Fuel Supply Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 03:01 PM
aaroncuyler
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Supply Problems

Hi all,

I'm working on an 83 924 that's been not running for about 3-4 years. I've replaced the fuel filter, fuel distributor, injectors and have drained out the old fuel. After putting fresh fuel in and some system cleaner I could get it to run but would need to stay on the accelerator to get it to stay alive. After this, I adjusted the idle right out and the idle increased to 1500 and was stable. I cut the engine off and a few days later went back to try and start but will not turn over. I adjusted the air/fuel mixture on the distributor but no change. Seems like it's not getting fuel at all. Took the injectors out and cleaned, replaced but still the same problem. I've changed the spark plugs and have good spark. I unscrewed the top banjo bolts on the distributor and found there was alot of pressure in there- fuel shot out as I was undoing the bolts. Fuel pump runs constantly (is that normal), has a normal whine sound except when the key is turned and left in that position for a while, the whine can fluctuate higher and a bit lower. Perhaps the pump is working too hard? Any ideas here?

Cheers,
Aaron
Old 08-17-2019, 03:51 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Porsche did not import an '83 924 to North America...or ROW, far as I know. Your car has a 17-digit VIN, correct? What is the 10th digit...a "C"? If so, that would indicate your car is an '82.

Porsche added a second, in-tank, fuel pump [928 608 013 00] to the 924 in '79 [through '82]. There should be power/ground going to those two spade lugs on that in-tank filter/screen fitting to run your internal pump. Your car will not run, properly, until you resolve your missing harness issue.

Quick Reply: Fuel Supply Problems