Sponsored by:

Looking at this 914-4

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 11:44 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 346 Posts

I did a 40 mile round trip from the executor's house to the dealer and back. It was interesting at first and became enjoyable as I became used to the odd shift pattern and poor braking. I didn't push the turns not knowing how old the tires are. The acceleration wasn't great but was acceptable when taken to red line. The dealer did a cursory inspection. There is leaking brake fluid from a connector in the brake lines. This undoubtedly explains the poor braking. The fuel pump has a loose connector with wires rubbing against the frame. The a/c runs very cold but stalls the car at idle, probably a feature if how much it drags the engine. The paint is poor and there are some rust bubbles on the rocker panels. However the mechanic couldn't find any rust elsewhere. The battery area looks great and the underside near the rear shock mounts is clean where you typically see rust according to the tech. The engine runs great and the shifting is smooth. I offered the executor $3k. He is going to check with a local air cooled Porsche racing guru to get an opinion on the value before deciding on my offer. The seats are horribly uncomfortable. Are there any aftermarket seats that could be put in this car which would be better?
Old 02-23-2014, 12:35 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

There are aftermarket seats but you want to make sure they'll fit in a 914... check the back of Excellence and check out 914 world. If they're stock seats they aren't that bad once you're used to it. And you probably won't be taking it for LONG trips!
As for the AC- I'd take it out- it will feel like a 2 1/2 cylinder car with that running- you want the top off anyway!! And it will run a lot cooler. I'm going to put my '73 in AZ when I'm done with it. It will be hot but I wouldn't think of running AC in a car like that. It's never going to be comfortable like a newer 911 etc...
Old 02-23-2014, 11:21 PM
Maltese Falcon
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ehokana
I wondered if there was any connection there...
Had a girlfriend that went to school on the west side at Mt. St. Mary's Chalon campus and I always found it humorous driving my 914 up there given the name
Absolutely...Chalon Drive now Getty Center off ramp. Travel west and it takes you to the museum parking+ shuttle lot, East takes you to the Bel Air gated entry to the 7 figure homes; which were low 6 figure homes when Mitcom made the Chalon body kit. Mt. St. Mary's is accessible off of Sunset Bl. just west of UCLA . Chalon campus same vicinity as Chalon Drive.
I would snap that car up for 3k!
Old 02-23-2014, 11:24 PM
Maltese Falcon
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Mark,
I left additional information on your quest over at the 914world.
Good luck on this purchase !
Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

^ thanks for your input. I'll post an update if I get the car.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:37 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can have those seats redone by Renegade Hybrids to get more side support. I have seen track 914s with racing seats, but I'm not sure what kind.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:07 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Yes, it is a cult car.. I took one in trade back in the 80s, one of Speedster Wolf's cars, and it was low buck fun too. That paint scheme was very common when the Chalon was 1st out. Check out the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eakd...ature=youtu.be

Old 04-11-2014, 10:04 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Any update??
Old 04-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's mine as soon as my friend gets the green light from the estate attorney to sell it to me.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:36 AM
ehokana
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Awesome! Having a car with sentimental value will make it even better- I've learned that
Old 04-28-2014, 10:59 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

There is a contract on the house where the 914 was stored, so I took the car to my Mom's house since she is nearby. I can't buy the car until the estate lawyer does whatever needs to be done to get me clear title, but once that happens I'll buy it. I enjoyed the 3 mile drive taking it to my Mom's place yesterday. This will be a fun little about town ride/autocross car. Not much hp, but it's so light I didn't feel it was overly slow.

Quick Reply: Looking at this 914-4