Sponsored by:

A Few ?'s about 914's

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 06:10 PM
j200pruf
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few ?'s about 914's

Hey all, I am a newb to the 914. I am planning/designing my dream car right now, and I am settled on the 914. Currently I will purchse a pre 74 914, install a 13B P-Ported Rotary engine (about 300hp) with flared fenders, fairly wide tires and a improved suspension.
I would just like to know how much power and revs can the stock transaxle take before it will disintigrate? And for the suspension and body I am assuming there are quite a few companys that make upgrades right, if so coudl you please point me in the right direction. And lastly I am wondering if anyone here has does the rotary swap and would like to share their experience.

Thanks
-Justin
Old 08-03-2003, 12:06 AM
Zeke
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard of the rotary swap. I can't help much, but the 350 Chevy has been used quite a bit and they find the trannys to hold up pretty well unless you really abuse them or mash the gas in first. There is a stronger intermediate plate available. Renegade Hybrids in Las Vegas has some of the parts and infor you might be ineterected in. Kennedy Engiineering in Palmdale CA has a lot of adaptors, might have the rotary one.

On to what I know a little more about. You may not have to do that much to your suspension. You can add heavier T-bars in front and a bigger sway bar. Some 914s don't have any sway bars at all. Put one in. On the rear it is very easy to change out springs and the original ones aren't much good anyway.

You might also consider better brakes. A BMW 320i caliper can be used up front or you can swap in some 911 brakes. Brake mods often go hand in hand with a switch to a five lug wheel. To do this, you need to swap in some 911 struts. Take your time studying this issue before buying the first ones you see. Then you can install redrilled hubs in the rear to complete the 5-lug swap.

So, a tuned up suspension of mostly stock components and some better brakes should get the project rolling. As for wings, scoops and fender flares, I'm not a big fan. But, yes, there are several companies that make fiberglass body parts from the simple to complete tilt front ends.

Quick Reply: A Few ?'s about 914's