in my case, I find that the seat tends to sort of 'wander' to a more reclined position, so every few weeks I end up fiddling with it to get it a bit more upright.

I don't think the kind of swap you're talking about is feasible... I'd be willing to believe you could transplant the upper or lower section, but I think most of the structure probably comes from the overall frame than just foam.
Old 08-02-2017 | 05:28 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

... can the foam of the passenger seat be taken off and put on my driver side frame? is the frame itself different from a sport seat?
I can confirm from experience that the frame on a sports seat is different.

Quick Reply: Can the passenger seat be mounted on the driver side?