Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more intake pictures

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 05:05 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if you read my earlier post I am using power tools
I'm just having trouble getting into all the nooks and crannies.
My dad is gonna see if he can get a flexible extension so i can stick a bristle wheel into the arms and improve airflow.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:17 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you mess with the inside of the manifold it will decrease airflow. smooth is not always better necessarily... porsche designed it that way for a reason. do it if you want, but it's pretty retarded to mess with it. if you were to try that i'd go with some type of flexible hone, but also think about all the shavings you'll be making in there, not something i'd want going into my engine...

-Michael-
Old 11-24-2003, 05:20 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

well lets see..............
you know all the litlle bumps that are in there?
look on the outside.
THATS whats inside
and no.....porsche did not design the intake to be all bumpy
we talked to a welder at a shop that handles porsche parts and he told us that early porsche and bmw castings sucked
as you can see
and how can it being smooth NOT help???
why do you think they smooth it out when the polish/powder coat/ or coat it with anything else?
not to be mean...............

still friends????
Old 11-24-2003, 07:11 PM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

smoothed runners would absolutely help
I have a box of these things from Standard Abrasives, they're called cross-buffs. Actually, two boxes - a medium and a fine grit. If you put those on a flexible extension you can get the runners to shine. It's just a cheap alternative because there's no where near me that extrude hones.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:30 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a flexible butterfly to make the inside of my intake look like the outside of yours. Performance over looks any day in my book.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:12 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Travis - sflraver
I used a flexible butterfly to make the inside of my intake look like the outside of yours. Performance over looks any day in my book.
Ok Travis I did a search for "flexible butterfly" and I am not quite sure what this has to do with the inside of your intake but OK

But seriously where can one get something online to try this?
Old 11-24-2003, 10:14 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

taz, that is funny as Hell!!!
Old 11-24-2003, 10:51 PM
Cass944
Drifting

hahaha
Old 11-24-2003, 11:01 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

ROFL!!!!

The chrome is just too bling-bling for me.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:17 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

take an aerodynamics class or two, ashton... my, it's nice to see a 15 year old knows more about airflow characteristics than an aviation student.

just because they smooth it to powder coat (on the OUTSIDE) doesnt mean it helps airflow, its the only way they could get to all the surface to make the paint/powder stick to the surface properly.

fyi, turbulent airflow has much better surface adherence than does smooth airflow(hence vortex generators on aircraft), so by making the boundary layer of the interior of the intake turbulent, its helping the rest of the airflow maintain velocity. that adhesion helps to reduce drag inside of the intake, and makes the air flow faster into the engine.

so, your WELDER 'handles' porsche parts, thats fantastic. now, does he design things based on aerodynamic principles? i know for a fact Porsche does, and heck they even did at the time of making our cars too.

also, the only way i could think of extrude honing as helping airflow would be to make bigger intake runners, and increase volume. i'm not sure how that would help, as the intake needs velocity, and air at certain resonant frequencies to operate efficiently. if you make it bigger and the engine is still set up to use a smaller intake runner, you're going to affect the engine operation, most likely in a negative way. perhaps small, but negative nonetheless.

perhaps you should do a little research before you haul off and bother to polish out the inside of that intake.

-Michael-
Old 11-24-2003, 11:29 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

EDIT Michael beat me to it and pretty much said it better, but I'll leave my post up too

Polishing the intake runners is not really all that beneficial when you compare the cost in man hours to the added (or lost) power. What Michael was trying to point out is that if you polish the hell out of the intake runners (inside) and actually hog out a lot of material you can actually decrease the intake velocity, thereby decreasing power. Most of the stuff I've read, and the "experts" I've talked to, about doing head work for instance, will tell you that you really just want to improve the flow path. You don't want to do anything to decrease compression (we're still talking about my head work example) or screw up port velocity. They ALL say that internal polishing is a waste of time (smooth is good, polished is a waste). You have to remember that the imperfections in the runners are pretty small/low and will likely sit well within the boundary layer without affecting flow too much.

Regarding tools, you need to think about a die grinder with a cone buff and some cutting compound, NOT polishing compound. It will get into the tight places better than that wheel or sand paper. And wear a good mask, that stuff is really bad for you lungs. Also, the castings are really porous, and like everyone had already said, will dull over time. Keep the polished bits wiped down (Boeshield) and you should be OK. I polished off the PORSCHE on my cam tower three years ago and haven't really done much too it since and it still looks pretty shiney.

Don't polish cast wheels. At least without clear coating afterward.

Last edited by Manning; 11-25-2003 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:37 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

OK OK I will leave my intake manifold alone until I am ready for an after market one. Thanks for the lessons on air flow!
Old 11-25-2003, 12:46 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

hehe manning - i'd guess its due to being driven daily, all that heat probably keeps it from oxidizing too much, maybe this would work on the intake manifold too...

-Michael- 'yet another reason to drive the car... a lot'
Old 11-25-2003, 12:57 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

What happens to all those fluid dynamics theories when you pressurizie the system? Do they still hold true?
Old 11-25-2003, 02:43 AM
FSTPRSH
Pro

I don't know as much about aerodynamics as I'd like, but I've always heard you NEVER want a completely smooth intake tract. The turbulence (I've heard) also helps atomize the fuel for more efficient combustion...hence more power than a non-turbulent system. Correct me if I'm wrong and explain why, I love the theories and numbers.

Quick Reply: more intake pictures