924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

no start 924 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:54 PM
shmark
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default no start 924 turbo

Hi folks, jumping over from the 928 list. Some friends and I did something silly...we bought a 924 turbo for running in the 24 Hours of LeMons and we're trying to get it running. Right now the car is with one of the team in South Carolina and he's trying to get it started. So far here's the story, any ideas?

<Tim>
OK, I am not an expert with these things and I don't have any manuals, so here goes:

Started with the clutch. Line to the MC was broken. repl and bled clutch but pedal stays at the floor. Bled brakes, no fluid from both pass side caliper (who needs brakes, anyway?

Moved on to the motor. removed and replaced spark plugs. Put a little oil in the cylinders for the sake of it (a few drops)

Drained about 1/4 qt of oil (that's all that was in there). filled. Could not get filter off and gave up. The little oil I removed was very clean.

Moved to starting: put a battery in and at first it woudl not turn. Kept trying. beat the starter lighty and got it to turn over. Sounds pretty rough and turns over kinda slow. That's the best I got in that dept. Didn't get a bump or anything.

Checked spark - OK from #1 cylinder

Fuel - Removed and checked both fuel pumps. Internal pump is fine but the seal is dead - needs replacing. External pump is bad (gets VERY hot!) and does not turn. Replaced with F150 pump (don't ask) good for 60-90 psi.

Checked fuel at the fuel distributor - there is flow

Removed line to #1 fuel injector - no flow.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:04 PM
shmark
Drifting

Here's the beastie.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:17 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is going to be awesome.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:24 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by shmark
Here's the beastie.
I keep an eye out for the one my dad used to own..... That ones been repainted right?

Wheels look the same. What year is it?
Old 05-06-2008, 09:34 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

CIS may need a hell of a lot more pressure than the Ford pump will give. If the 931 is CIS, which I think it is.

Brake lines clogged? Haven't heard of that. The caliper may be rusty inside if water was in good supply in the brake lines.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:10 PM
timo944
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car is from NC originally, and has not been repainted. It is a 1980. It was last owned by somebody in Hendersonville who had something to do with the Baptist church. It was parked and left alone for somewhere between 7 and 10 years. Picked it up for $325!

I wondered about the pressure form the Ford pump. I have a fuel pump from a 944 to try but it has different fittings and I don't want to butcher the line. Still, 50 or 60 psi should be enough, no? I had it installed on a Nissan and got 45psi no problem (and the Nissan has a regulator).

I just checked the fuel distributor - plate was sticking pretty bad so I freed it up. Still doesn't want to go though.

Questions:
- does this car have a cold start injector? How to check it?
- If the cold start solenoid is stuck closed, I suppose it wouldn't start, but I think they fail open?

Any ideas are appreciated....
Old 05-07-2008, 04:46 AM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car should have a cold start injector. At least my audi does and it's an 82 with CIS.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Dennis Wilson
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pump is going to be marginal for CIS as the stock pump is 80 psi (5.5 bar). Check the other items first. I would pull all of the connections off the fuel distributor and spray the interior with fuel injector cleaners. Also, there is a relief valve that mounts to the side of the fuel distributor (brass hex head) that needs removed, cleaned and o rings replaced if hard or broken. Be careful handling the valve and don't loose the spacers as these are factory set for the system pressure.

Next I would move on to the injectors which may be plugged. Often they can be cleared by putting cleaner in them then forcing 60 psi of compressed air into the inlet (wear goggles for this).

If you find the distributor is toast as many are after sitting dry for long periods, let me know as I have a spare.

Dennis
Old 05-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Dennis Wilson
Drifting

BTW if you are going to race it, you should upgrade to five bolt wheels with disk brakes all around.

Dennis
Old 05-07-2008, 10:48 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Whups. Bad choice of car. Well, anyway... you should've read this thread:
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=22724

So you've probably already made things worse by pushing junk dirty varnished fuel through a very precise, tight-toleranced system. And yes, it's CIS, and yes, it's an '80. So the trans is probably junk too.

Good luck with the budget - getting the fuel system working alone will kill your budget. Better to fix it properly and use another car for Lemons. You WILL NOT get the stock system working on that budget - all you're going to do is destroy a good, rare P-car.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:13 AM
shmark
Drifting

Thanks Vaughan, that is great information. And while it is a fairly rare Porsche, it was at a junkyard ready to be scrapped so rather than go to the crusher it's going into battle...very fitting for a Porsche. Between the four of us we've turned a wrench or two and I think we'll get it going.

Dennis thanks very much, we just might take you up on that if we can't get this one working. One thing is for sure, it's going to be fun!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Lizard928
Nordschleife Master

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

i agree with the comment about upgrading the 5 bolt suspension.
I would also recommend replacing the timing belt, and converting to standalone.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:16 PM
timo944
Instructor

The tank was titally dry when I got the car. Not sure why. So was the sump....

Will try to clean out the fuel distributor this evening.

Anybody know where I can get a fuel pump CHEAP?

Last edited by timo944; 05-07-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: added line
Old 05-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Dennis Wilson
Drifting

Hopefully they ran it dry, with the rest of the fuel system, before storing it. The lacquer from old gas can be a pain to clean out.

Concerning the cheap pumps, pierburg/pierberg makes a 6.5 bar pump that sells new for about $160. Check out the recent piedmont thread at www.924board.org for sources.

Dennis
Old 05-07-2008, 08:42 PM
timo944
Instructor

Well Dennis, maybe they did run it dry. I checdked the injectors and all but no. 1 is firing. Spray pattern looks "good enough" considering that I have about 60 psi.

One thing that puzzles me is the position of number 1 on the distributor. There is absolutelty no mark on the cap at all. When I got the car the No. 1 cyl was wired to the terminal on the front drivers side of the car. But, with the dot lined up to the "arrow" on the cam cover (about 11:00), the rotor is pointing at the rear passenger side. I verified this by finding TDC and it's about the same place.

So which i the terminal for #1, and I assume that the rotor turns clockwise?

BTW after chaning the plugs to fire in this order I didn;t get much to happen except a big puff back out of the intake....and a little smoke to boot.

TIA
timo

Quick Reply: no start 924 turbo