Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block split around temp sensor - now what...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 06:36 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Oil and coolant-soaked cast aluminum is a welding challenge in any environment, especially with the engine in the car, but no reason not to try -- right? The first pass or two will probably create dirty, porous welds as the contaminants are cooked out. If you grind those out, each next pass tends to get better. As for decking the surface, I'd try welding it back so the broken piece is just a few thousandths high, then use a wet-stone to "machine" it flush with the rest of the deck. If you've never ever prepped the oil mounting surface like that, as instructed by the FSM, you'd be amazed how easy it is to get a flat, glass-smooth surface across a joint like that. You are pushing a rock uphill for sure, but no reason not to try I'd say.
There is a reason not to try - the wasted money and time on a solution that won't work would be better spent on beer, hookers or blow...

The only way to weld an aluminum object that large is to first pre-heat it. But, even with that technique, the block will still crack (in other places) when it cools... I know from experience.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:11 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
There is a reason not to try - the wasted money and time on a solution that won't work would be better spent on beer, hookers or blow...

The only way to weld an aluminum object that large is to first pre-heat it. But, even with that technique, the block will still crack (in other places) when it cools... I know from experience.
Cheap Canadian welding equipment no doubt.

Seriously, I have a TIG welder within reach of the car, so I'd only be into it for the cost of half a filler rod, but I hear you.

Quick Reply: Block split around temp sensor - now what...