Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Southern California meet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 09:04 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say, if were going to do to do this in LA, that we meet somewhere, drive a nice route (I gaurantee they they wont be crowded except for possibly PCH, and then have dinner after we worked up a nice appetite from dirving. We can continue afterwards, or disperse at that time, either way. Is eveeryone familiar with the El Camino shoping center in woodland hills/Calabasas? We could meet there then take mulhuland dr to mulhuland highway stay on that till we reach stunt road on our left, take the awsome 8 mile road up i the top. We can stop at the top, theres plenty of parking room up there for pictures ect, we move on down, we get to Tuna Rd. A ONE WAY twister that your sure to love, it spits up onto PCH. we can take PCH to decker Cny, which is really nice. After that I am out of ideas, I geuss we could drive more or and go to the resteraunt, or just go straight from decker to the resteraunt. If any of you know these roads, you know its worth it! I think the only fair thing to do is have a vote on venue, then We'll know LA or San diego right away. I' going to make a poll in US western region forum, I'll link it once its done. Go vote for Los Angeles or San diego.

~Eyal
Old 11-25-2003, 09:10 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Vote on where you think our winter drive and dine should be here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=100671

~Eyal
Old 11-26-2003, 02:12 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Bump for the people who didn't vote yet.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:38 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys

Angelest Crest has got to have the best driving roads I've ever been on. Very little traffic, wide roads, and you can go for miles and miles and miles on and on... A good place to get lost for sure.

Something to consider.

TonyG
Old 11-26-2003, 02:39 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Well, I'm in San Diego, just got my car back on the road after replacing the starter soleniod. 2000+ miles of driving (just in town!) since end of September.

I could do either San Diego or Los Angeles. Would like to pick Legoland's (or was it SoCal Driver) brain on how to do that "shortcut" cam tower gasket change at this event.

Kevin
Old 11-26-2003, 11:29 PM
Mel928944
Advanced

Friends,

I am new to the 924/944/968 part of Rennlist, but have been active in 928 club events recently. Let me introduce myself. I'm Mel928944, and that gives you a hint that I'm into the water-cooled cars. There's a few issues of organizing an event like this:

Question 1: Does the 944 community want this to be a big Porsche car meet, or just 924/944/968? Any way is fine, in fact such an exclusive run allows for more model-specific mingling. On the other hand, more cars mean more eye candy for any car enthusiast, more learning, a bigger party.
I ask this because there are many potential participants who are just waiting to be called for a fun run, any fun run. The 928s just had "Sharktoberfest" mid-Oct., and we had 40+ cars attend, a fun run that started on PCH on Latigo Canyon Road, LOTS of thrills, windy, narrow roads, then to Kanan, then Mulholland, to Stunt Road, finishing on ONE-WAY Tuna Canyon. This takes maybe 2 hours with the photo opportunity at Stunt where people can socialize. In fact we just had a 928 Malibu Fun Run this past Sun. Nov. 23rd (see the posts on the 928 site - 5 928s, 1 911) ON THE VERY SAME COURSE, THIS PAST SUNDAY. I led the cars, my qualification only being that I work in this area driving the canyon roads every now and then rebuilding the dozen or so hidden tanks. So I have some familarity with these roads. Eyal951, your choices are all good routes. But, which pump station are you referring to? On which road? I don't know if any of them have much room.

Question 2: What price range does the group want to spend on lunch? Since this is scheduled for the winter, it would be nice to start somewhat early, then have lunch, when there's much daylight to see whatever road. For about $30+ a person there's Duke's Malibu, or Gladstone's. Or for casual lunching there's Malibu Seafood not too far west of Malibu Canyon Road, $7-12. OR, if you want another extended leg of PCH zooming, there's Neptune's Net the group could head to after the descent on Tuna Cyn Rd., maybe another 20-25 mins. to the Ventura County border, more parking than Malibu Seafood, price $8-14.

During the summer, I drive these canyon roads AFTER work a lot. Decker is a much trickier route, especially descents. My 951's spoilers sometimes scrape (but of course I was going fast on the curves). Your brakes will smell if you drive Decker spiritedly. The same for Tuna Cyn, albeit it is SAFER since it is ONE Way. Going up Stunt Rd. in a normally aspirated 944 rpms will be in the 3000-4500 range. I was once following an SL500 and of course I had to hustle to keep up (since it had 2X the cyl., at least 2X hp and torque). Fun straightaways in Mulholland, but lots of bikers and cyclists.

