Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free Racer Simulation.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 02:31 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also set the cars to be on when it loads, if you mess around in the /ini's for each car. Once you figure out what you're doing you can change every value for the car. I made a 600 torque S2
Old 11-23-2003, 02:49 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

I have and went through the process at the racer extreme site I posted above and have had no problems at all. I have Windows XP Pro with all the latest updates, DX9.whatever, with an Audigy Soundblaster and a GeForce 3 64MB video card. Never had it even hiccup so far.

Yes, we need to all get together and come up with some INI files that handle and drive like a real 944 would....and then we can tweak turbo settings, enhanced suspension, etc. to have a nice stable set of car files to use.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:02 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've already started working on a 944 Turbo Cup mod.

I've started my own model from scratch, and I've taken the ini from the S2 and tuned the ****z out of it. I've stolen the pacjeka tyre values from the 350z because that car handles excellent, but I've plugged in some lowered, stiffened suspension settings for my car. It's hard to simulate the turbo lag/boost.

If you drive it like you'd drive it in real life, it feels pretty close, but don't expect to floor it all the time and then think it'll hang on to the road, cuz it'll loop you faster than you can say "doughnut"
Old 11-23-2003, 04:13 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Kewl....I have a 944 Turbo model pretty well done (see my avatar), things missing are things the model in the game probably doesn't need like windshield wipers. I've also already modeled the extra front spoiler down there as well.

Yep....I need to go get that 350z. I read a lot of great things about it and want to study it for replacement.

I'll be happy to help you "road test" the INI file. Oh, I'm sure....I've had my car sideways on the road with what it has under the hood....

We need to get a great sound too. I tried one of my car at idle using a couple of different "natural sound" rpm values, but it sounds either really silly up top or really bad altogether if I set a higher vallue.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:17 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

I'll get Ian Mannings car to use as a sound check

He's got basically a straight through high flow exhaust. His car sounds liek a real turbo cup, especially when he removes the cat.

WOW./
Old 11-23-2003, 07:41 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

I downloaded new video drivers from the Nvidia website and all is well.

I need to download some cars and tracks...
Old 11-23-2003, 09:38 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Check out forum.racecentral.com and the racer xtreme site for some great stuff.

Glad to hear it's working for you now....

Awesome Rich! That would be way cool.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:50 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

I found a '91 944S2 on that forum, but the link thats given is down. Do any of you guys have it??
Old 11-23-2003, 09:59 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

http://www.gripping.dk/944s2publicbeta1.zip

See if that works.....I just tried the link for it on http://www.racer-xtreme.com and it worked fine for starting it. At my puny dialup speed, it takes forever to send stuff out of here....if that doesn't work though, lmk and I'll email it out to ya. Several other nice Porsches there as well.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:04 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Oh, I decided to do a quickrace (I have the updated track now, but don't know how that will work yet) and I decided to drive the S2 versus the computer in an S2. I never saw him. Went back and started over and he was there, just driving like a grandma.....I followed him around a bit, then he took offroading like he was in a Cayenne or something....

Please don't let computers drive Porsches
Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2003, 01:50 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys...got that turbo done yet??
Old 12-11-2003, 10:32 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

I'm just about done with the first body and interior (I'm sure it could use a lot of tweaking) and lack the wheels to go. I am building mine from my high res 951 and I've been back building/repairing things on it so that I can build the low res version from that (backwards yes, but I want to get the high res car done as well

I have been driving some other cars I've found for it, hoping to find a good INI to play with. I got a Mazda RX7 TT that has a pretty nice one and I also found and got a Ford Cosworth that was drivable and had a pretty decent handling setup for it. The situation with this game is that since virtually all of the INI files are done by the people who made their own cars, often they are not accurate or don't drive properly (especially when the people making these cars often cannot afford, don't know much about besides the numbers they get from spec sheets, and have never even driven these cars for either the reason that they know no one with one to drive or they are just too young to drive!).

Rich, you still watching this? Getting close with your INI file yet? How about your model? If you are quite a ways from having your model done, I'm open to working with you to put a car together from both of our work.

I'd really like to find someone interested in doing some of the painting for these cars. I can do the building fairly quickly and I can paint them, but I've also got some other 3D stuff and other jobs going that severely limit my time on some days. I have interest in building a bunch of cars to go into the game if I can find someone who will take the models, convert them, and do the final details to get them into the game and once a single paint job is done, it's also easy for other people to get their cars into the game by making paint changes and I can supply new wheel models to put in as well.

Anybody here interested? Probably need Photoshop or similar to be able to paint alpha channels for transparency. That would let me get into doing the modeling changes for having a 924, 944NA, and 968 along with some body changes like rear wings, widebody kits, and of course lots of other cars....I have a hankering to build me an Aston Martin Vanquish.....and to convert my 930 into a Racer car as well....then it would be easy to have a 964 and a 993 from that. Okay, I have too many things I want to do
Old 12-11-2003, 12:10 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Haven't touched it in a while.

Biggest issue is getting the "turbo lag" effect. I can't get a correct Boosting feeling out of it..
Old 12-11-2003, 01:27 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Hmmm.....I haven't looked at the INI files in a while, but if you can setup the torque curve, you could probably just keep it low and raise it at the rpm where boost would come on for a particular setup. That wouldn't quite be the same shifting and punching it at higher speed when you weren't in boost, but it would simulate the majority of it as in my car punching it takes just a hesitant moment before boost onset occurs and it takes off.

Looking at the torque.crv file, it would be possible to pretty well simulate a full throttle dyno run to have the power come up quickly at 3000 or 3200 or whatever depending on the turbo. Either by playing with the numbers or some such, maybe we can tweak that in. I see an intertia for the rear end and for the engine. Maybe make that inertia really low or something....I'll maybe try to play with it and see. Maybe that will give us some acceleration lag when you first punch it, no matter what the full power boost would be. It should be mentioned to the people writing it right now that the engine should be modified to include a boost.crv file or a max boost setting and then maybe a compressor inertia setting to determine how fast it slows down. From that you could really start figuring out when the BOV should go off and when the turbo engine whistle should play. The RX7TT has a whistle that comes on as you get up in rpm and accelerate, which is pretty neat, but its wayyy too loud. That and the turbo cars don't really drop the turbo spool sound once you left off the gas, so maybe we can suggest that as well with the turbo inertia being related to rpm change/throttle setting or something.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

I have to try the RX7TT.

I'm sure it can be done, it's just a matter of time and effort.

It would be nice to have the car in F12002 and do a Turbo Cup series.

Quick Reply: Free Racer Simulation.....