Once there is a consensus, I'd be more than willing to assist on anything. I've been wanting to also be active on 944 events. If you have to know, I love the 928 as the ultimate Gran Turismo car, BUT, I love the 944 as the best-handling car (of the era). Which car was the first Porsche I ever loved? Guards Red 1983 944.

Mel928944
Old 11-26-2003, 11:52 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Mel928944, thank you! You touched on excellent point! and these roads are awsome, i have many a spirited runs on them as well. I think Tuna is a must, but maybe we should slow down the group for that one, its a bit dangerous for first timers. One road we avoid is Piuma, that one has bad kharma if you will, turns will trick you, they tighten up on you and you will underestimate the turn and end up in a gaurd rail. I think a "casual" priced meal is better to plan on.

I meant meet at the El Camino shopping center, its a huge parking lot. you know, vons, mcdonalds, Islands, taco bell, wherehouse, bank of america, and a bunch of other stores, trust me, the lots big enough. Its on Mulhuland Drive, right off the 101.

On the topic of other models, I think, and this is my opinion, that ths should be a 944 ORGANIZED event, but ANYBODY is more then welcome, I say the more the marrier!

I think Mel should be in charge of planning, lol. I'll help if that is the case. Oh, and if we do these roads, my house is an option for meeting, its right off of mulhuland HWY.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:58 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Oh, and if you have not yet voted for the city that you want the meet to be held in (LOS ANGELES vs. san diego) please do so here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=100671

~Eyal
Old 11-28-2003, 04:39 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Anyone else in?
Old 11-28-2003, 04:50 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heh, been busy. My car is at Anderson Motorworks right now, for her clutch work. Stupid roommate pushed the envelope with my car, by saying I couldn't park it in the garage until his "daddy's harley" was put back together. So, I made him tow my car all the way down to Anderson's...after all, stupid roommate is the one who blew my clutch!

I am also debating on tires...I need to get a complete set, mine are TOAST, and it's time, or I can't have fun with her.

- Julie
Old 11-28-2003, 05:06 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

hehe my front tire blew yesterday, and I was driving for like 2 miles before I noticed it
Old 11-28-2003, 05:11 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Woah! You and your 951 are okay, right, Cyrus?

- Julie
Old 11-28-2003, 05:16 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Yeah we're both fine, but the rims are a little scratched up. It's okay though, there's a shop in OC that can repair it. Btw- Julie, Are you planning on attending?
Old 11-28-2003, 09:21 PM
Mel928944
Advanced

My suggestion is to have the event Sat. Dec. 20th, something fun to start the following holidays. Beyond that date some people may be travelling, and may be gone for a few weeks. Eyal of course is the exception, as he is travelling to HERE (home). BTW, Eyal, I think it's good you took the initiative to mention the driving to be had here in the Santa Monica Mountains. Eyal, meeting at the shopping center is fine, but that would add time to wherever we'd go to next. It's actually fine by me anywhere to meet, I'm just suggesting to meet at a place where we can start the run ASAP. Prospective attendees: please express your preference where to meet, so we can plan.

As I understand, this is and should rightfully so, a 944-sponsored event, but is open to other enthusiasts. It appears from the responses folks want a casual, $8-14 lunch.

I suggest to meet at the intersection of Latigo Canyon Rd./PCH at 10 AM, Dec. 20, 2003. Trip will be as described in my post 11/26, about 2 hours. Then, take a right on PCH to go to Neptune's Net - a lot of parking, no need for reservations. After lunch and talking, those interested could go back south on PCH, then take Decker Canyon Rd. north, get a flavor of this road, end up at Westlake Blvd., at Westlake Village, then find the 101 FWY. I estimate this would be around 3:30 PM by then.

If those who plan to attend would voice what they think, then we could have a consensus and I could work out more details, but until then, this is just a suggestion. I'm open to any other routes/venues/dates.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:21 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

But of course, with or without my 944.

- Julie

Quick Reply: Southern California meet?